1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it’s time to move along from Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCRocket, Jan 10, 2024.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Ime has been playing Cam at the 3 most of the time with either Jalen or Holiday as the 2. This kinda makes sense because Cam doesn't run the offense or even attempt to. Cam is better when he's focused on scoring

Corrosion likes this.
  2. invocux

invocux Member

But he starts and hurts the team on both ends. Jalen isn't an Ime player i don't think he particularly likes Clarkson archetype. Honestly why do people think that he will care about his development? 1) He's not a developmental coach he is a win now coach 2) Green has too many holes in his game to ever be Ime player. Ime strikes me as a hc who will help you on the way not a guy who is going to carry you on his back, spending time with you like a father analyse your game, fix your game give you infinite amount of chances.

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously. Hit up LeBron for whatever “supplements” he takes.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I’ll trust Udoka. If he concludes it’s time to bench him, then I’ll support it.

At some point they will decide enough is enough but I am personally not there yet.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This should not even be a Jalen Green topic but other players that lost the game.

JOF actually make it worse than it is......trying to make it all about Jalen Green and his 8 assists.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

In my very humble opinion…his value isn’t going to increase. If you can trade him now for something more valuable than what you can trade him for after Cam eats his minutes, you should. Seems very clear to me the writing is on the wall. His value won’t improve if that’s the case. Of course I could be wrong….but it seems really clear to me at this point.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If Jalen bulks up a little and actually gets called for fouls that every other finesse guard does he'd look A LOT better.

I mean if he got Kyrie or Curry calls when driving to the lane he'd be a dominant dude easily giving you 25 a night.

Hopefully the refs decide to actually call him like they do other finesse guards.

HD729 and gfab-babyboi like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are most likely going to trade for a bench scorer or big man.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

that is exactly what I would say on the positive side. But he’s gotta improve on the essentials too, shooting and scoring at the rim. I don’t think he can start on a winning team until he figures out one of the two.

I don’t get the trade though. Actually the ideal scenario for the rockets would be to resign him as a bench player and he makes the improvements afterwords. And if he doesn’t he would be okay off the bench.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Green is getting more minutes simply because Tari got hurt. He minutes was really dwindling before that.

Until Tari and Brooks comes back we are just going to run with him.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

And it is really time to move from Tate and landale.

evo8lover and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Uh no trade him for picks or something dont let him walk thats crazy.

13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Rondo won a chip. Right now all he needs to do is not shoot so much pass and attack the basket.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Just look across the court at Chicago with Coby White. He’s 23yo and breaking out in his fifth season. Chicago could have cut bait on him too.

These things take time. Cam Whitmore is looking like hot stuff right now, but he’s also got that rookie QB mojo where no teams have had the chance to scout him yet. His court vision and defensive awareness are where Jalen Green’s were in his rookie season. The best part about him, though, is that we don’t have make a decision about him in his rookie year.

I am not saying Green for sure will cap out at a ceiling higher than Whitmore’s, but I am saying that we should continue to let his career trajectory play out. What he’s shown this year is huge growth in all the weakest parts of his game. That kind of improvement takes a tremendous investment of playing time, and I am against bailing on it right when we’re closer than ever to reaping its rewards. Particularly with the athletic traits that he’s still flashing on a routine basis. What we’re seeing now is poor play resulting from a loss in confidence and uncertainty about how to fit into a new system and rotation, but clearly he has a good work ethic. If he doesn’t pan out, we have to make sure we are 100% sure he is a bust before moving on. There’s so little to gain in trading him now; your primary loss would be in all the playing time you are giving to him as opposed to other prospects.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It might sound crazy but if it is picks the Rockets cannot develop it is just a consolation prize.....due to having no real playing time.

Might as well avoid having the next Garuba, TyTy, JC etc.....

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

At the very least you dont let go of the money on the books so you have to trade him.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe there is a way to shed his contract and generate a trade exception.....

Corrosion likes this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Trade him, don’t trade him, can kind of see the argument for both sides and couldn’t care less which way we go at this point. Jalen is a sunk cost, my expectations have continually been lowered and they were never high to begin with, thought that picking him over Mobley was a franchise ruining decision. Thankfully that’s not the case, now that we have hit on other prospects after him, which is why how he ends up now is really none of my concern. That said, for those saying don’t trade him because his value is low, you have to remember that a sucker is born every day. I guarantee you there’s another Gilbert Arenas or Rafael Stone out there thinking Jalen is just in a bad spot, that his team is holding him back, if he just had more shots then he would dominate. Nba teams are forever tantalized by potential, even if it never materializes, so I do think he still has trade value. But if you wait until you are SURE he isn’t it, then everyone else will be sure as well.

If Sengun wasn’t on this team, I would say we HAVE to see it through with Jalen, even if it’s only a 10% chance he can become a star that might be the best chance we have. But with Sengun already being a star, that actually gives the Rockets the luxury and flexibility to choose what to do with Jalen. We can bet on that 10% and if it hits we win the jackpot with two stars. Or we cash him in for some solid players and build around the star we already have. Either way I’m good with.

Hive5, sydmill, BamBam and 3 others like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Each year Coby has improved his shooting efficiency, from 50 TS% his rookie year to 56 TS% by his 3rd year

Jalen as of this point has regressed in shooting efficiency in both his 2nd and 3rd seasons (.547 - .538 - .532)

20. Melik

Melik Member

His athleticism and strength are not yet in direct proportion to each other. He's not strong enough.