1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it’s time to move along from Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCRocket, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Can’t finish, can’t shoot efficiently. His play-making has gotten better, but he’s just not dynamic enough to justify the investment we’ve made mid-way into year 3. I’ve been concerned about him going back to last year. I don’t think he’s got the mental toughness u need. Stone won’t move on because his ego is too massive and can’t admit he got the pick wrong. But yeah, our GM built the team around KPJ and Jalen…and he’s still employed. Yuck.

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The Rockets are not going to take a significant step forward until he's off the roster.

What other team (qualifier: good team) has a significantly better player offensively on the floor, and a much lesser player continuously looks straight at them, tells them to take a hike as they call for the ball, demand they come set a pick for him, not utilise the pick at all correctly, then go lose the ball either with a turnover or horrible shot attempt. Repeatedly. Multiple times nearly every single game.

I gave too much credit to Jalen thinking he'd acknowledge what a horrible decision he made to go away from Sengun feasting in OT and call his own number and give all the momentum to the Bulls. He's too low IQ to recognise that and did it repeatedly tonight.

I guess can no longer complain - he's finally showing SOME consistency - just not what we want. The Jalen Green experience: play one decent half of basketball, be non-existent at best to downright terrible for the other half.

3. Denovo

Denovo Member

Imagine how good this team would be if Green was playing as well as his peers.

Ant and Maxey for example.

Ant Year 3 - PPG 24.6 | FG 45.9% | 3P 36.9% | FT 75.6% | 56.4 TS%

Maxey Year 3 - PPG 20.3 | FG 48.1% | 3P 43.4% | FT 84.5% | TS 60.5%

Green Year 3 - PPG 17.3 | FG 40.3 | 3P 34.6% | FT 79.5% | TS 53.2%

Source: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenja05/splits/2024

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Thought he was going to have a good night after that first half--then he turns in one of the worst halves of basketball I've seen from him. Just chucking and chucking, nothing going in, missing defensive assignments, everything. Ends up 9 for 25 from the field and 2 for 9 from three (36%/22.2%). Nearly shot us out of the second half, thank god Alpi and Fred were there to save us.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Or even if he could just do as well as Jalen Suggs

Suggs year 3 - 13.7 PPG, 18 Per 36, 40.3% 3 point %, 59.4% TS%

6. MystikArkitect

This team is literally a passable SG away from being a playoff team.

7. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Will he balance out and get hot after the all star break and raise those averages?

8. dmoneybangbang

LOL. No.

MadMax likes this.
  9. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

I don’t understand what Green did to get all these fanboys. He’s not good and hasn’t been good. I guess the people that watch highlight reels instead of actual games are the ones backing him. That’s all I can think of

10. dmoneybangbang

What investment? The normal investment teams make in high draft picks? LOL.

The team overperforming expectations has made a lot of you just irrational.

LOL..... You always know you have no viable argument when it's because "person x has a massive ego".

KPJ is gone. The GM has given Ime full reign of the roster and he will bench anyone who isn't performing up to his standards.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I just don’t like that we blew the highest pick since Yao. I’m not saying people can’t make mistakes but we got the pick wrong and we certainly didn’t develop Jalen the right way. It’s been a straight up failure at every level. Blowing a #2 pick really hurts.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

LOL..... that's the best retort you can offer?

Blew the pick.... Jalen Green will never be passable..... He will never develop..... Just a big yawn from me.

13. Rokman

Rokman Member

@Hemingway - Everyone posting above trolling?

14. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Shared interests I guess, i. e. fingernails.

Denovo, clutchdabear and Jontro like this.
  15. MystikArkitect

We're a play-in team with scrambled eggs at SG.

16. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

We are probably a play in team right now. If we make a trade with Green and add a league average SG + decent back up big, maybe we are first round fodder at best. Is it worth throwing all the resources we've spent picking and developing Jalen just so we get beaten in the first round of the playoffs?

I don't rate Green but I'd rather bank on the 20% chance he figures things out than be content with being mediocre team.

Easy likes this.
  17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Huh? We may already be a playoff team even with him. Not sure why you're laughing at the idea.

Joe Rocket, Denovo and clutchdabear like this.
  18. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He was the #2 overall pick. Unless someone follows AAU or is a Philippines basketball fan I highly doubt they knew who he was before Houston drafted him.

Reality is he's not good. He hasn't made any progress. I do think KPJ and Silas contributed but the experiment is over.

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Ha I know right.

It was such a strange response.

Currently right on the cusp, and would have at least a couple more Ws already than they already do if they had a reliable - not even all star level - just a reliable SG.

Denovo, clutchdabear and GOATuve like this.
  20. invocux

invocux Member

Never draft a guy whose mixtape only consists of dunks. When listing their strengths if the first thing they mention is his 'athleticism', 'verticality', 'explosiveness', 'first step', how 'natural scorer' he is avoid that guy at all cost. I don't follow college bb or g-league i don't have time for that. When i read his scouting reports i sensed that this dude was the one we should've avoided. Then watched his highlights and yea he was definitely not that guy.

His strength is his speed and ability to go to the ft line. Even the sg's that are known to be very aggressive attacking to the rim goes to the FT line 3-4 times at max. Bradley Beal was averaging 7 pts from ft line in his prime. So your biggest strength will give us only 5-6 points a game. That's nothing if you can't shoot. A shooting guard's biggest strength CAN NOT be his ability to go to the ft line i refuse to acknowledge that. I say i refuse to acknowledge it because that's the thing keeps being brought up when it comes to Jalen. I do not give a **** about a sg's speed if he can't shoot. Beal was going to the FT line a lot but he could shoot as well. Shooting first and must then the rest. His contribution from the ft line is only 3.6 pts a game. That's like 1 three point. Bb isn't a spring running or high jump event your pace or verticality will not get you the W. Even if you are fast you have to be able to accelerate, deaccelerate, change direction without losing your balance, losing the ball. He doesn't have the handles or athleticism for that. It's honestly pointless at this point he's athletic but one dimensionally athletic. He has one pace he can't stop and change his direction. He needs to go.

Rokman, HardenReturns and Jontro like this.