1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

These comments are after like 20 games. You guys doubting this guy are way off base

OremLK, Zen Tabak and kpdark like this.
  2. rocket43

rocket43 Member

One thing is for sure, Amen and Jalen can't be our future backcourt. We can't have 2 broken jump shots in at the same time. Amen and Cam look good though.

Corrosion, Zen Tabak and invocux like this.
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Valuable player for sure - but I think you being more than a little optimistic about best of all time given how broken his shot is. It's just A LOT harder to hide flaws like that in the modern NBA. Does no one remember Ben Simmons anymore?

No Worries likes this.
  4. Ratman

Ratman Member

It is but simmons couldnt even knock down free throws or middies…if amen gives us a bit of that he’ll and we will be fine. The only concern is you must find additional shooters when you have a player like amen.

5. kpdark

kpdark Member

6. MystikArkitect

Ben Simmons issue wasn't his jump shot.

BonziWellsGOAT and Nook like this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It was on the basketball court.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

See -Ime agrees with me. It’s a complement to Amen but it’s also a cautionary tale. Young Simmons was a top 15 player in the league - scared to shoot Simmons never grew at shooting and eventually it made him nearly unplayable.

9. dmoneybangbang

Simmons could have been an elite point center but was scared to shot FTs and fix his shot.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Amen is not afraid to shoot ft's because he is always attacking the rim at least. And open 3's even though they are not going in

#170 DreamShook, Jan 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

He's Fuard, kind of sounds Texan if you say it slow.

Bigearz and Zen Tabak like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Amen probably already attempted more mid ranges and 3's this season than Simmons has in his entire career. I don't think Amen has the same mental issues as Simmons, Simmons is also afraid of even shooting freethrows. Amen looks for contact and is getting to the line more and more now

13. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's his work ethic on and off the court.

OremLK and Zen Tabak like this.
  15. AmenTheSuperstar

There's much that is admirable about Amen. Not only is he, like Ausar, smart and charismatic, but he's got a high basketball IQ and the potential to be an outstanding perimeter defender in the league.

His shortcomings, however, pose a significant challenge.

His ability to shoot the ball is notably underwhelming. Opponents have begun to treat him with the same caution as Ben Simmons. This has negatively impacted our team spacing, especially when Sengun is on the court.

His handling is adequate, but it's not what you'd expect from a point guard. In my opinion, KPJ had far superior ball-handling skills. However, even his were insufficient for the role of point guard.

Another area of promise prior to the draft was his exceptional ability to finish at the rim. Although this ability may still develop - it seems more likely than the previous two - it is not yet apparent.

My concern is that his ultimate potential may be similar to that of Carter Williams. Williams was significantly more advanced than Amen in his rookie season. My candor comes from a place of support: I truly want him to excel as a superstar, and I say that as an fervent admirer. I still have faith that he can overcome his shortcomings with hard work and tough coaching. He must never give up on himself.

Little Bit likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Not sure if anyone checked out the Nets game last night but Simmons was on the sidelines. This is what I feel Jalen's eventuality will be. Zion as well. Maybe Ja. These kids believe themselves to be celebrities before an a ounce of success. Kid looks like an absolute r****d on the sidelines and is always coming up with an issue as to why. Mental health, back, etc.

Luckily (hopefully) the twins aren't cut from this cloth.

Easy likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Seeing as this is essentially every post in this thread, feel free to cut and paste as needed until the first week of next season:

Amen does some good things and is looking more comfortable, but that shot needs work or else he's Ben Simmons.

(Just doing my part to make sure the GARM runs efficiently.)

19. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Unlike Ben Simmons, Amen Thompson loves the game of basketball.

Mentally there's such a huge difference between the two I think any comparison aside from their strengths and weaknesses on the court is pointless

BonziWellsGOAT, Easy, A_3PO and 2 others like this.
  20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

What does GARM mean?