1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Jalen Green's trade value now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 14, 2024.

?

What is Jalen Green's trade value now?

1. 2-4

2. 5-8

3. 9-12

4. 13-17

5. 18-23

6. Late first

7. Seconds

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Keep him unless part of a major trade for a star.

vince and cbass like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I want him to continue to do well all-around (not just scoring), because
    • I want every Rocket to do well
    • I want the Rockets to win every game
    • It's a no lose proposition - either he becomes consistent and contributes to winning, or at least he increases his trade value

IvanLCPM, Y2JT, Streakshooter and 4 others like this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's had stretches of good games before so not getting my hopes up yet, but if he were to play at this level more often the ceiling of this team is significantly higher.

BaselineFade and Zen Tabak like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I want to

• Know the future.
    That all.

Rokman likes this.
  5. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

He's had stretches of good games in the Silas era, but maybe a lot of that was just mathematical variance of taking bad shots, some nights they go in more often than not and the kid looks like a top talent. Then a week later it's back to brick town.

But this does feel like turning the corner, in my opinion. He's had a few great games in a more legitimate basketball situation than we had with Silas. He's grabbing boards, finding better shots, making plays for other guys, playing D.

It seems more like something has clicked for Jalen, not just getting a few lucky dice rolls.

Plowman, cbass and mfastx like this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's coming around. Sell on the short cover or Let it Ride?

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Morey and Co were good at understanding the law of averages which is the best way to assess a player. All players will have hot streaks - days, weeks, whatever but all things return to the mean. If you want to see Jalens future you have to look at the history and what his averages are. He's riding a hot streak, sell now.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You don't sell a 21 year old capable of putting up games like this. Absolutely not.

Jrocketj, justinh, JayGoogle and 5 others like this.
  9. vince

vince Member

Against the Lakers, Green played fluidly in getting his numbers. Which is what you want to see. It’s not like he was on fire and just heat checking. Consistently he was beating his defender off the dribble and making layups like it was practice.

Green has the talent to replicate that level of performance consistently. I would say, unless it’s for a major trade, they Rockets would be better served to ride with Green.

BamBam, Plowman and Zen Tabak like this.
  10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i agree. We're not trading him or any of our big six. maybe eason. He's the replaceable one. Ppl must not forget the amount of pressure Jalen puts on opposing defenses with his ability to push the pace in transition even if his shot is not falling. Even in the half court, defenses half to cover him or jalen will just drive in and junk. So this doesn't show up in his stats, but it wears opposing defenses down, especially older teams, and someone else scores, someone else gets space. We are not selling low on Jalen Green. We'd be fools. Dearron fox doesn't have the best 3 point shot either.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What would be telling is if all the other GM's in the league were asked the OP's question and we got truthful answers.
    We dont even know what our own GM thinks given I dont trust media quotes one bit.

#271 jim1961, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    Plowman likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Green's value is highly dependent on team situation of hypothetical trade partners. Green's value is significantly less on a contender needing one additional piece to get over the hump. Green's value is significantly higher for a team searching desperately for a future star in the middle of a rebuild.

13. MystikArkitect

No reason to sell now. His value in the summer won't change to what it is now. Smart thing is to see if Ime's unlocked something here for the rest of the season. If he goes back to pumpkin status then you package him in the offseason with the Nets picks for a star. Issue is that there are no good SGs out there to trade for that want out.

Either way Cam should be starting over him next season. Jalen at his highest peak is Cam almost every time he's on the court.

BamBam and Rokman like this.
  14. fchowd0311

Cam averages more turnovers than assists something Jalen will never do even when he was 19.

They have different talents. If you asked Can to do Green's role as the secondary ball handler behind FVV with the same amount of defensive attention Green gets, what do you imagine Cam's assist to turnover ratio to be?

Do you think he'd get the same looks in Green's role?

Green had a lower turnover rate his rookie year than Cam while dribbling the ball a lot more against set half court defenses. Just for reference Cam has 30% of his makes unassisted. Green as a rookie was at 50%. So Green dribbled the ball a lot more against set defenses his rookie year and still was less turnover prone.

You aren't accounting for different roles.

#274 fchowd0311, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    Little Bit likes this.
  15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Green is one of the most frustrating players I can remember. He shows you time and time again what he is capable of - and after putting together a bunch of great games, he gets into a big hole and putting together an even greater number of bad to horrible games.

The talent is there - and I really hope, that he starts to get what Ime is trying to teach him and that his bad stretches were a byproduct of him trying to learn to play basketball the Ime way (and probably the right way). I still think he is the player on our team with the highest upside. But if he can't keep his play up like he did the last couple of games for a lot longer and than has "bad" stretches that are still ok after that, I would be starting to think about a future without him after this season. But I would give him this one full season to prove himself.

IvanLCPM, jim1961 and tagedieb like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

17. fchowd0311

No player is a lock to be.part of the core except Sengun and that isn't even 100%

We have no clue how guys like Amen and Cam will do scaled up to starter level usage and defensive attention.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think teams are asking about Jalen but Rockets aren't biting.

Like I've been saying, I am pretty sure Jalen has higher value than people around here think. You're going to get a lot for him giving his age and potential. Rocket's aren't trading Green for some mid-round pick and a bench vet. No way in hell.

If Green is traded Rockets are getting an all-star back.

BamBam, jcmoon and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mikal Bridges has to be the most overrated player in the Rockets community.

Mikal Bridges?! What about Mikal Bridges!? Jabari for Bridges? Jalen for Bridges? Should we give the Nets all their picks back for Bridges?! I’d give all the picks back for Bridges! Mikal Bridges? What about Bridges?! Bridges? Bridges!

BamBam, Zen Tabak, Plowman and 3 others like this.
  20. fchowd0311

Other teams that are not contending and trying to find a future potential star with high upside see a disappointing season for Green and are hoping they can bait the Rockets into trading him for some late first rounders and a decent rotational player probably. That's probably where the chatter comes from.