1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. raining threes

Seems like we were saying the same things about OSU QB's and Stroud last year.

A_3PO and Verbal Christ like this.
  2. Qan

Qan Member

A lot of GMs are going to get fired because of Stroud. Stroud is an exception and a generational QB, not the norm.

Porkasaurus85 and raining threes like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know we've had a lot of injuries on our offensive line, and it's hard to evaluate what those hurt players would have done, but I still think it's our biggest weakness. Anderson and Greenard are both great at edge. I wouldn't focus on edge players, and would resign 26 yr old Greenard as a priority on defense. We should focus more on linebackers on defense.

2023 NFL pass rush, run stop, blocking win rate rankings
    Jan 9, 2024, 08:49 AM ET

EDGE Pass Rush Win Rate Top 20 Rankings
    Will Anderson #3
    Jonathan Greenard #6

DT Pass Rush Win Rate Top 20 Rankings

Chris Jones #2
    Sheldon Rankings #7
    Maliek Collins #12

OT Pass Block Win Rate Top 20 Rankings
    Laremy Tunsil #14

IOL Pass Block Win Rate Top 20 Rankings
    (None)

EDGE Run Stop Win Rate Top 10 Rankings
    Will Anderson #2

DT Run Stop Win Rate Top 10 Rankings
    (None)

OT Run Block Win Rate Top 10 Rankings
    (None)

IOL Run Block Win Rate Top 10 Rankings
    (None)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-blocking-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams

#983 deb4rockets, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

Bo NIx has MItchell Trubisky written all over him.

War Machine likes this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Smart choice for him

War Machine and raining threes like this.
  7. Qan

Qan Member

Surprising, but makes sense. Smart. Some top teams hoping to draft him later is disappointed.

8. conquistador#11

Like the past 2 drafts, this one is also filled with talent all over. If Cooper Dejean is off the board , I'd be tempted to call the compadres in New England and let them have my first rounder for their 34th pick and 103rd pick.
    I don't think BDN will be trading up this draft, instead he will be trading down. He still loves trading.

34th pick via NE: Best player available. You choose.

55th pick: Either Safety, Bullock or Bullard. Those are the two that can play in Meco's defense and can willingly play Nickel pewty good. They will be Ward's understudy for a year or until Ward gets hurt.

3rd round: Edgerrin Cooper LB, A&M. You were an Aggie now You're a Texan!

4th round via NE: Jermain Burton, ALAAABAMA! Truly stretches the field with nice route running.

Our 4th pick: Will Shipley. You know why. J/k He also makes fast reads and can catch.

Our other 4th Round pick: Johnny Wilson, his Head coach said he can play TE. I want to try out his comments.

5th round: Luke McCraffey

I'm sticking to this one until the combine.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Troy Franklin and Tez Johnson had something to do with that .

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am weathering this bump with Brian Thomas that has seen him go from a guy the Texans could trade back and select to a guy who is unlikely to be there when they pick at Cleveland's pick. He is still my guy if he's there in the first round. I just think that Nico, Tank and Thomas would be an unreal trio for Stroud to have at his disposal. If Thomas was gone I'd probably look hard at AD Mitchell for the same reasons but I am coming around to different position groups (especially if Tez Walker would likely be there in the second).

1st - Brian Thomas: I see AJ Green potential in Thomas. Who is your top corner going to cover (Nico, Tank or Thomas?)?
    2nd - TVondre Sweat: Understudy to Rankin who would be groomed to be a run stopper with pass rush upside
    3rd - Kiran Amegadjie: Another option at LG who could be groomed to eventually replace Tunsil down the road
    4a - Cade Stover: TE with a history with Stroud
    4b - Christian Jones: OT depth
    7a - Jaylen Wright: 6'/210 RB with 4.3 speed who played in a zone scheme in the SEC
    7b - Best Height/Weight/Speed guy: special teamer or developmental prospect
    7c - Best Height/Weight/Speed guy: special teamer or developmental prospect

