1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros, Josh Hader agree to 5 year, $95 million contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 19, 2024.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well the Astros are not sitting on their hands. They are in it to win it. Now, fix that "home playoff" game problem, and they will be hanging another banner.

bcast89, Madmanmetz and BMoney like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

I'm glad they have him, but this makes me nervous. Pressly hasn't blown a save in his time with the Astros in the postseason. Hader ended Milwaukee's season a couple of times with meltdown games. I like Hader in the mix, but when it comes to postseason clutchness, I'm not sure who's the best option between Pressly, Abreu, and Hader. There seems to be a little inverse correlation there between pure skills/talent and results, with Pressly having the worst stuff but best results and Hader the opposite.

Hader Postseason: 16 games; 5 Saves, 1 Blown Save, 2 losses
    Pressly Postseason: 46 games, 14 Saves, 0 Blown Saves, 0 losses; Combined 0.00 ERA in *15* postseason games the last 2 years

In 2 of his 5 postseasons, Hader has given up the HR that ended their seasons. It'd be hard for me to make that move given Pressly's success.

astros123 and Nook like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think Neris’ 2024 contract was technically a “vesting option”. It was a “team option” that converted to a “player option”. Every definition of “vesting option” I have seen explains it as the Verlander example you gave illustrates: it is a guaranteed year triggered by events outlined in the contract. I don’t have a link or anything that specifically addresses Pressly’s option, so I guess that could be labeled as speculation. But I think if Pressly appears in 50 games this season, he is then under contract for 2025.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/vesting-option

the shark and Nook like this.
  4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Pressly has pitched 26.2 innings in the last 3 postseasons and given up 1 earned run. I seriously doubt Hader will be better than that.

Qan, marks0223 and astros123 like this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

I wonder if Soto to NYY played any role in us acquiring Hader. Maybe watching Seager in the playoffs made Crane say “screw it — get me THAT lefty”

6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I believe Hader signed with the Astros not just money, but his wife is a Texan. This rejuvenates the Astros who seemed like they weren't going to do anything significant.

7. Yordan The Great

So we hopefully have the 4 headed monster once again in the pen:

2022 - Pressly, Montero, Abreu, Stanek
    2023 - Pressly, Abreu, Neris, Maton
    2024 - Hader, Pressly, Abreu, Brown/Montero/FA

Please dear Lord move Brown back where he belongs, as a relief pitcher.

Would love to snag someone like a Matt Moore.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Hader for his post season career has an era of 1.37 with a WIP of .7 and a K/BB rate of 9:1.
    I’m not worried about it. Anything can happen but Hader had been NASTY in the post season… Pressly is all world in the post season…

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Baseball prospectus (Cots contracts) says Pressly's 2025 option becomes guaranteed with 50+ appearances in each of 2023 and 2024.

The language is specific. It does not trigger an opt out. It does not convert it to a player option.

the shark likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm going to be as comfortable as a baseball fan can be with a lead in the 6th inning.

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I highly doubt the Astros going over the Competitive Balance Tax by giving Josh Hader a five-year, $95 million contract with a complete no-trade clause and no club options means they are “out” on extending Bregman and/or Tucker. You don’t do this if you expect your championship window to close by 2025. I think this signing shows it’s far more likely that Crane spends to keep this window open as long as possible.

Dana Brown also made it clear in an interview on SportsTalk 790 last season that he is confident the team can extend Tucker.

joshuaao, IBTL and Rvo384 like this.
  12. DVauthrin

Josh Hader is nasty on anyone, but especially left-handed hitters. He is going to be the one facing elite left-handed hitters in big late-inning situations like Corey Seager, Juan Soto, Freddie Freeman, Rafael Devers and so on.

Having Josh Hader, Ryan Pressly and Bryan Abreu in the bullpen is a great problem for Joe Espada and the Astros to have.

Jake Tower, IBTL, Bregatron and 4 others like this.
  13. DVauthrin

If the Padres’ front office hadn’t changed course at the trade deadline, the Astros had a deal worked out to acquire Hader. Crane has wanted him back for awhile.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Feels like an amazing problem to have. Also do I drive my red or black Ferrari tomorrow?

Jake Tower, IBTL, desihooper and 5 others like this.
  15. DVauthrin

Was I expecting the Astros to sign Josh Hader this offseason? Absolutely not. But, I couldn’t be more excited and happy they did. It is so refreshing to have an owner that does whatever it takes to put a good product on the diamond every season. As a fan, I’m very grateful for the way Jim Crane always wants to go for it. The last seven seasons of Astros’ baseball have been very special, and this run is something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Can the Astros pay all their players top dollar? No. But, with Jim Crane at the helm surrounded by smart baseball people, the team is in great hands every season.

16. raining threes

Haven't seen him throw a pitch.

17. raining threes

Have you thanked Dusty lately?

Wulaw Horn, everyday eddie and Salvy like this.
  18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Descent pitches are hard to come by if we’re being entirely honest with ourselves

Nook likes this.
  19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Pressly is severely under appreciated by most fans. His post season balls have been huge. He gets it done when it matters most. Honestly Hader makes them much better in the playoffs because of the stark contrast between the 2. Facing a high leverage spot that feasts on heat? Pressly enters. Line up stack with power lefties. Hader enters. This was a perfect fit. Just start scoring in MMP

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This team suffered from a lack of impact arms last season. This team should have the deepest pitching in baseball by September of 2024, and they are not losing a single one of them in 2025.

htownrox1 and raining threes like this.