1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka didn't love the play of the Rockets starters in Philly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2024.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I really think we need Kelly Olynyk. He's no Sengun but he's the closest thing we could get to a functional proxy off the bench. Uncle Jeff is better at the 4 anyway and adding a real backup center could then push Tate out of the lineup even without Tari (thank god).

plegus, Joe Rocket, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Im going to give udoka more time to get better players in here before i say hes a bad offensive coach.

Fred is really a complimentary offensive piece and hes forced to be an engine. Jabari is not a creator. Jalen is not an offensive engine. Brooks isnt either.

None of the guys in the starting lineup have ever been good at moving off ball and cutting to get buckets.

But all that said, if we could depend on Jalen to be a bucket like he claimed he was then the offense looks a lot better. His role on the team is supposed to be alpha scorer. If any team was forced to put jalen in their starting lineup theyd struggle too.

cml750 and Joe Rocket like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jalen is more like Charlie from IAS in Philly....

[​IMG]

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good discussion. Concerning Jeff Green, a couple of games ago he had a knee on knee collision with an opposing player and came out worse for wear. Uncle Jeff is playing anyway, which I admire, but it’s had an impact on his play, in my opinion. Ime said after that game that his knee swelled, so he kept him out. You guys may have noticed that one of his legs is heavily wrapped now. The injury is bad luck for Green and bad luck for the Rockets. He’s been an asset on the court, in my opinion, up until now.

HardenReturns, DeBeards, Hui and 4 others like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it’s time to bench Jalen, but unfortunately we don’t have another 2-guard worth starting. Cam is still learning the game and best suited to coming off the bench. The KPJ debacle continues to really hurt.

I was content waiting till the offseason to make a deal, but given the urgent need at the 2, I think Stone needs to get off his ass and get us a competent player at the deadline. This is ridiculous.

clearly not all of our offensive disfunction is due to Jalen. But if Bari is only gonna shoot one 3 pointer a game, we can’t have our shooting guard going 1 for 7.

#45 Aruba77, Jan 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We are not deep enough to lose 2 of the top 6 players on the team. The slide coincides largely with the Brooks and Tari injuries. Jabari’s injury just when he was hitting his stride hurt as well. This was going to be a brutal road trip no matter what. I expect we right the ship somewhat. With the way Utah is playing the play-in is going to be really tough. The NBA will do everything in their power to get the Lakers and Warriors into the top 10. It is gong to take an injury or two for us to be favorites for the play-in (Lebron, Davis, Curry, Zion, etc.)

Patience likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Because he absolutely sucks, especially on the defensive end.

anthony59237 likes this.
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yeah I miss that guy

OremLK likes this.
  9. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

This team still have some holes to fill after the Silas era...I think we're doing quite well compared to last season

tagedieb, DaDakota and Joe Rocket like this.
  10. gotsis

gotsis Member

Nah man, we are moving the goal posts because we are better than expected. This was always another year of developing young players while winning more than last year.

We will certainly win more than last year by a big margin. What sucks is the lack of development by Jalen Green, he's the big loss of the franchise right now.

DaDakota and Joe Rocket like this.
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Wasted high pick. Look at Paolo and Franz we were supposed to have that with Jabari and Jalen

#51 Joe Rocket, Jan 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    Hui and gotsis like this.
  12. gotsis

gotsis Member

I think Jabari will be alright. I mean, don't think he will ever be a superstar, but I envision him being the 3rd best player of a team and being a great switchable defender.

Jalen is another story. He has so many holes in his game and for me it's looking it would take a miracle to reach the ceiling of a player like Tim Hardaway Jr, not to mention the lofty Kobe Bryant expectations he was drafted with.

HardenReturns likes this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He was supposed to be #1 pick level

jcmoon likes this.
  14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

look how young he is!! He's doing this at 20 years old! He will be a great player one day. Guys with that size, shooting, and defense don't grow on trees. He'll be better than klay thompson for sure. Just imagine 30 more pounds of muscle at 25. High post game, great shooting and defense. He's just going to take longer to develop.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

nah that’s not the reason since that’s not even the case.

16. JW86

JW86 Member

Tired of the same old with Ime, he needs to look at himself more. The simplistic explanations hopefully do not reflect his honest thoughts.

HardenReturns and Ankara1923 like this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

grass is greener syndrome

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Obviously, our FO is too stoned to see it.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Might be brown grass that some think is green.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Some fans only watch offense and Holiday has regressed there as well. I think Ime agrees, thus this conversation.