1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Toyota and Toyoda are heavily invested in hydrogen plants. All types of hydrogen production is greenwashing.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Tesla bois real quiet after earnings.

paging space monkey….cxbubby.

Maybe waiting for “competition is coming” material.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Was it a bad earnings call? Or are you disappointed Musk didn't descend from the heavens and rapture all the Tesla fan bois?

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Tesla misses on earnings more often than not. I think they've missed on 6 of the last 8 quarters. I think what was different was that they really didn't have many positives to spin this with. There were no proclomations about increasing deliveries or new cars on the horizon. There were some vague AI references but again there were no specifics or timelines. They talked about creating efficiencies in manufacturing but once again no real timeline other than to say that end of 2025 at the earliest. When they were asked about their woes in China with BYD overtaking them, they also didn't really have a response.

The whole thing just felt very somber and dry. Part of these earnings calls is just how you deliver and how optimistic you sound. All of the Tesla leadership (including Musk) just sounded worn out. It was just a weird call that failed to inspire much confidence.

Sajan likes this.
  6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Because you can only BS about FSD and Robotaxi and other pie in the sky projects for so long before people catch on.

Their current core business of selling cars is not growing at a million percent like everyone thought and they don't have any timelines on their robots and whatever else they are distracting people with...

oh wait i spoke too soon:

Musk described Optimus as, “something that I think has the potential to far exceed the value of everything else combined” for Tesla. He claimed that Tesla’s technology developed in its automotive unit translates well to the humanoid robot “because the car is just a robot on four wheels.”
    https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/24/tesla-tsla-earnings-q4-2023.html

7. Space Ghost

My personal feel is that Tesla is starting to shift now that they are a big boy company. If one is to believe the original directive, which is to replace ICE vehicles with EV's, that is clearly in progress. Some suggest Musk is bored with cars and is refocusing elsewhere. There are thoughts that Tesla is now being more cautious on what they reveal to prevent the competition from jumping in too soon.

That said, I suspect the AI/FSD has become a real issue. Tesla will never become a 5T company selling hardware like legacy. Personally I always felt Tesla's biggest advantage was the software. Buttons, clunky UI's and Android Auto/Apple carplay are dated. FSD is not competing with Blue Cruise, comma AI or all the other crap out there. Its competing against Microsoft and OpenAI. Some have stated Tesla's Dojo is already obsolete. FSD V12 is a massive improvement but no where near level 5.

Musk needs to bring xAI into the Tesla fold. The cost to build the networks he needs will be insanely expensive. And as he said, he will not do it until he gets his ownership to 25% in Tesla.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

Tesla (self proclaimed software/tech company) is realizing that legacy auto makers are the way they are for a reason. They got a tough road ahead of them if they are only going to be selling cars. Hopes and dreams of FSD and the future Musk has been promising for years need to pay up.

brings up another topic...
    The god complex with tech companies thinking they can just solve the worlds problems with some lines of code eventually catches up.
    Netflix now showing ads and reality tv....
    Uber more expensive than taxis..
    Airbnb more expensive than hotels..

cheke64 likes this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

10. Space Ghost

This is an interesting take.

Tesla may stop providing guidance going forward. Probably a good thing. Keeps industry from hedging.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I was curious what you experts think about this one?

It reminds me a bit of a Porsche version of the Model Y.

But as a toy for boys the Taycan is probably still better?

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

It will sell like hotcakes among its targeted audience: uppity females 30-40....

porsche purists are already laughing at the 500$ option for "sport sound".

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Basically no more cheap money from investors.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

looks good though!

[​IMG]

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think I'll go and get a Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S next week.

desihooper likes this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Porsche purists laughing at superfluous options...dying of irony.

superfob, desihooper and Sajan like this.
  18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Info from Norway:

Cold weather leads to more breakdowns for fuel-powered cars than electric vehicles, according to a Norwegian road assistance service.

During extreme cold conditions at the start of the year, breakdown firm Viking responded to 34,000 assistance requests in Norway.

Only 13 per cent of these were for electric vehicles, despite the country having a world-leading EV share of more than 24 per cent.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/electric-car-snow-cold-weather-tesla-b2481002.html

Space Ghost likes this.
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.houstonautoshow.com/ev-pavilion/

The electric vehicle revolution is coming to the Houston Auto Show. Today, Americans can choose from over 30 all-electric models ranging from hatchbacks and sedans to SUVs and pick-up trucks. Houstonians are embracing EVs with over 48K electric vehicles on Houston roads today. If you’re interested in becoming an EV driver then be sure to stop by the Evolve Houston EV showroom and all-electric ride & drive at this year’s show to learn more.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

H2 is a great energy storage medium. 10,000 psi tanks don't cost any where close to what a battery does and doesn't get smaller with age. Fast refills and just as environmentally friendly. If you can make electricity you can make H2 and the losses of transportation and storage are less.