1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/2-62] Juice Scruggs, C/G, Penn State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of Juice Scruggs?

Poll closed Saturday at 8:41 PM.
  1. YES

76.5%
  2. NO

23.5%
  1. bcast89

bcast89 Member

I agree but we should still look to add some depth. We have plenty of cap space to do so. If there’s someone in the draft that they feel is a good fit, maybe a pick or two on one as well. Need to protect our franchise QB and we can always be better.

astros123 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. raining threes

\\\\\\\\If they re-sign

Greenard
    Cashman
    Rankins
    Barnett
    Perryman
    Nelson
    Motor
    Fairbarin
    Johnston
    Carson-Houston
    KJ

Plus extending Collins which is something I really hope Caserio does, there may be enough money to sign one impact FA.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We don't need resign all those guys though.

astros123 likes this.
  4. raining threes

Agreed

I was just trying to temper fans expectations of what could happen in FA.

Which ones would you let walk?

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

+Shultz

cbass and astros123 like this.
  6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

In response to your other post of which ones I would KEEP, I bolded.

This is if we spend the rest of the money on Chris Jones and Barkley. Then draft a WR, S, BPA.. we don’t need more OLine, Barnett and WAJ with Jones is amazing, if we don’t sign Chris Jones then bring Greenard instead of Barnett. Ward, and Houston-Carson play and we draft a rookie S too. Cashman, Harris, and ToóToó can handle LB.

I don’t see Schultz listed but I think drafting a top end WR, Cade Stover, and Brevin Jordan can handle it.

Edit: if we don’t sign Barkley then sign Motor and Schultz with the money.

astros123 likes this.
  7. raining threes

I'm bringing back

Cashman
    Schultz
    Motor 1 yr 4 mil or 2 yrs 7 mil
    Barnett
    Nelson
    King on vet min
    Probably Greenard
    Fairbarin,
    Carson-Houston vet min
    Hewitt vet min. Great ST's guy.
    Tartt
    Definitely extending Collins.

If Caserio does this do you think they can sign 1 impact FA? Bring in a guy like Ridley and then draft

1.Cooper Dejean
    2.Edgerain Cooper
    3.Bucky Irving
    4. Braden Fiske
    4. Dallin Holker TE Colorado St.

#107 raining threes, Jan 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    astros123, red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's good news. Fingers crossed he can stay healthy through the playoffs. It would be great if he doesn't miss more than half the season next year for a hamstring again. I just don't trust our depth quality on the offensive line. It never hurts to seek good offensive or defensive linemen when guys dropped like flies every game of the season.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

I hope we dont give greenard a crazy contract. He has a history of injuries. 4/68 at the max

raining threes likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Im good with most of that. If we draft a TE then it should be Cade Stover because he will be a later pick and the stroud connection, otherwise you have Schultz and Brevin Jordan who I think is gonna thrive with stroud if he can get better at blocking.

But I would still trade Greenard/Motor/Ridley and one other (Schultz probably) for Jones and Barkley. But if Caserio picked your way I wouldn’t be mad at it either.

bcast89 likes this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

We had most likely a record-breaking amount of injuries to the OLine though. That’s not normal. And it does hurt if you are wasting draft capital when there are more pressing needs and better prospects at other positions.
    Just a reminder:
    We have Tunsil/Scruggs/deiter/mason/Howard
    Then Heck/Patterson/Ky Green/KD Green/Broeker/Josh jones

I mean I guess we can sign Fant if you want more depth? But who are you trying to upgrade and by what year?

astros123 likes this.
  13. raining threes

I've got Stover going in the 3rd.

houstonstime likes this.
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea that’s what I was thinkin. So use our 1st and 2nd on two of: Legette/Dejean/Nubin/Mitchel/Troy Franklin/Brian Thomas. Cade in the 3rd, and BPA after that with a focus on DL and LB.

raining threes likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea. Maybe they are injury prone guys. Maybe they are made of glass. If these same guys play healthy do you believe we could have a top 5 offensive line, make big holes for our running backs, give Stroud lots of time for plays to develop, and be able to push forward for easy gains with 1 or 2 yards to go to the end zone?

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think I’m willing to give them more than a single season to learn a completely new system. Especially when 2 of them it was their first ever season and 1 of them is as “injury prone” as Stingley and I would like to at least give him that benefit of the doubt before I spend more draft capital on them.
    We literally have (3) First round picks, a 2nd round pick, and a 6th rd pick that played much better than that on this line. So yes, when fully healthy and learned the system I think this can be a top 5 Line. Hell, after 3/4 of the season and just starting a RB that is good at the system literally made the run game lightyears better, imagine what another offseason and Barkley could do.

raining threes and deb4rockets like this.