1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cringeworthy] Craig Akerman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, Jan 13, 2024.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You ain't tricking if you got it

I don't know why he says that when an opponent makes a mistake, can the urban youth explain the connection?

2. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I like them but could do without Ryan telling us about everyone he played with back in the day.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Not a fan. Ackerman doesn’t have an announcers voice. Announcers should have good voices. He also is not good at play by play. A lot of times things are happening and he just watches and doesn’t speak. I realize that TV play by play doesn’t have to be as descriptive as radio play by play, but sometimes l don’t know all the players on the opposite team, so names could be useful.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Craig is first class.

DD

Zen Tabak likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bonus video

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There has never been a time when Rockets fans are happy with the commentators. Not even when Bill and Calvin were on.

More importantly, all fans of all teams are like that. There's a weird thing that makes it impossible to please everyone. You get nerds, they want homers. You get homers they want entertainers. You get entertainers they want nerds. It's the weirdest thing ever.

I think no one will ever be happy with their broadcast crew and I'm fine with that.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ackerman is whatever. Hollins was painfully bad the last 3 years, but hasn't been as bad this year. I still prefer the opposing team's broadcast and seek that out when using League Pass.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Craig is just OK. Hollins is terrible, in my opinion. I think they should replace Hollins with Mario Elie, if he'd do it..
    Like others here, I miss what we've lost.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Craig is good and Hollins is getting better. I have been watching other broadcasts Philly, Celtics, Det, etc, and we really do have a good team. Some of these other broadcasts are surprisingly boring. shockingly boring. I can't believe how boring the philly and celtics broadcasts are.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

"Oh, Mother!" is underrated, too.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jim Foley !!

DD

BMoney likes this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I thought his obsession with the Miami alien thing was pretty funny.

14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I feel the same. I actually really like Craig Ackerman. I've also tried watching a lot of other teams broadcasts and don't like it as much most of the time. I think our broadcaster are a lot more fair than most, although Hollins is a pretty bad homer at times. I'm sure he's doing it on purpose but that kinda gets on my nerves when they show a replay of the rockets committing a clear foul and he's all like "that's disgraceful just play on that should be no call" like come on dude. But Craig is super fair. I don't think anyone is worse than the warriors but there's probably 10+ broadcast teams that will have you thinking your team is getting screwed on calls 100% of the games and I find that really really irritating. I'm thankful that our team never does that. It's rare that I come out of a game thinking we got robbed by the refs and even if I do feel that way it's not because Ackerman and Hollins are gaslighting me.

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Completely agree. He sounds too whiney.

16. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I guess Miami Heat guy is a very decent announcer. Much better than Craig. But if you watch a Bulls game, you wil certainly appreciate Ackerman. Bulls commentator are something else, might be good pre-school children but not for anyone older than 13. The most frequent comment they do is: "bang, bang".

My baby shot me down, bang,bang, .
    I think one of them has 5 years old brain capacity, the other 6.

Hollins and his irrelevant memories. He is not as annoying because team is winning more and we have a capacity to ignore him as long as we don't see him. He really needs an Istanbul hairplant.

Both needs professional help for tie selection. Very very very ugly ties.

harold bingo likes this.
  17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I’m always an Ackerman apologist. He is a direct link to the championship years and he was personally mentored by Gene Peterson himself.

I’m of the opinion that he may have been a better fit as a radio personality, but I can’t complain about him taking over the tv side and I celebrate his success and promotion within the organization.

and he’s given us the best line in 20 years-
    “The Lakers have pooped their big boy pants!”

Zen Tabak and harold bingo like this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm fine with a homer broadcast, but I can't deal with the monotone nature of some of these other broadcast teams. Dallas, SA and Warriors have homer broadcasts, but they aren't boring. Hollins may not be great, but I appreciate Ryan and Craig being engaged and showing a little emotion when they are watching.

harold bingo likes this.
  19. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I think both are solid. I thought Hollins was really bad when he first started but... it was when he first started. Literally, not many are good when they first start at anything. I think he's gotten better. I sometimes listen to other team's local broadcasters. Ours isn't that bad guys

20. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Akerman is fine. Hollins is not good and because he doesn't have a history with the team his try hard homerism comes off as fake and forced.