1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Idea For Covering Plants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by deb4rockets, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

In the past, I used to see on Craig's List free bales of used Tyvek from car importers/dealers.

A bale of used Tyvek is much more material than a home gardener could use, but maybe somebody has a connection to get just a few sections.

Since the material will have been shaped to cover a car, it will take some work to reconfigure it for use as a garden cover.

It should be fairly sturdy and resistant to harsh weather, but no idea about insulation properties.

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Thanks for the detailed response. I've done drip irrigation for my container plants where I just hook up the hose and turn the spigot on for a couple of minutes and the emitters do their thing and just turn them off. I wanted to use the timer on the spigot but heard after a while the weather (sun/rain, etc) causes issues with the timers and one day you may come home to water running all over the place for hours because the timer broke or the connection broke because they're not made to take continuous pressure. Heck if I know, but for my purposed just going back there and turning the spigot on for a couple of minutes isn't much of a problem. Maybe the B-Hyves are better than the standard Orbit stuff. I almost bought the B-Hyve irrigation controller for my lawn but went with Rachio. They're both pretty good from what I understand.

I really only grow peppers and I had a rabbit problem (didn't grow anything the last couple of years) and still do where they poop and pee and kill grass on my front lawn. But you know, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing bits of spit out scorpion and tepin peppers in my containers from where they tried to eat the plants. Gotcha back, Bugs! Muhahaha!

#22 Dr of Dunk, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    Kevooooo likes this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

I would Start with Stairway to Heaven and end with whole lotta love.

FrontRunner and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Finished up this morning, only got poked once. I wanted to drape patio string lights to add heat, but LEDs don't give off enough. Going to cover them with some drop cloth and hope for the best.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My pole idea didn't work out because it took too many sheets to cover it with the poles set up high to cover the taller plants on the left side of the flowers. I had to redneck a solution. It's not pretty, but it worked out.

I just left one section over most of the flowers and lowered the poles to the bottom ring of the tomato cages after cutting down flowers. It actually worked great with one sheet, but I had to pull it across inside the cages to reach the ground on each end, which left open holes where the cages were. I just covered the cage on one end with a bottom sheet, and stuffed a beach towel inside one to keep drafts out, and all openings covered.

I used tomato cages around the other plants plants to drape sheets over certain sections. It's not pretty, but it was cheap. I made a teepee to cover my hibiscus and 4 small plants that were around it on one end of the garden, with a couple small stakes on the outside to pull the sheet around to keep it off the plants.
    PXL_20240114_230130633.MP~3.jpg
    PXL_20240114_230137333.MP~2.jpg

#25 deb4rockets, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    CCity Zero, Kevooooo and Gabe0941 like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice job, definitely agree on LEDs. You should keep/get some incandescent bulbs in the future for this. I used a few old Christmas lights in the past in Austin when it was colder than this and it was amazing for preventing my outside faucets/spigots from freezing. This was a few years ago but the stupid covers/wrap did nothing with how poor the insulation was done on the outside walls and by 2nd day I went ahead and defrosted it early/used the Xmas lights well worth it. I also tossed a small set in the meter box.

I realize everything before the meter is the water cos problem but the ground where the meter was, was at like 8... With the lights and a cover over it I got the temp into the 70s. It actually started defrosting my yard early! Well worth it vs what my neighbors dealt with.

Anyway great job on both of these, one day I might plant something... Lately I have just been worried about my oaks.

7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I wonder if some of those cheap emergency blankets you get at places like REI and Walmart might be useful. Maybe with another layer over top??? Or maybe those cheapie rolls of clear plastic some painters use???

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I didn't see this thread until now, but another thing that you can do to add extra heat is putting a few candles under the covering. The religious candles work well.

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The sheet pulled over the PVC pipes saved my Gerbera daisies and flowers. The sheet pulled over tomato cages saved my 3 Salvia plants. :)

PXL_20240117_182408927.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20240117_182356979.MP~2.jpg

Kevooooo and Gabe0941 like this.