1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

For some reason, I thought we were going to get Hader. Just a gut feeling. Maybe it was because things were so quiet.

astros123 and whiskeyred like this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

I like more so for lowering the tax figure. No idea how he is 4 years from now.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What also helped was the fact that there were teams not willing to give into Hader’s demands. From what I heard on MLB radio for the past two weeks that teams were balking at what he was demanding. I don’t know all the specifics, but Hader said he is a one inning guy. This falls in line with what @Nook stated about Crane telling his agent he needed an answer.

astros123 and raining threes like this.
  4. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Your posts have been duds.

cbass, astros123, lnchan and 2 others like this.
  5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

JV and Hader in less than a year. Timmy references need to stay in the past.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, this had zero to do with Dana Brown (nor did the otherwise quiet offseason). It’s weird to ascribe any credit or blame to him for the offseason big splash/not splash.

astros123 and raining threes like this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Texas Rangers and Yankees miss out on another reliever.

8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Crane is and has been full involved in player signings, yes most of us know that. But some people like to blast Crane as cheap, lazy etc. Then some also blast Dana. He has been here for about a year. He has made a few moves to help then club. Some fans are spoiled. I however enjoy nearly every minute of this ride. Is the ride perfect? Hell no. But LA and NY have more Money than a swiss bank. The Astros are doing good work here.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

All the middle reliever churning? I’m sure that’s all Brown. Signing Vic? Brown. But trading for JV and signing Hader was 100% Jim Crane.

raining threes and BlindHog like this.
  10. Yordan The Great

I hope we move Brown back to that shared 7th inning role.

If he can replace Neris, then that pretty much gets us back to square 1 in the pen.

Closer Hader
    7th/8th Abreu and Pressly
    6th/7th Brown and Montero

I would still like to get a Matt Moore or someone like that.

raining threes likes this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Brown?

This team is in trouble if he's not in the rotation April - July at the very least.

Madmanmetz, lnchan and raining threes like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Crane told Luhnow he was going to get Verlander.

Click insisted on handling Verlander contract negotiations. Click pissed off Verlander - Crane took over negotiations and signed Verlander after Click said it wasn’t possible.

Crane made sure that Verlander would be traded to Houston. Brown just weighed value of minor leaguers in deal.

Crane told Bagwell to sign Abreu.

Crane came to Brown and said he was going to reach out to Hader and his agent and sign him.

Crane told Luhnow to get Bryce Harper if the Nationals traded him.

When it comes to particular players that Crane wants badly and if he thinks the team needs them - he steps in and does it. He usually doesn’t even have his GM involved in negotiations.

I would have a problem with it except he has overall done very well stepping in.

I don’t know how good Dana Brown will be. What I can tell is that he has put together what is considered an exceptional scouting/player development group, its full of star evaluators. Will it pay off? IDK.

13. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros will give Brown every chance possible to be a starter - but I am not sold on him being a starter long term. It is arguable that JP France will be as effective as Brown if given a chance.

I will defer to Brown/Miller/Murphy on that… they are all very qualified to make the decision.

14. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I have to believe that Brown was hired more to rebuild the scouting/development organization and rebuild the farm system. Those are things he excelled at doing at both the Blue Jays and Braves. He is likely learning on the job as far as handling the big league club as well. Now that his team is almost fully in place in the SDO, he can focus more time on being the GM.

I'm not sure I like Crane getting so involved in personnel decisions, because he failed big time last year when doing it. This year he did step up after the injury and got the deal done with the best reliever on the market. But this team would be much better off without Abreu and Montero's contracts on the books and a guy like Brandon Belt at 1B.

ryan_98 and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. raining threes

Before game 7 Hinch said Harris was worn out and he pitched him anyways. Even if Harris wasn't worn out you dont have Cole in the bullpen and not use him. Learn from Bochy.

ryan_98 and Madmanmetz like this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I completely disagree with this take.

Montero is a relief pitcher. They are notoriously inconsistent. He has the stuff the organization covets and had just helped the team win a W.S. Crane paid what was needed to keep him from shopping around.

Montero was excellent in the 2nd half last year and I think it's at least 50/50 that he has a very good year this season.

Abreu was hurt the first 2/3 of the season. I think it's ridiculous that he would not tell the team what exactly was wrong and equally ridiculous that the team couldn't figure it out and kept playing him anyway.

Once healthy, he was exceptional and should be again this year.

Belt is a platoon player who can't hit vs LHP and Abreu is nearly as good vs lefties and righties.

Belt is a far less player than Abreu.

I like Belt, but only because Abreu is already on the team allowing him to only play 3-4 times per week at the most.

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

You also have a bunch of fans that think roster building in baseball is the same as football...

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Jim Crane failed as GM last year. That’s a good one.

astros123 likes this.
  19. Screaming Fist

Unless injuries intervene, I absolutely see Brown as a significantly more effective starter moving forward than France. I would be shocked otherwise, honestly. Brown is very underrated by Astros fans.

Nook likes this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

And France is very over rated.

It honestly would not surprise me to see him in AAA a significant part of the season if not the entire season.