1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 24, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Anyone deal with this?

I think I might have always suffered from a mild form of Seasonal Affective Disorder for most of my adult life. My energy just flatlines in January and February and my motivation level is very low. I'm not in the throes of any sort of bad depression. But looking back, I'd say I've felt pretty low, consistently, in the 'Winter' in Texas, for a good chunk of my life. Thankfully the Winter here is short.

Some years are worse than others; this year I had a nasty cold over Christmas and it sort of just kept going through now. Last year it was warmer and I started strong with running and working out, then had an upper GI bleed in late January where I lost around 2 liters of blood, and that sort of overshadowed everything else for about two months until my body recovered; blood loss is no ****ing joke.

Again, not depressed or hopeless, just don't really care, no motivation and overall tired/sleepy. I feel good when I make myself do stuff but then I'm just like, meh, I'll watch a show or read.

I got a therapy lamp but, lol, it's just too ****ing bright in my face.

Anyway, feedback is good, I hate feeling like this because most of the time I'm focused and effective.

IBTL and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Low testosterone. You will soon be lactating from the massive bewbz youre about to sprout.

IBTL, Ziggy, FrontRunner and 2 others like this.
  3. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

Pretty prevalent in a lot of people. Light therapy helps. Maybe look into some EAP benefits through work to get some free counseling. Maybe you could have a visit with a PCP and see if you'd be a good candidate for pharmacotherapy with Wellbutrin. Would stay away from SSRIs w/ your recent GI bleed.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Same thing. A 2wk vacation is nice if only to get outside and walk around more.

Xerobull likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The 7:30 am to 5:30 PM days are tough.

Andre0087, CCity Zero, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  6. Xerobull

What's funny is that my Testosterone is actually UP a bit over the past year, I think it was my 2-3x a day workouts for several months. Doc thought I was on T therapy. Think if your man boobs get big enough you can **** 'em?

My insurance is pretty badass. Talk therapy (counseling) doesn't work well for me. I think it's because I zero in on the root of the issue fast and get bored with the slowness of the therapists. The last one said I was a narcissist but she just had the hots for me.

I'll look into Wellbutrin. I don't want to rock the boat too much with meds.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

FWIW, @Xerobull i think you’re ****ing awesome. Hope you’re feeling better soon.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ewww, no. You get some other dood to.

IBTL and Xerobull like this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its very rarely an issue this close to the equator. Not.impossible, but extremely rare. Need those near polar lattitudes with huge seasonal day/night shifts.

Ever live somewhwre far North or (I guess) extreme South? It would be much more severe.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My personal experience with Welbutrin is not pleasant. It works, but makes me sweaty and twitchy and angry - all the unpleasant side effects of stimulant with none of the fun.

Your mileage may vary.

If it really is actual SAD, sitting in front of sunlamps as prescribed for long stretches is the cleanest, best solution.

#10 Ottomaton, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, geez, how could she have said such a thing? :D

Seriously, hope you feel better. I bet if you simply decrease screent time and time online (and I love CF, clearly), you will start to feel better too.
    I definitely had patches of SAD when I lived in the northwest.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It gets worse the further north you go. I never had Spring Fever, until I moved to Mass.

#12 No Worries, Jan 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    Xerobull likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Thanks, bro. The feeling is mutual....that is, I know I'm ****ing awesome. You're also neat.

Wow, OK, that is a big point against Mass, which is on our short list of states to move to.

Yeah, **** that. I'll get some meth.

They all say that ****, breh. Just can't handle this.

There's something to decreased screen time. I tend to want more when I'm feeling lazy. And I've been reading web series a lot on my iPad at night. But I did delete the game I was obsessing over and started to turn everything off at a decent time.

My father in law had it where my wife grew up close to the Great Lakes, where they would get permafrost. Of course, he was one of those super smart blue collar guys that got into his own head too much. They moved to TX and his SAD went away. He loves the weather here.

MadMax likes this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I always thought 5:30pm sunsets were early until I moved to the northeast and experienced 4pm sunsets in Boston. Those were something else lol.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Vitamin D?

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Constantly sleepy and/or hungry.

Cedar pollen does not help...itchy eyes and ****ed up sinuses.

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah I've been dealing with depression.... Don't even feel like going into the debate and discussion threads....

ThatBoyNick and Andre0087 like this.
  18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

lol

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Psychology is closer to philosophy than science.

Do you think you could be sensitive to atmospheric pressure? I have observed the day or so before a front blows in, I feel terrible. After, I feel so much better.

Don't discount holiday fatigue. Jumping from Halloween, to Thanksgiving to Christmas to New Years (resolutions) can be stressful in many different ways.

Also consider the 'mid-life crisis'. Most people have a life reflection pivot in their 40's.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Come on pal, I betcha T-Dog getting that nomination will cheer you up and have you back in there causing a ruckus in no time.

My seasonal depression started about the time Tilman bought the team myself.

Xerobull and Salvy like this.