1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KJ Martin for a 2nd rounder.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hank McDowell, Jan 22, 2024.

?

KJ for a 2nd.

1. Yes!

43 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Nope!

62 vote(s)
    59.0%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Very low upside move. We know who KJ is. We should be playing almost everyone on the current roster over him, except maybe Tate.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's because KJ is too much of an odd fit for any team. He's a undersized PF with no ability shoot from 3, subpar defense everywhere except for getting the occasional highlight block. No ball handling skills or playmaking except for lobs and cutting.

House is a pretty typical 3 and D player you can just plug into any lineup

roslolian, jcmoon and Ankara1923 like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Our spacing can't suffer another non-shooter, especially as Dillon's 3P% continues to regress. He doesn't fit anymore. Get Amen & Cam doing what KJ did in practice--they need to cut a lot more often off the ball. Especially Amen.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Okay, we have our answer. :D

Astrodome likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am all for incremental upgrades - and he is that.

DD

jcmoon likes this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

On the contrary, his NBA career to this point firmly establishes him as a player who can only get significant playing time on a league-worst team. So unless we plan on trading for him and assigning him to the Vipers, what's the point?

Little Bit likes this.
  7. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I say yes because of Ime. Ime is good at making your PT be about your ethic on the court.

If KJ is really about getting PT he will put in the effort to be rewarded. If not, he's an expiring contract (that should incentivize him more being a contract year).

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

He actually got most of his points from Sengun because he's a good cutter and easy assist target in the dunk spot but him and his dad are delusional about his ceiling.

I'm glad he got a wake up call on other teams and it's funny I noticed his dad stopped b****ing about his playing time on Gil's podcast after he's getting barely any minutes on other teams.

I'd take a flyer on him because our guys are still good friends with him so it'd be good for locker room chemistry but he'd have to accept his role and never b**** about minutes.

jcmoon and CircaSurvive like this.
  9. Rokman

Rokman Member

A lot of the guys he played with last year are gone. I get a feeling VanVleet wouldn't like him too much. Just me though.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He’s the only one that cuts. Purdy Sengun assists.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

NBA teams covet 3 and D. KJ has neither 3 nor D.

Landsdale and Little Bit like this.
  12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Why can't we just give up on these borderline scrub players? What's even the point of KJ? He hasn't gotten minutes on any team except our Silas trainwrecks. Just give Cam and Amen any second of playing time you'd give KJ. He sucks.

topfive likes this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It amuses me that there were so many people around mad that Stone just "gave him away", and now he's available for a 2nd rounder from the team who claimed to have stolen him and so far there are no takers.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

KJ Martin going to China. Kenyon Martin going off on NBA Teams and getting Blackballed from the Media.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rockets need to Focus on College, Europe Scouting getting ready for the Draft.

Need Forwards that can Shoot and Handle the Ball. Getting a scorer off the bench.
    6'10 a 3 and D, Pass and Rebound.

Lamar Odom, Toni Kukoc Type

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I still like his potential, especially for dirt cheap, but I don't see any playing time for him here. Unless he did a Sengun and has grown to be 7'2" over the last few months.

17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

It’s not just his shooting. He hasn’t improved his game at all. He doesn’t defend and won’t do the little things to win games. When John Lucas tried to hold him accountable, he pouted and sat on the bench during team huddles. He developed an entitlement attitude which was partly the environment the Rockets fostered as well as his Dad saying my son deserves x,y, and z.

OremLK likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

I wonder if KJM is rethinking his trade request strategy now? I understand he wanted to be on a winning team (Which he is now) but sometimes you gotta pay your dues and play where you get the minutes first. Averaging under 9 minutes a game. Not good on your resume.

I'm good on a hard pass from him now and in the future.

20. prs325

prs325 Member

Not sure folks
    He brings his helicopter dad wherever he goes

don grahamleone, topfive and RudyTBag like this.