1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon] Reacher season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Entropy, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought it was a good watch. The ending went flat once that "mystery" was resolved.

It was a simple kind of story for a simple kind of man.

clos4life likes this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yes. He did not look the part but he did a great job acting it out.

Jontro and daywalker02 like this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Season 1 was better but I like that the show doesn't pretend to be any more than it is.

Supposedly in S3, he goes back to more of a solo mode, which is best IMO.

4. droxford

droxford Member

The first half of season 2 was ok. But then it started getting too stupid, and it seemed like they had enough story for four episodes, but stretched it out to eight.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yes. It was a thin story stretched out about 4 episodes too long but also somehow wrapped up too quickly. I was a good bit into episode 8 until I realized it was the finale and that’s how they were choosing to end it.

But as a show it was entertaining enough to kill some time and I’d watch a third season. That’s probably about the bar they’re trying to hurdle.

droxford likes this.
  6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I think my favorite part of season 2, was the "snipers" who couldn't hit open targets in the cemetery.

No Worries and Rocket River like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The "We're the smartest strongest fasters most accurate and sneaky folx in the room" thing got old
    There was no real stakes

Rocket River

K mf G and BigM like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

No One Goes Against the "Special Investigators"

K mf G and BigM like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There was a lot of Stormtrooper syndrome on this show.

clos4life, Invisible Fan and K mf G like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

When I saw the Jack Reacher movie I hadn’t read the books so didn’t know anything about the character. Tom cruise did a good job but it was also a very good story and great acting by Rosamund Pike and Werner Herzog always does a good job as the bad guy.

Jontro, clos4life and No Worries like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

The stakes were settled when half of his company died off screen. I get the streaming format demands constant viewing, but they could've gutted it for a now old-school tv season format of 13 semi-serial episodes to build his team's individual character (A-team inspired?). Normally the flashback would be the season, and killing T-1000 who killed reacher's bros would be the next or the segue to the next if there was a brilliant showrunner.

The Chatgpt rewrite formula cut too much fluff off that script...

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Forreal. They were badasses that we never saw do anything badass . . .not really
    The whole Is it Swan or isn't it thing felt so fake at the end
    OF COURSE ONE OF HIS GUYS WOULD *NEVER* BE BAD!!!
    How could he POSSIBLY be fallable or wrong . . .
    I would have really loved for swan to break bad and been the mastermind
    someone capable of a real challenger in intellect as well as training
    maybe that's a bit cliche .

Rocket River

clos4life and Invisible Fan like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I’ve read all of the Lee Child Reacher books. So I knew the basic plot for Season Two before watching.

A faithful rendition of what was in the book would have been closer to 4 episodes than 8.

Alan Ritchson is not strong enough actor to carry the show. There are way too many end of scenes where Ritchson just looks into the camera confused, pissed off.

Ritchson plays Reacher as a bit of an ass, which is seriously off character. If this is how the writers wrote it …

The show writers had to add characters and story arcs not in the book, to get 8 episodes. The new stuff just sucks.
    The bad guy looks to be toast at one point, but out of nowhere a helicopter full dudes with machine guns sweep in and save his ass. A great-big-o WTF.

I am now finished with Episode 6. I know how it likely ends. And I am unsure if I will gut out the last two hours.

clos4life and BigM like this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Loved Season 2.

15. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

You might as well gut it out. I doubt you'll be satisficed (I wasn't), but the final few minutes are good, and you get to hear a little good music along the way.

One question for you... I've only read a couple of the books. Does Reacher kill people in cold blood in the novels?

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

Whatever happened to the bone breaking action of S1? The S2 was somehow pretty mediocre, just didn't hit hard like S1.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No.

Reacher in the novels kills but they are not “cold blooded” kills. I would describe a typical Reacher kill as more like dispatching an enemy on the battlefield.

Ritchson is so 2D that he comes across as a bit of a psycho killer in the series. Tom Cruise did not.

In series 2, the writers had his old army buddies call him a “psychopath”, which is the writers showing that they did not understand Lee Child’s source material.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Season 2 of Reacher he does seems to go out of his way to get violence where as before it seemed like he was more of a thinker who wouldn’t fight unless he really had to.

No Worries likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

They definitely made the fights with placements of big hulkish guy vs rando black shirt baddies. People enjoy watching circus spectacles like whenever Wemby does a freakish playstation move against the competition.

I think they did show moments where Reacher was a deeply empathetic thinker, but they veered too much into the spectrum made popular by Cumberbach's take on Sherlock.

I guess it's because of acting limitations, though the meat and potatoes writing could just as easily be the bigger culprit.

#39 Invisible Fan, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  20. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

That's good to hear. There was one kill in S2 that seemed to be very out of character, from the little bit I know of the character at least, but I don't want to spoil anything.