1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to hire Bobby Slowik as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Feb 12, 2023.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I get the sense that Kubiak is happy living the simple life in the boonies and watching his sons have success.

But you never know.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

#542 Commodore, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I am basically unconcerned with Slowik's future.

His mistakes this year can be attributed to youth and personnel issues, so I'm willing to keep him around, but I will not shed any tears if he goes.

I have full faith that CJ is a transcendent talent and is the primary reason this offense succeeds.

Agent94, Colt45 and CKent like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That would be bad ass

Fulgore likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Honestly, I somewhat feel the same. My big concern is continuity with Stroud. I don't love the idea of him having a new coordinator in his second year.

raining threes, Colt45 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hell yea. CJ with those play action bootleg throws would be a thing of beauty.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Dammit man, you got my hopes up

ROCKSS and Fulgore like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If Slowik and Johnson bounce go after Klint Kubiak. I bet that entices Gary to consult if not outright pick up the clipboard again.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Kubiak offense eventually could be neutralized if you held the running game in check. But like most teams, if you have an elite running game... its going to be hard to stop any potential off-shoot from that (play action, RPO, bootlegs, etc).

Also, typically good running games = elite O-lines, and most O-lines that are elite at run blocking also know how to pass block.

I'd take Kubiak if only because he always was able to build an elite line no matter where he was at... but I also like younger minds that are able to take the best of the older systems and induce them to evolve.

I do think older football stalwarts are still better at personnel/player evaluations and have better foundations/experience in recognizing which types of players succeed in this league... whereas younger "outside the box" thinkers are able to devise game plans or expand upon existing systems with wrinkles or nuances that are harder to game plan against.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Glad that Slowik was well prepared for the Titans interview. He certainly wasn't well prepared for the Ravens defense.

12. Qan

Qan Member

If health allows it, would be nice if Gary Kubs picks up the clipboard once again. He'll be someone who wouldn't be tempted to leave after every season for HC job if the Texans offense flourish under him.

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

If we’re gonna go dust off some old timer why not go for the roots of the Shanahan offense? That’s right Mike Shanahan.

14. CKent

CKent Member

Not only this but his presence should ensure a long list of willing and talented candidates that would jump at the chance to coach him. Will be up to us to pick the right one but it should be a coveted position. I agree though, CJ is the engine.

15. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, all of this.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I put Kubiak in a rare class of coach who can legitimately make almost any quarterback better.

This also includes Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan.

There's a new crop of guys like McVay, McDaniel, and Moore whom may end up in that group over the next 5-10 years.

Far too often we see teams scrambling to hire the OC or QB coach of whatever quarterback just had a huge season when in reality it's the tail wagging the dog. So many dud coaches have made their entire careers off the coat tails of transcendent QBs.

clos4life and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. Marteen

Marteen Member

And then there were five...

19. raining threes

HOF'er Alex Gibbs was the OL/Run game coordinator. RIP HOF'er Alex Gibbs, the best to ever do it.

20. raining threes

Cant prepare when you dont have the horses. Or did he just forget how to coach between the Browns and Ravens games?

cbass and Marteen like this.