1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Texans @ Colts Preofficial Game Thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Marshall Bryant, Dec 31, 2023.

1. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

2. Buck Turgidson

I LOOOOOVE THE TITANS!!!!!

ROCKSS and Marteen like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

If you're gonna go Van Haggar, go FULL Van Haggar

ROCKSS and MadMax like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He did own up to it...

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Can't find the post now, but somebody (@Buck Turgidson?) wanted the radio call of the opening bomb.

Here ya go...gotta admit...pretty subdued.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. SuraGotMadHops

Man it feels good to get one over on the Colts finally and end their season.

SirRocket likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I can't stand VanDermeer or Ware - I think they're both insufferable. Mark is constant cringe.

But I do love Joe Buck - who personifies big games (and defines a lot of the Astros' run) and almost always delivers and, boy - I thought he was awful Saturday night (Aikman was his usual boring self). Granted, it wasn't a *great* game - but the ending sure was, and Buck seemed thoroughly disinterested.

Tirico and Collinsworth are, for my money, the two best national guys. Nantz and Romo behind - but not by much. I don't think much of the Fox guys and Michaels and Herbstreet are fairly awful on Amazon.

I'm hoping against hope we get Tirico & Collinsworth Saturday - but I truly doubt we will.

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I drove from MD to Canton for Warren Moon's HoF induction the same year Aikman was inducted. Aikman was the last to speak and I got up and left about 5 minutes into it, it was THAT boring.

I've never liked VanDermeer and can't believe he's lasted 20+ years. It's sad considering the talent that's been behind the mic for Houston sports over the decades (God, I miss Gene Peterson). His touchdown call is the worst.

I find I really kind of tune out the voices while watching the NFL. Although the audio kept cutting out on the stream I was using to watch the Possum Holler game yesterday and it was distracting, so what do I know. It's all been downhill since Cosell, Gifford and Dandy Don on Monday nights anyway.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tirico/Collinsworth will be in Detroit on Sunday... which is cool because Tirico is from there and he's not hiding the excitement of getting to call Stafford's return to Detroit and them hosting a playoff game for the first time in over 30 years.

I have no idea who will be calling the Texans game since they really only have one team and last year it was Al Michaels getting the second game due to his emeritus status, but they've already said it won't be him this year (he's being replaced by Ian Eagle's son), and they have the peacock game as well that is more high profile.

Could they dust off Don Cirqui who seemed to call almost every Oilers game back in the 90's?

For me, the Fox guys are actually impressing and are right there with the rest of the guys you mentioned. Burkhart has solid command of every game and a distintive voice, and Olsen actually does point out things that not all viewers pick up (as opposed to Romo who seemingly just says "Here we go Jim", or "I don't know Jim!" every 3 seconds). Olsen should be a #1 analyst but he's going to get pushed out when Brady comes in next year.

Agreed that Buck was pretty lackluster Saturday. Aikman made a ton of improvement over the last few years, but if the game is meh he's not going to carry the broadcast in any way.

10. Hey Now!

Did not realize NBC/Peacock is getting 3 games. Wow. I wonder if Tirico/Collinsworth would pull double-duty?

I know it's the LA market - but I'm surprised Rams-Lions is the weekend's spotlight game. Fox likely put their flag down on Cowboys v anybody (and I think Dallas/Green Bay is THE marquee match-up, in terms of national/casual interest). The best *football* match-up is likely Dolphins-Chiefs. Steelers-Bills also likely has high national recognition/interest - surprised it's not MNF - but CBS may have put foot down since they were losing KC/Mahomes.

From a football perspective, every match-up (save Eagles-Bucs) is intriguing. But I'm not sure how much intriguing football match-ups carry over to national interest.

11. Hey Now!

It's shocking ROCK AND ROLL! lasted more than a single game, let alone 20+ years, and it's just as shocking that it's 2024 and we still employ an announcer who jackhammers a flaccid catchphrase into every big moment (while his partner yelps in the background GO COOGS!). They are just the worst.

#1531 Hey Now!, Jan 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rams/Lions is probably slated to be the most competitive/evenly matched game... so there's also that.

Dolphins/Chiefs looks good on paper (and would have been awesome if the season ended week 8)... but if you look closely how each team has been limping/regressing these last few weeks, it actually has less appeal.

Its also fairly clear that the 3:30 Sunday game IS the exclusive game of the week and the rest of the slots get filled after that gets claimed. The Texans have only been on one of those games in their 20+ year existence so there's also that exclusivity metric. (2012 - Texans at Broncos, Matt Schaub ear game).

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

[/QUOTE]
    All true... then again, for a team that lacks a true passionate connection with the city, a team that has very little recognition on a national level, and a team that will always be "young/expansion" in many people's eyes until they're not... its kinda cool to have consistency/longevity on the announcer level that most teams don't have?

I remember Worrell/Murphy being a little too animated for a lot of viewers in the early 90's... then they became beloved once the team started having real success.

Blatz likes this.
  14. Fantasma Negro

I've watched this 1000x :D:D:D

Alright, now I'm ready for Cleveland

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member