1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Depends on the price. Could be a good buy-low candidate if he doesn't require an FRP. Even if he's lost some percentage points off his output, he should still be a solid backup center as long as it's not too bad. Would also have a pretty limited role backing up one of the best centers in basketball, so hopefully that would put less strain on his legs.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I was literally just running this trade in the trade machine, haha. It makes a lot of sense, though Jalen and the Nets’ pick is a hefty price. I’d probably try to keep one of those assets. I do really like the idea of Brodgon starting while we develop Cam and Amen, and I like Time Lord as our backup big.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah actually whoever gets him is best served bringing him off the bench for a year. It usually takes a player 1+ years of playing competitive basketball to get back to 100% after this type of injury. Could be a nice fit and if he outgrows the role still a nice trade asset.

Might be a decent rush to take.

4. HealthyHamstring

Keep in mind that is the the Brooklyn 2024 2nd Round Pick (right now #37), not the 1st round pick. No way in hell you trade both that and Jalen

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Love Eric and he's cheap this year, but Sun's need Eric for this post season. Don't see them moving him. Tate would be an addition to Sun's bench.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

He is injury prone, which might be baked into the trade price when Stone asks. Where if Blazers willing, maybe they'll let him go for our package (of those Lansdale/Bullock/Dipo...etc type of assets).

7. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

There’s no getting back to 100% for Williams, he’s never been there. He’s been available for about 40% of the games in his 6 year career, has chronic meniscus problems (which don’t really go away), and now he’s just dislocated his patella and tore a ligament with a yearlong recovery.

More likely than not he is cooked. Sad, because I think he’s an incredible player and would have been a great fit for us.

subtomic likes this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Im sorry , those of yall that think NYK is gonna give us Hartenstein are crazy

Amel and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -1.5 ppg, -1.4 rpg, and -0.6 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Zeke Nnaji
    23 year old, 6-9, 240 lb PF from Arizona
    3.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.5 apg in 9.4 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jae'sean Tate
    28 year old, 6-4, 230 lb F from Ohio State
    4.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.6 minutes in 2023-2024

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we want to make a small, realistic move to upgrade the bench and mostly hold onto our assets, something like this would be my play:

[​IMG]

Ayo is locked up through 2026 on a reasonable contract. Good defender, jack-of-all-trades, master of none roleplayer on offense who can hit open threes. Drummond fixes our size issues against teams with good backup centers, and could perhaps play a little bit in the dunker spot with Alpi at the 4 when other teams go big.

My feeling is that a move like this gets us to right around .500 at season's end and trades some guys who have no future with us (Tate, Holiday) for a guy who might (Ayo).

#1230 OremLK, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  11. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +1.0 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and -0.2 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Jaden Hardy
    21 year old, 6-3, 198 lb SG from NBA G League Ignite
    7.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 15.4 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Aaron Holiday
    27 year old, 6-0, 185 lb PG from UCLA
    6.7 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.7 apg in 17.1 minutes

12. Houston77

Supporting Member

At this point, I’m totally conflicted. There’s a large part of me that doesn’t want to make any trade — or, nothing more than minor moves. Nothing involving the six draft picks or the Nets’ picks. Minor moves to bolster weaknesses, but use the rest of the season to see how this group develops, with the major bonus of being able to add an additional high draft pick.

#1232 Houston77, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  13. Landry's Tooth

My shopping list:

Potential long term wing who can shoot
    Backup 5 rim protector

That's it... I think that can be done relatively cheaply...

Corrosion likes this.
  14. Houston77

Supporting Member

I think you can get at least one of those done with our lesser assets (Tate, SRPs, etc.). Both might be hard.

15. Landry's Tooth

Depends on the situation. If it's a player at end of their rookie contract another team doesn't want to extend it could be a lower price.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This is creative and definitely one of the biggest name players that figure to be available.

That said, as good as he would fit, what would this mean for Bari’s development?

A move like this would probably tank his value so much that I’d rather swap him for Jalen in your proposal.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just hard to see Memphis giving up any of their core three unless they demand a trade--path of least resistance for them is to just run it back with everybody healthy next season.

But if we could somehow get JJJ without giving up Jabari (what a coup that would be)--I think Bari could still get 26-28mpg backing up both the 4 and the 5. And of course the minute there was an injury he would step into the starting lineup, bringing his overall season average even a bit higher than that. I think it would be a good problem to have overall

baller4life315 likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really liked Dosunmu in that 21 draft ..... was shocked that he fell to the 2nd round, I dunno if there's 10 players that are better than him out of that draft. Maybe not much star potential but a really solid player I wouldn't mind on this team and most definitely an upgrade at the 2.

Which leads me to - a good player on a really good contract, why is Chicago letting him go for 2nd round picks Tate & Holiday? Doesn't seem like much value for them. They'd much rather dump Lavine and let Dosunmu take those minutes.

Aruba77 likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I mean, he's a good player, but he's not really a big difference-maker. He's probably something like the 7th or 8th guy on a contender. I doubt you can get a first-round pick for him. Maybe a heavily-protected late pick, but our Brooklyn pick is going to be early in the 2nd round, so it's nearly as good.

Also keep in mind that they have five guards currently getting minutes on their roster (and that's if you don't include DeMar, whose original position was SG).

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets Interested In Robert Williams

The Houston Rockets have interested in Portland Trail Blazers big man Robert Williams III. Even though Williams is out for the season due to right knee surgery, teams have shown interest in trading for him.

Rockets coach Ime Udoka is fond of Williams from their time together with the Boston Celtics. Houston has been looking for frontcourt reinforcements around and behind breakout center Alperen Sengun.

Williams is expected to make a full recovery for next season. Williams is owed $11.6 million this year and has two years and $25.7 million left on his deal through 2025-26.

sirjesse and kpdark like this.