1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I know but the truth is somewhere in between. We won't get it super cheap but they're not getting more than 2 great picks for Bridges. I think they would be happy to get the two picks and expiring contracts back for Bridges. We might have to sweeten that deal a bit more.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

those Nets asking prices are insane. The guy I want most is actually Claxton. Any idea what you think his market value will be this summer? Do the Nets even have the cap room to compete with an offer to retain him? My best guess is he’ll get at $25-$30 mil.

I think a 5/4 rotation of Claxton, Sengun, Bari would be incredible.

plegus likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen is a pg and shouldn’t spend time with FVV on the floor. If we could bring in a vet sg that has a two year contract, said vet could start and play about twenty minutes. FVV should only play 30 mins, tate and holiday should play zero mins. Amen, Jalen, and Cam could all get close to twenty mins a game under this scenario. FVV is fine as a stopgap pg, but he is a horrible match with amen, Jalen, and cam. They will be cutting bait with FVV at the very longest after next season. If Jalen is still terrible off the bench the rest of the year then jettison him. Brogdon should be the target, because he can play with FVV and his contract is up after next season. At that point our starting unit would be amen, cam, brooks, Jabari, and Sengun. Of course, that all changes if we make a move for bridges or another all-star sg.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Claxton is a FA next year. No way he re-ups to be a backup center. I’d love to have him for the rest of the year, but he would have to come cheap.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not going to go on and on about this, but I have two questions:

1) Is Mikal Bridges better than Khris Middleton around the same age?

2) Would you have been happy to pay multiple top 10 draft picks for Middleton going into his age 28 season, when your franchise is likely not contending for a championship until he's at least 31?

You might say these questions are unfair because part of Middleton's decline was due to injuries, but I mean... injuries have a way of piling up once guys hit their 30s. There is a direct correlation between aging and injury-related decline

6. a time to chill

I'm getting concerned that Rockets aren't mentioned in any credible trade rumors by now (e.g. Stein, Woj, Charania, etc.). What is Stone doing? He's going to let other teams get all the best players available.

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Green+Landale+Tate for Grimes+Hartenstein+FRP

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The best available players aren't good enough that the Rockets should trade a FRP. Stone is trying to trade expiring contracts for guys with a year left on salary that does not take a FRP to acquire (e.g., expirings for Capela and draft capital). Stone is also likely trying to turn early 2024 SRPs into a protected future FRP (e.g., Holiday + Brooklyn 2024 SRP and GSW SRP for a Top 18 protected 2025 FRP). He's kicked the tires on the good players, but there is little chance the Rockets would trade 3 FRPs for the ability to maybe pay Siakam $200M.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The Brooklyn picks are really valuable. I think that they are way underrated value on this board.

Ben Simmons isn’t saving that team. Bridges or Cam Johnson aren’t getting any better and Nic Claxton is likely to leave.

sure they are in Brooklyn and this is a destination but what of it in 2025 when they end up in cap space but they suck?

I would rather have the 6th pick in this draft, then Bridges personally.

cmoak1982, Amel, OremLK and 1 other person like this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The issue with this is that Hartenstein is all they really have at the moment with Robinson out.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

The 2024 BK pick is unprotected.
    I started playing around with tankathon again. Took a few tries to get it to land #1.

We never got a #1 during Silas era. It's be ironic if we get one, in what's describes as a weak draft for the top players. And imagine Stone having to pick, where there isn't a consensus.

Deckard likes this.
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i think the Nets pix are worth more to them - than they will be to us. They can coordinate a tank to make the pix potentially more valuable than what we are likely to garner imo.
    If they dont own their pix and have no enticement to tank - then they'll just overpay in free agency... pay journeymen to give the fan base the appearance of trying - and be mediocre... and maybe we get lucky on the ping pong balls - but more likely we get mid round picks of no great allure...
    So i would say lets find a deal...
    Let's assign whatever realistic value we would likely obtain... #8-12 range? and if we can get greater value than that - u pull the trigger imo. but holding them with the hope of them turning into a top pick isnt a great gamble imo...

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

1) Probably about the same.
    2) While I wouldn't trade the 2 Brooklyn picks and 2 swaps back for Bridges (or Middleton if he was same age), this is a very unfair question as it assumes pick location which could change depending on whether trade happens or not, that Rockets won't be contending, and Bridges has a career arc like one particular player. I don't think the Rockets will be contending, but I wouldn't guarantee how things will be if the Rockets actually had a 2 guard that could make three point shots.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They are trying to win this year and look like a good bet to be a Top 10 pick. They've got about 2 weeks to turn things around with a trade. I'm doubtful they can build a playoff team soon if they can't get a trade this season.

Let's assume the Nets finish in the 8th spot, 9th spot, 10th spot and 11th spot in the next 4 years. Odds are the Rockets most likely end up with at least one Top 4 pick (54%).

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

play the %s then... A 54% chance at a top 4 and 3 mid frps... and proceed accordingly...
    its that folks think this is gonna be a treasure trove of high lotto pix that aint happening...
    so 1 top 4 and 3 mid frps... vs the nets could tank and turn it into 4 high % lottery pix.... so the deal to be made is somewhere in between those 2 values imo...

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

Lonnie is a UFA after this season, but Sharpe has another year of team control + RFA after that. We could probably extend Lonnie (if he is interested in staying here) since we won't have a Jalen extension to worry about. Brooklyn can use their own high draft pick + Simmons' expiring in the offseason to try for a big trade for a star player, which should appeal to them.

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

paging @ch44…
    What you hearing bruh…

Aruba77 likes this.
  18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think they are truly ****** the minute Bridges misses 30 games and I think that is a likely scenario over the next 2 to 3 years. And I mean like worst team in the league.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

unfortunately no one is gonna outcrap the Hornets ;)

20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

This is the worst proposal I've seen in a very long time. I struggle to do the deal without the potential lottery pick. I think you are seriously undervaluing the ability to get first overall pick. Your trade scenario screams Baron Davis and unprotected 1st for Mo Williams. What am I missing that makes you value Dayron at 2 1st rounders, with one of those likely top 10?