1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Internet Provider other than ATT

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by clos4life, Jan 28, 2024.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Clutchfans Brethren,

My AT&T bill for just phone and internet has gone up several times last year, for over 16 dollars in 1 year's time. Do any of you have recommendations for better Houston high speed internet provider that will also give me a landline? Or at least a highly reliable high speed internet?

DreamShook likes this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Is Tachus available in your neighborhood? It's internet only, but I've had it for over a year and have had literally zero outages after experiencing daily outages with Suddenlink. $65/month.

clos4life likes this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

Following because I am looking to make a change from Xfinity when my contract expires in a few months. Prices keep going up while reliability keeps going down. I am so ready to dump them.

clos4life likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You have to call them and threaten them. Then they will lower the price.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I just switched from AT&T to Infinity and have no regrets.

clos4life likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

7. CrazyJoeDavola

ATT will give you a better price if you ask for their Fap Free Nights & Weekends package

clos4life likes this.
  8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I did this with xfinity, but they didn't budge. Told me if I got one of their phones I could lower my bill. So looks like I need to switch to ATT now.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

ATT did the same to me recently. I usually call them once a year and just casually say that I'm cancelling. Then their retention department or whatever will offer me some sort of discount. Been doing this forever.

But this year, they called my bluff. They immediately set a cancellation date and the lady just said something like, "we have appreciated your business." I then had to back out like a punk, because my monthly bill is still cheaper with them than it is with Xfinity, which I think is my only other option.

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I can save by switching to ATT from Xfinity, so looks like I'm going to do that.

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Your landline is what’s gone up, most likely. It’s probably copper based. Do you want copper lines? Because it’s not available everywhere anymore as more companies lay fiber and switch to VoiP offerings.

copper based POTS can cost as much as $250/mo in some areas. It’s old tech and expensive to maintain. Not to mention the theft issues in Houston and Dallas, mainly.

I know some folks want that copper because you don’t lose service with power outage.

clos4life likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

Xerobull and clos4life like this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

When they called your bluff, follow through, have someone else sign up, ie your wife etc. on promo, you can usually keep repeating this method. I mean it's a pita but depending on the hike I'm not giving in.

I mean assuming they have new lower prices for new customers etc. I'll sometimes make up random stories but I won't lose to the price hikes.

If I took the effort to call, even if it costs me a day of down time, I'll just use my phone as a hotspot, their tactics are bullshit.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!