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  11. War Machine

War Machine Member

Fair point, but Nix doesn't have nearly the talent nor the anticipation on his throws that Stroud has. Bo Nix was largely considered a massive bust at Auburn for 4 straight years after being a big time 5-Star recruit out of high school. He transfers to a pass-happy offense at Oregon at 22 years old and suddenly has a great season. Idk, I just don't buy it personally, particularly when his tape is showing that he doesn't throw with particularly good anticipation or accuracy on his deep throws. So many of his deep-to-intermediate passes this year were inaccurate or simply under-thrown and his WR's had to make great plays to bail him out.

What he does have going for him is that he's a good athlete for the position and he's already 24 so he'll be more ready to play right away, as well as the fact that he genuinely seems like a good kid, but he doesn't have a cannon for an arm, and he doesn't seem to progress past his 2nd read very often, which is typical of Oregon QB's. It's the same reason Mariota failed in the NFL, because they want to tuck and run as soon as their first 2 reads aren't open.

I could very well be wrong, time will tell. If he goes to a team like Minnesota that already has 2 great WR's in Justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison or Atlanta who has weapons all over the offense like Drake London, Kyle Pitts, and Bijan Robinson, then maybe he has some success early and proves me wrong. But I personally wouldn't want to be the GM to pull the trigger on him based on all the tape that I've watched.

raining threes likes this.
  12. War Machine

War Machine Member

He's definitely a better athlete than Trubisky, and he seems to have higher character than him too which matters as a leader, but I still wouldn't want to be the team to draft him for the reasons stated above.

13. War Machine

War Machine Member

I've been saying we should trade down in this draft too if the opportunity presents itself. There's really good depth in this draft at OL, WR, CB, and DT. We could potentially acquire an extra 3rd Rounder from someone if we give them our First Rounder for their 2nd a 3rd. Teams like Green Bay or Detroit that have an extra 3rd Round Pick this year could be good trade partners.

As for your mock, I don't see Edgerrin Cooper falling to the 3rd Round. Think he definitely goes 2nd Round, he's an impressive athlete for the position and could very well end up being the first LB taken, even ahead of Trotter. But we definitely need to draft a starting LG at some point. That would push Juice Scruggs back inside to C, which is his more natural position, and would help solidify our O-Line as whole imo.

conquistador#11 and Sooty like this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I don't see the comparison.

Stroud was 20, Nix is 4 years older.

Stroud had great anticipation and accuracy, Nix does not.

Both played with good WRs I guess.

Stroud as a prospect was way better than Nix is as a prospect.

What couldn't we predict from Stroud was the "it" factor. Leadership, clutch, composure, etc.

War Machine likes this.
  15. raining threes

I was saying that OSU/Oregon have the same reputation for not being able to develop QB's.

OSU has/had much better WR's.

I'm not saying Nix is as good as Stroud, but he is a very accurate passer.

A_3PO likes this.
  16. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weren’t most of his passes of the short shovel variety?

17. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I would like to see us make OL a priority. Our run game stinks and we can't have our generational player get anymore gnarly concussions.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A good percentage, yes, but he also threw mid-range and long passes. Having two studs on the outside made his job very easy sometimes.

I love the guy but the NFL will be a struggle for him.

raining threes and crose like this.
  19. conquistador#11

Patterson was rated one of the best centers, not just rookie, by various analytics formats before injury. He is what you want in the zone scheme. Juice will continue to develop at the guard. He has been really good there. Fant will get a new deal somewhere else, but they like Heck just as much. Both Greens will be back for depth and Jones as the swing man. The makings for a good line are here just need the continuity /health. Which is why I think they won't go OL in the first 4 rounds. Can't forget about Howard at his natural position.

20. raining threes

Then don't let him play on that field in New Jersey next year.

conquistador#11 likes this.