1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will the window be closed?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Nov 25, 2018.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Thank you !!

I just reread the official draft order and see that the information I had was not correct.

Comp rounds:

A top 100 prospect that was on opening day roster wins ROY, team gets pick immediately after rd 1 (31 or 32)

Then any team who receives revenue sharing and loses a FA who was offered QO (typically very few and would fall in the 31-35 range) Twins are only team this year.

Then 8 lowest finishing revenue sharing teams (31- 40ish)

Then rd 2.

Then the 6 teams who received revenue sharing and finished with the best record (estimated 62-70)

Then teams who did not receive revenue sharing and stayed under the CBT get a pick if they lose a FA who was given a QO. (Typically low 70s and could be into the 80s in extreme cases)

Then rds 3 and 4

Then teams who lost a FA w/ QO attached but exceeded the CBT get to pick- 60 picks later.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

With this correction, I think staying under the CBT is still a benefit, but not nearly the benefit I thought. I was under the impression the pick(s) would be in the low 40s, not the 70s and possibly into the 80s.

I still think the team is prioritizing staying under the CBT but I no longer think it's a good idea to pass on players who can help in order to achieve that.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah that whole QO oh Noe’s we lose (or gain!) a draft pick is fan hyped nonsense that owners use to justify being cheap. It’s just not that big a deal that it needs to be seriously factored into a decision of whether or not you want to give yourself a better chance to win a World Series now, which is kind of the point of the whole thing, allegedly.

cmlmel77, The Beard and IdStrosfan like this.
  3. raining threes

I'm hoping Whitley and Coleman can form an electric 6-7th inning eating duo.

I've got hope for Baez/Gomez/Loperfido/Decenzo developing into solid everyday players and more than that with Baez.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I think it changed with the last CBA

The advantage on the pick is minimal as the past several years show. Once you get into that range it’s all a crapshoot

The benefit to staying under the tax is to Cranes wallet

5. The Beard

If Whitley turns into anything that helps I’ll root hard for him

But honestly I gave up on that prick a long time ago

vince likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t disagree. I am pretty optimistic about the pitching depth. I think at least 2 of the below pitchers will turn into quality 7th/8th inning RP this season:
    Whitley
    Coleman
    Sousa
    Dubin
    Gage
    Bielak
    Martinez
    Blanco
    Mushinski
    Cronin
    Ortega
    Marquez
    Solis
    Tamarez
    Suero
    Scott
    Contreras

raining threes likes this.
  7. raining threes

Forgot about Sousa and Blanco. I think if taught how to pitch out of the bullpen Blanco could be better than what Stanek was last year.

8. raining threes

Why do you consider him to be a prick. He's just been injury prone as far as I can tell.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

He has refused to listen to or do what the coaches have asked year after year

Stephen66, vince and raining threes like this.
  10. The Beard

Attitude has cost him as much or more than injuries

Wanted nothing to do with anything Strom had to tell him

Like I say I’ll root for him if he makes it, but certainly wouldn’t count on him for anything

vince, IdStrosfan and raining threes like this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's so damn easy to spend other people's money... or put them in debt.

IdStrosfan likes this.