1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damn, Caserio.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Sep 18, 2023.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Hamilton was drafted at number 14, and green was drafted at number 15.

2. Qan

Qan Member

Texans traded down to 15. I'm sure he meant Caserio should've kept the pick. I'm still hoping Green comes back strong next season...

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Oh you read it huh?

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Could be more illuminating to look at who he grabbed before Demeco, with those off seasons and 1.5 drafts.

Nico, Stingley, Harris, Nelson, Cashman, Jordan, Metchie, M. Collins all either came up big yesterday or have been key contributors. He’ll get who Demeco and co. want but the aforementioned acquisitions demonstrate competency.

Building a great special teams unit before Demeco and sustaining it is another plus. No reason to question the cap management at this point. Like the short term contracts and then re-sign or get comp picks approach.

I like what a previous poster said about different backgrounds (Caserio and Demeco) being able to work together being a good thing. Much better than the groupthink in the Kubiak era.

No one will agree but I think Culley and Lovie were possibly bridge coaches until the perfect candidate emerged. Imagine if they had settled for a “hot commodity” last offseason and not ended up with Demeco?

5. raining threes

Caserio went to Tank's workouts, while Lovie went to Stingley, Sauces workouts.

6. raining threes

Great post

Caserio has done an unbelievable job. I'm not ready to write off Green yet, just like I'm wasn't ready to write off Stingley, although I wanted Sauce over Stingley due to injury. But Stingley's talent is undeniable, just has to stay healthy.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

One of my longstanding complaints about Nick is a seeming need to be smartest man in the room. So I'm not sure he would've gone Young over Stroud, and certainly not because it was the external consensus.

The element of this I rarely see discussed is whatever connection Demeco still has to Alabama. I have to assume it played a role in his enthusiasm for Anderson, and I wonder if it would have played a role - good or bad - in their evaluation of Young. If he had someone internal to the program he trusted could've potentially swayed their opinion if they had a choice.

hlmbasketball likes this.
  8. swakid8

swakid8 Member

There’s rumors that Meco doesn’t have too much love for Alabama for the way they have done his previous coach before Saban was hired…,

In regards to Nick coming off as the smartness man in the room, I can see that with how he handled his press conferences early on on top of coming from New England, there is a pre conceived bias of folks making judgments on staff coming out of Nee England acting like the smartest man in the room (thanks to BOB)….

But the more I am seeing him operate and draft. Behind the scenes, I just don’t see it. I think he’s all about collaboration, finally he has a competent coaching staff to collaborate with….

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What is your source for that complaint. Are YOU in the room or do you have spies. Or is it merely conjecture?

10. SuraGotMadHops

That feeling as a fan when you have full trust in the General Manager of your team...I felt it with Hunsicker, Luhnow, Morey, and now Caserio. I thought Rick Smith was ok, but not the level of full on trust.

Hell, I might have more trust in Caserio and co. right now than I do in the Astros front office, which is NUTS considering one franchise is just a year removed from a championship and the other was in complete dysfunction at that same time.

11. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

More trust than the Astros' current front office? It's a reasonable thought since the new GM is unproven and they haven't done much this offseason. But more than Astros with Luhnow? Not a chance. Caserio is doing great however and hopefully on his way towards building a dynasty as well. A magic QB will tend to make a lot of people look good.

12. SuraGotMadHops

I was talking about the Astros current FO only. Luhnow is the best GM this city will ever have.

houstonstime likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

You want me to source.... my opinion?

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We'll probably never know what really went on during these previous few really weird years with Easterby. I think Culley was hired because nobody wanted to touch this franchise with a ten foot pole at the time; and Culley was a nice guy that got a huge raise that Cal and Easterby liked. I think Lovie was a safety net hire after other candidates fell through.

Somehow Cal and Hannah saw the light and fired Easterby. Maybe it was Andre and/or other former players in their ear. Then by a stroke of luck, the hottest candidate was one of our guys and wanted to be here. And then we get what might be a generational talent at QB.

13 in 33, cbass and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. Hey Now!

I've never bought this. They could have absolutely hired a young, competent coordinator in 2020. Watch what happens in Carolina - an opening that is every bit as bad as the Texans' job was. They will not be reduced to hiring someone like David Culley.

The Lovie hire was, I'll always believe, a panic hire because they were dead-set on McNown and somebody, thankfully, got through & told them they could not, under any circumstances, hire an inexperienced white guy.

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  16. raining threes

If Ryans would have really wanted Young Caserio would have traded up for him. But that would have meant no WA and Ryans really wanted WA.

percicles likes this.
  17. raining threes

Exactly

The press and lemming fans were very unfair with Caserio. He has a long term vision for the team and the press, most fans wanted instant gratification. It was always going to take at least 3 years to cleanup the mess BOB left behind and that's if he got lucky. He was fortunate enough to get lucky.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with baseless conjecture. It's fun.

19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Very much agree. Demeco is a defensive coach and having an S tier pass rusher is super important to his scheme and today’s NFL. I think the McNairs wanted a QB for obvious financial reasons and it just so happened that we could get both with the draft assets we had. I think they would have pulled the same deal for Bryce tbh. But hey sometimes you get lucky and we hit the jackpot. IIRC San Diego really wanted Tua and would have taken him if the Dolphins didn’t with the pick before them. They got lucky. Justin Herbert is a way better QB than Tua.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Thanks Bagwell and Dusty...

13 in 33 and raining threes like this.