1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Meh.

The Rockets are not a title contender right now.

Also - it isn't like Amen Thompson cannot do anything on the court right now. He is a very good defender, he is a good rebounder and penetrator as well. He already serves a role on this team and he is going to keep improving.

You don't take a back up center in the high lottery. I personally believe that Sengun will end up being a 4 half the time or more, so I would be happy to have an upside big, but I am not dealing Thompson for him.

2. a time to chill

I floated Sengun being a 4 a while ago, but people bought up a valid argument that Segun’s lack of 3 point shooting would hurt the spacing if we paired him with another big that also couldn’t shoot threes. I think Sengun’s better suited as a 4 as well of paired with the right big.

prs325 and Nook like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Like most of your opinions but Sengun is a center. Jabari will be a lockdown PF after 20 more pounds. Really our only long term question is sg, hopefully Green or Cam can be that, but I’m having my doubts on Jalen at this point.

Losmi_34, Arnel and Nook like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

His lack of three point shooting is a hinderance, but I don't think his lack of shooting will be a long term issue - it just hasn't been as big a priority for him. Also, a lot the long bigs can shoot open 3's now, which would fit well with Sengun because it opens the spacing for him. That is why Lopez was such a priority for the Rockets this last free agent season.

a time to chill, jcmoon and kubli9 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

We will see - I respect your opinion, and I think with the right players around him, he is fine as a center. I just believe that he would best be used playing PF at least half the time, with the right rim protector around him. It would need to be someone that alters shots, is long and can hit three-point shots. Jabari can guard 3's and 4's IMO.

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Remember as well about Amen…. if he becomes an effective NBA player, he really allows a lot of flexibility in lineups because of his size, rebounding, and defensive abilities.

Nook likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I just think Sengun is doing fine as a defensive center. He would really get burned on the perimeter. I like the idea of a good rim running defensive center as a backup and when Jabari muscles up he can play some center as well.

cbass, Nook and Plowman like this.
  8. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

As someone else has already mentioned he strikes me as more of an athlete than a basketball player similar to Jalen.

Obviously it's way too early, but I think we should consider passing on G-League draftees. They've all been disappointing given the hype. I wonder if we'd be saying the same about Scoot Henderson.

9. BonziWellsGOAT

The Amen is just an athlete narrative is lazy. He has an excellent bbiq for a rookie and his natural vision and passing ability is special. He's not a shooter but he is absolutely, without question a basketball player through and through.

cbass, Losmi_34 and Nook like this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I honestly don’t see any real similarities between Jalen and Amen. It’s a pretty terrible comparison IMO.

A_3PO likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

A project is still a project. He doesn't make a lot but, but this year still 8 mil on the books, and you also have to carve out playing time. He makes more than Tari and Alp combined.. Unlike a Landale who's non guaranteed, team has to keep him for the foreseeable future. With projects is team fronting the cost vs at least enjoying some of that production on a rookie deal. And the chance that person doesn't bloom at all. Johnny Davis (also a twin) was a defensive prospect who also wasn't good at shooting. He might be on his way out of the league.

Just depends on how much people believe in his upside. Some folks are really high, I'm on the doubtful side, at the very least, it's going to take a while. If we have the power of hindsight, and you get to take both Cam and Amen last draft, Cam would go at 4th and Amen at 20th.

Jaquez and Lively are useful off the jump and their fanbase can still argue upside. Thing is, if you offer Amen to MIA or DAL right now, they probably say no. Mystery box timer is already counting down.

Should we be patient sure, but it's also like when a prospect steps on the court, what is the base level that rookie is coming in as. People say 'vision' and 'passing', when I watch the games, his vision and and passing looked normal to what any Rookie may do. In which case, it's maybe better to hold some of these labels, until they are earned.

By end of this season, maybe a Rocket fan can cut a reel of Amen's passing and vision prowess.

#711 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    MrButtocks likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Strawberry Gum

He had a pretty impressive defensive stretch last night. Even though he's still not showing the flashes of a ball dominant point guard/forward, it's obvious that he has physical gifts and he is not a low IQ player. His career has the potential to be underwhelming but I don't think he will be a bust.

Nook and Y2JT like this.
  14. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

It's too early to judge him. He flashes brilliance on both ends, and most importantly, he has a good feel for the game. He's cutting well, and he's mostly on point with his defense. The main weakness aside his shot is his handling. Way too casual and insecure with the ball, and without a tight handle, he won't be able to take advantage of his potentially great drive and dish game.

Also his shot is terrible right now, but im confident in him upping the %'s steadily as he gets more in rhytm. The form is ugly for sure, but the aim is consistent. He doesn't miss all over the rim and the backboard, his shots are mostly short and clank of the front of the rim. Hopefully as he gets his wind back, the numbers improve.

We need to remember that he's just starting to round out into his form. He was injuried for most of the summer and then went down as soon as he came back. The injuries are my only real concern regarding Amen. If he can stay on the floor, I'm confident in him becoming a big piece of our puzzle down the line.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  15. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'm hoping he'll turn into a great PG. He flashes IQ and athleticism. Took Jason Kidd a while to develop his 3%; Amen should study how Kidd stepped into and released those open 3s on kick-outs.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don't see it. I mean, yes, there are some big positives there, but that shot is what it is I'm afraid. I'm not convinced it's going to change. The guy has been groomed to be a basketball player for his entire life, it's not like he's just now picking up the game. Some people just can't shoot, and I'm pretty sure he's one of them. There's still enough to his game to be a good player, but he's never going to be a shooter. It's ghastly...

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen is not a bust and we should delete this thread. Ime needs to play him 20 minutes a game and he will produce for our team. On defense, he is a great defender with a wingspan who can rebound, produce steals and will be able to SWITCH on any defender. On offense, he is a great penetrator, great passer and a nice offense rebounder. His shooting is OKAY for now. He only played 21 games and no summer league games…
    When he get to his 40th game while averaging 20 minutes a game his shooting will improve. We have a Star and Cam and Amen will be a great NBA backcourt soon, very soon and will be the envy of the NBA

beardsanity713 and Hemingway like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. Amen is already worthy of twenty minutes a game even for a contender. He will need deep threats all around him and Cam and Jabari can fill that role. People discounting Amen’s worth are only watching his 3 pt form. He already is developing a decent mid-range and he will become all defensive team candidate when he becomes a starter which I think will happen around the trade deadline next year.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I can't imagine a situation in which Amen will be a "bust." Disappointing? Sure. But I bet he'll have a long career based on his defense alone.

20. cml750

cml750 Member

He is not a bust yet but he does have bust potential. Only time will tell.