1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Best Selling EVs 2023
    1. Tesla Model Y: 394,497 Units

2. Tesla Model 3: 220,910 Units

3. Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV: 62,045 Units

4. Ford Mustang Mach-E: 40,771 Units

5. Volkswagen ID.4 37,789 Units

6. Hyundai Ioniq 5: 33,819 Units

7. Rivian R1S: 24,783 Units

8. Ford F-150 Lightning: 24,165 Units

9. Tesla Model X: 23,015 Units

10. BMW i4: 22,583 Units

11. Kia EV6: 18,897 Units

12. Rivian R1T: 17,727 Units

13. BMW iX: 17,301 Units

14. Tesla Model S: 16,466 Units

15. Mercedes-Benz EQS: 15,510 Units

16. Mercedes-Benz EQE: 14,895 Units

17. Nissan Aryia: 13,464 Units

18. Hyundai Ioniq 6: 12,999 Units

19. Polestar 2: 12,215 Units

20. Audi Q4 e-tron: 10,750 Units

https://insideevs.com/news/704178/20-best-selling-evs-us-2023/

No Worries and B-Bob like this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

should have presented above info like this..my bad.

[​IMG]
    1. Tesla Model Y: 394,497 units, +56.6%
    2. Tesla Model 3: 220,910 units, +4.4%
    3. Chevy Bolt EV: 62,045 units, +62.8%
    4. Ford Mustang Mach-E: 40,771 units, +3.3%
    5. Volkswagen ID.4: 37,789 units, +84.2%
    6. Hyundai Ioniq 5: 33,918 units, +47.6%
    7. Rivian R1S: 24,783 units, N/A (was 676 units in 2022)
    8. Ford F-150 Lightning: 24,165 units, +54.7%
    9. Tesla Model X: 23,015 units, -11.9%
    10. BMW i4: 22,583 units, +134.6%
    https://www.benzinga.com/news/24/01...or-gm-but-rivian-and-an-unlikely-korean-rival

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We need more and better regulation. And it's not just EVs as Cory Doctorow points out in this excerpt from his latest newsletter:

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My sister leased an ioniq 6 for the tax credit and free charging. It's a well made and good looking car. Ride is stiff for passengers on the highest regen settings, and the free charging is only for 30 mins a day, Hyundai didn't hold back when it tried to make the best ev sedan for American drivers.

I guess ioniq5 serves a niche for hatchback/crossover since it's looks are def polarizing.

The 6 would probably sell much better if tax credits were offered for sales and marketing found a better audience to focus upon it,

Does that smartcar at least make me sandwiches on the daily?

Sajan likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

That joke's been around for a long time:

Someday soon there will be a country song about the guy crying in his beer because his truck left him.

No Worries, B-Bob and Space Ghost like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I did it all the time when Teslas were still a novelty. Every time I would travel to SF/Silicon Valley, I would rent a Tesla (via Turo).

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That makes sense, and for a while it felt almost necessary in C-suite circles.

clos4life, Sajan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I just wanted to try them, ended up buying a model 3 and then a model Y later.

I liked how cool the falcon doors on the Model X looked, but didn't find them very practical.

B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I actually looked if I could rent a Taycan via Turo on one of my recent trips, but nothing was available.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not a chance you'll see it here, especially at that price, but I look at the EV's people are buying here for $40k+ and laugh when I see stuff like this. A car that actually looks good and has an interior you feel like you'd want to get into. I mean, it may fall apart and spy on you, who knows, but for starting at $25k, not bad. NOTE : I know about Geely, but have no clue if this will be a trash vehicle. lol.

Geely Galaxy E8 Goes On Sale For Less Than $25,000

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seems like Russian roulette for batteries spontaneously combusting

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm actually thinking about one of these as the used rates on them have fallen precipitously. It's a beautiful car. I wish it was made hybrid or regular as well.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I will do a hybrid.. bit not a full EV...

T_Man

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

whats holding EV's back the most right now? battery tech?

certainly sounds like the infrastructure is being built out...i know biden passed some bills that included money for chargers specifically.

i'm hoping they come down in price quite a bit, i've got awhile before i'll need a new car but if they can get the prices down to what gas powered are..

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I wouldn't say anything is holding EV's back other than time. Lithium production/refining was an issue but battery demand across the board has dramatically dropped the cost of lithium. Battery plants are being built all over the world.

Currently charging stations are one of the biggest barriers for the next stage of adoption. Large MDU's need to find a solution. 25 minute charge times is not acceptable if the driver has to wait. Quick charging is not on the roadmap at this point.

Service centers are also a problem. EV startups do not have enough of them and legacy dealerships have little incentive to get into the EV market.

Energy demand long term will be an issue across the board.

clos4life likes this.
  17. Sajan

Sajan Member

would check out the taycan specific forums. wouldnt touch the 2020.....

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For the masses? It's probably prices followed by range. The average electric car has probably dropped in price 25% and people still aren't flocking to them. Some of that is probably due to the economy, but a lot of it is hesitancy to adopt. The problem with them coming down in price here in the US is that most manufacturers would rather cut back on production and inventory than lose any more money. I'm hoping battery tech changes to help facilitate all this, but right now the alternatives like sodium-ion are granting less energy density, so you give up a little to get something. And even then I'm not sure how much manufacturers are going to pass on to the end user.

Most of these vehicles start around $40k. You can get Honda's lineup in base models for around $24-$28k. The average family is going to continue going for the Hondas and Toyotas especially if finances require you to only think about buying a new car every decade or more. Or maybe even buy used instead.

Interesting thing about Hertz dumping a bunch of their EV vehicles due to maintenance costs was that there were a lot of Model 3's being sold for something like $20k. I'm curious what the demographics on the people buying those are. I had a friend who thought about buying one for a beater, but decided against it. The ones going for $20k had about 70k-90k miles on them, but that doesn't seem like too much in terms of mileage. There were lots of others with maybe 20k miles on them for under $30k. But they're rentals, so who knows how they've been handled, charged, etc.

Sajan likes this.
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

Probably a few things....

1. over calculation of range needed in 90% of their daily lives. everyones waiting for the 500+ car that can recharge in 5 mins.

2. fear of battery replacement costs. perception is reality.

3. charging infrastructure. chicken or egg. folks are waiting for more stations. and we need a crap ton more. look at the maps of super charges and other ones....there are still charging deserts in a lot of areas. if one is down, you are doomed. why would anyone want to run to get an EV to over complicate their trips.

4. brand loyalty....as much as some people think tesla is the only ev everyone should drive.....cars are more personal and people have very strong opinions about what car they want. so whether or not competition is coming is the issue (as space whacko constantly mocks everyone for) .....competition NEEDS to come if EV adoption is to go up.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member