1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If a run game which can consistently pick up short yardage on 3rd and 4th and 5 on 1st and 2nd to keep Defenses honest, we need some RUN Blockers in the rotation. Our priority has been protection and they do a good job when moderately healthy. I suspect Dameon Pierce will thrive with traditional run blocking.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

FAs may want to come here, but they still want to get paid. The bargains come from those needing to prove themselves after systems or injuries adversely affect performance expectations.

Sooty and ApolloRLB like this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Every time I hear about how much cap space we have, I think of sending a typical student out with $2000 with instructions to pay the bank the $1500 Mortgage payment and the $400 electric bill. The student immediately thinks he's got $2000 and can pick up a $1500 game system he wants.

Hemingway and Commodore like this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

astros123, red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. raining threes

We have run blockers unfortunately most of the guys that are the best run blockers got hurt.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Kenneth Murray Jr

7. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Jags would be foolish not to tag him

astros123 likes this.
  8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Go super cheap on offense by signing DeAndre Hopkins and Derrick Henry to cheap short deals and investing most of the cap into defensive stars like Chris Jones and big time safety. Then draft more young offensive skill players and fewer on defense.

astros123 and houstonstime like this.
  9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Hopkins is signed for another year with the Titans

astros123 and raining threes like this.
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they signed Tyler Boyd or Gabe Davis. We want Higgins or Evans... got this feeling Caserio will be stingy with this $$$ in the cap.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I think Nick might do some Neiman Marcus shopping this year. He’s done with Walmart

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Maybe, but would it surprise you? Most anger between players and team involve salary negotiation. It happens in every sport. The players would be happy with a $2.5 BILLION PAYROLL. For a season, then they would demand more.

raining threes likes this.
  13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I just want a nasty run game … we can get better that’s the great thing

astros123 likes this.
  14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I hope so. Be nice to see CJ with threats all around him early in his career.

raining threes and Fulgore like this.
  15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

But our scheme is not traditional running.. so no, I don’t think Pierce just needs better blockers, he needs to learn to be patient, wait for the hole, see the hole, and squeeze through it. You really think he just fell off a cliff? Same with the OLine, we can’t keep bringing in new ppl to learn the scheme. Give them one more year to gel, and a RB that is made for this scheme. Only bet you anything it doesn’t suck again.

TheFreak, Sooty, Qan and 2 others like this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Johnson offers far too much to let him walk. He has kept us in good starting field position many times. It's not his fault we tend to bend a bit too much when we have them starting near their own goal line. You could probably get an equivalent gross, but not net spending $2M.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Ravens LB look good cuz that D Line is elite. If I’m gonna throw money at any Ravens payers it’s gonna be DT Justin Madubuike. Ravens can’t afford both and can only franchise one of Queen and Justin.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah. If they can't sign him they will tag him.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

For the moment, we are in the time frame where we can negotiate with the FAs we had last season who are FA this season.It's interesting because many do not call this FA season. I'm not sure whether we can actually sign these now or we have to wait for some future date. Many start the FA period from the time any team is free to negotiate with any FA.