1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. raining threes

Well this and the fact that they got shut out in game 1 when JV pitched well. The greatest improvements in the offense is going to have to come from Diaz playing full time and Pena hitting much better than he did lat year. I guess you could look at Meyer if he hits . 250 as an improvement,

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  2. raining threes

The bar for playing above avg defense with a weak arm and hitting MLB avg isn't a high goal to achieve. If one of the young guys is tearing up the minors Brown has proven if Meyers is struggling he will be aggressive moving them up. Let's face it the only reason Meyers is still here is because Brown couldn't find suitable value for him on the trade market. That should tell you what other team think of Meyers.

utgrad97 likes this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think this is overly simplistic.

The reason Meyers is still here is because Brown could not find a team that values him more, or as much as the Astros do. Therefore the offers were not acceptable to him.

That is totally different than nobody wanting him as your post infers. The Astros like him more than other teams which means he will have a shot.

Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm thinking they are looking for a reason to get both McCormick and Meyers in the field. When one fails or is injured, Jordan can play more LF where I think he belongs. If both thrive, it would be both a surprise and a blessing.

But I have to read between the lines which is much riskier than knowledge of what the players think.

Nook likes this.
  5. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I do not believe there are any questions we do not have the answer to regarding Meyers. He is a league average player in center field with a tendency toward injury. It takes a little more to play at the Astros level. Fortunately there are some very good players coming up in the system, beginning with bringing up Corona to be the fourth outfielder. Most days he should be able to play as good a CF as Meyers and some days much better. By mid season we will have one of the near ready outfielders to bring up and it will make sense to trade Meyers for prospects.

raining threes likes this.
  6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brown has stated a few times that they want to limit Yordan in the outfield. When he did his post winter meetings radio interview with Todd Kalas, he stated it's important to keep Yordan healthy throughout the season. I'm not sure why this is even being debated. His bat is more valuable to this team then his glove. He needs to be David Ortiz and that's it.

I think the two biggest questions in the outfield is whether or not Meyers is the guy to maintain his role as the CF. The second one is depth if there is an injury or two. I know others have posted about some of the depth in triple A, but are they major league ready to go? They want Dubon to play more in the infield to give others a rest.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And yet your three dream projections have not achieved being able to play in the majors much less hit that mark, the vast majority of prospects don't get 600 MLB PAs, and baseball people are putting Meyers as the starting CF of which only 30 people on the planet do every year on opening day. Most guys in the majors are better than randos in the minors.

This isn't to say one of them may be able to hit better than Meyers. Maybe all three of them hit better than Meyers. I doubt it is enough next season to make up for the number of doubles Meyers turns into outs.

I could be wrong. I'm wrong often as that is the nature of baseball. Being an average hitter in the majors is not easy. I'd say it is much more likely that Meyers plays signficantly worse than he has forcing the Astros to make a move (most likely for a player outside the organization) than an Astros prospect not named Dezenzo being better than him next year with Meyers being a slightly below average hitter.

#3987 Joe Joe, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Let's see how Corona does in AAA this year. Had a .774 OPS as a 23 year old in AA last year.
    Meyers had over a 1.000 OPS as a 25 year old in AAA for reference.

Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Starting from his knee injury in game #20 of the 2020 season, Yordan has missed 25% of the games (133 of 526).

Even after he recovered, he has missed 19% of the games (93 of 486) since the start of the 2021 season. He missed 30% last year.

Yordan needs to play 90+% of the games.

His bat is simply too important to risk him playing more than 40-50 games in the OF.

Maybe it would be different if he wasn't built like an NFL edge rusher, had a mere all star level bat, or was a gold glove caliber fielder.

But this Yordan needs to be a DH with 40ish starts in LF to keep him happy.

CheezeyBoy22 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Just an FYI, most of my comments are typically based on a more likely than not standard instead of the this is the absolute truth all-knowing future that is impossible to be wrong standard.

In the Meyers case, I'm highly confident he's the right choice as starting CF among guys within the organization, and it would take a lot of resources to get someone that is definitely better (without robbing from another position like sliding Chas from LF). I'd guess there is still a good chance he falls flat on his face. I'd guess there is also a decent chance he's better than expected the further he gets away from his shoulder surgery.

#3990 Joe Joe, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Wasn't McCormick on the bench vs lefties too, even though he was way better?

We have players who are better utilized vs lefties in Meyers and McCormick. This is one reason the far fetched notion of acquiring Trout appeals to me. He hit's better against righties, even while batting from the right. We have a perfect platoon players to match up vs lefties when he needs a day off.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But the problem (other than it setting the farm system back 2-3 years) would be Trout absolutely having to play everyday - not just against RHP. So that would keep Chas or Jake on the bench vs LHP and thereby completely ignore the problem at hand.

Not to mention who wants to give up a huge chunk of the organization's tradeable assets and pay a guy a kazillion dollars to sit weeks at a time on the IL?

Stephen66 likes this.
  13. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I think this is completely asinine ****ing bullshit.

InTheGroove likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So you are saying there is a team out that really wants Meyers, offered a good deal for him that Brown thought would help the Astros more, and Brown said no?

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No, it's the absolute truth.

If Brown and the Astros did not value Meyers he would not be here. Period.

You don't keep a guy on the roster and make him the favorite to win the starting job just because nobody wanted him and you could not trade him.

At least not a pre-arb player.

You just send him to AAA (like Matijevic or Paredes) until he's a minor league FA or simply DFA him.

So, as I said, he's here because no other teams were willing to give what they thought his value was - which is fairly high obviously.

BlindHog likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No. I think Brown and the Astros think Meyers is a 2.5WAR CF and all the other teams are only willing to give 1WAR value for him in trade.

17. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

What about Chas playing fulltime and getting another 250 plate appearances? He had 457 PAs. Bregman, for example, had 724 PAs. Chas had a higher OPS than Bregman (.842 to .804). I'm not picking on Bregman, more picking on Dusty for sitting Chas too much.

Stephen66, raining threes and Tomstro like this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was responding to utgrad's post that suggested your post was bullshit. If your post is bullshit, it means a team wanted Meyers, offered a good deal, and Brown said no.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My bad. Need my glasses lol.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm thanking Dusty...
    for not being here. He said we would.

Stephen66 likes this.