1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

It sounds romantic to have an all star cast of wideouts, but WR#3-5 on this team should not cost you high draft capital or salary obligations. Nico and Tank are going to feast for years with CJ and we aren’t exactly lacking firepower or experience doldrums when everyone is healthy. I was thinking about Big Mike or someone else, but I don’t think it’s necessary. Catch a rookie wideout in the 4th round this year and he will still be pretty good for us in this offense. RB may be more pressing than WR for our offense while another IOL would be priority 1 on that side of the ball. Just my 2 cents watch Caserio trade up for WR lol!

astros123 likes this.
  2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Reddit says our pick is at best 20th and no worse than 24th after yesterdays win.

astros123 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Latest ESPN mock had us drafting Texas’ Byron Murphy. Think it’d be a hell of an addition.

4. Buck Turgidson

He's no slouch against the run at all, but he's really good at collapsing the pocket up the middle

eta: also, even though he's not all *that* huge, he's allegedly just about the strongest guy on the UT roster.

#1024 Buck Turgidson, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

We already have “rookie” wideouts from later rounds: Metchie and X. hutch. We either need a game changer (speed) like Legette or Troy Franklin. Or a big target in the red zone like Brian Thomas. Legette has everything but a little unpolished. Bring him in to learn under Nico and Andre Johnson while having the most accurate qb in the league throwing him the ball.
    You say WR 3-5… but just this year alone Legette would have been WR 2 for at least half the games.

raining threes and astros123 like this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Draft WR and DT with first 2 picks .. (Coleman and Sweat )
    Urgently sign a Starting safety and DE
    ( hopefully Josh Allen and
    Geno Stone) ...
    the rest will fall into place

astros123 and raining threes like this.
  7. mightybosstone

An added bonus to the Cowboys losing? The Texans draft pick is one spot higher. Go Rams, Steelers and Bucs!

8. raining threes

Or you could give Stroud the best weapons possible by going BPA and make the offense elite. Then draft defense at places you need guys like S/DT/LB in rds 2-3.

9. raining threes

Agreed, I'm also hoping they bring back Barnett. Sanders has really surprised me too. But you cant ever have too many pass rushers.

red5rocket likes this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

If Brian Thomas is there at the Cleveland pick I think you have to get him. Defense cant double Nico, Tank and Thomas and wont have quality DBs to cover those guys 1 on 1. Somebody would get open every snap. If you have the chance you do that IMO. For similar reasons I target Tez Walker in second round if I go another position in the first.

I do want one of the Texas DTs in the second. Think Id prefer Sweat but I am a Murphy fan as well.

My perfect (not too far-fetched) draft is probably a trade back with Washington or NYG for their 2 seconds (maybe our first plus a future second or third?). Anyway, selecting Tez Walker, Sweat AND Murphy. Re-sign our own and poach Xavier McKinney or Antoine Winfield and call it a day.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just ran this:
    28. Mitchell WR Texas
    58. Taylor DT Miami (FL)
    90. Eichenberg LB Ohio St
    118 Spann-Ford TE Minnesota
    122 Wilson WR Mich
    2025 KC 2nd

The last two are my Red Zone Special Team with extra height and Mass. Possible replacements for Noah and Schultz if they dont re-sign.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

23. Houston Texans (via CLE)
    Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

A year after taking Will Anderson Jr. in the top three, why not add his former teammate in Dallas Turner to continue to build DeMeco Ryans' defense? Houston is going to be around a LONG time in the AFC, and adding a twitched-up sack artist like Turner will make the Texans that much better. Anderson Jr. on one side and Turner on the other? Ab-so-lutely.

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/14/nfl-mock-draft-2024-marvin-harrison-jr

22nd pick amirite? I would freaking go wild if this happened.

Also, Be wary of all undersized 6’1 Lincoln Riley made QBs.

13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Perfect trade when we both think we got the better of the deal. BTW, I may be the only guy who realizes those draft picks are only for the term of the Rookie Contract plus a Franchise tag option. It's NOT for their career.

raining threes likes this.
  16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of people were upset we made this trade. I had no feeling towards it because you never know how it’s going to turn out. I really like having picks in each round and this trade gave us that opportunity. Great gamble by Nick being that we had no idea who we would have picked.

They picked Kelee Ringo, who I wanted btw.

whag00 and raining threes like this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rudyc281, astros123 and red5rocket like this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some of the latest mock draft picks.

23. Houston Texans (from Cleveland Browns) - Kris Jenkins, DL, Michigan

With Sheldon Rankins set to hit free agency, the Texans land an ascending interior defensive lineman in Kris Jenkins.

23. Houston Texans (from Browns)
    Jer'Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois (6-2, 295 pounds)

Newton will be a candidate to come off the board a little earlier but the Texans should make him a target if available with his natural run-stopping ability and pass-rushing upside for DeMeco Ryans.

Round 1 - Pick 23
    Quinyon Mitchell CB
    TOLEDO • JR • 6'0" / 196 LBS

Quinyon Mitchell is a DeMeco Ryans-type player: tough, smart and accountable. Houston is loaded with promising young talent on both sides of the ball. Mitchell is another log on the fire.

23. HOUSTON TEXANS
    TROY FRANKLIN, WR, OREGON

Height: 6-foot-3
    Weight: 187 pounds
    Class: Junior

Fit: C.J. Stroud is taking the playoffs by storm. After dominating one of the league's best defenses in the wild-card round, the sky's the limit for Stroud and the Houston Texans offense.

Nico Collins has had a breakout season, but if the Texans can upgrade their WR2 spot with Tank Dell recovering from injury and Noah Brown hitting free agency, they could be scarier in 2024.

23. Houston Texans (via CLE)
    Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

A year after taking Will Anderson Jr. in the top three, why not add his former teammate in Dallas Turner to continue to build DeMeco Ryans' defense? Houston is going to be around a LONG time in the AFC, and adding a twitched-up sack artist like Turner will make the Texans that much better. Anderson Jr. on one side and Turner on the other? Ab-so-lutely

19. raining threes

Draft Trice, re-sign Barnett, let JG walk, spend FA money on filling in holes.

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. raining threes

I would be happy with any of these picks except for Franklin. I've got questions on whether he can beat press coverage against more physical NFL CB's.

Qan and deb4rockets like this.