1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. vince

vince Member

Carolina panthers put themselves in quite the pickle of a situation. Young players excelled picking apart college players, which is quite an accomplishment; but historically speaking, sub 5’10” QB’s don’t have the intangibles to beat elite NFL players.

I think the big difference from Elite College programs and NFL competition is speed. Every College department will have prototypical size and conditioning for the majority of the players on the team. But honesty, only 1.6 percent of college player will ever make it to an NFL roster. The big difference is elite speed and natural talent.

Young is such a breathe of fear air, you can’t help but want to root for him. But the NFL meat grinder is all even- Steven, and it chews up top prospects and non-drafted invitees alike. Those that refuse to succumb to the NFL toil, will meet the challenge head on and have an increased ability to succeed.

#2161 vince, Jan 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, red flags for me is if my 5'11"-ish quarterback is forced to stay in a pocket behind behemoth 6'8" Offensive and Defensive lineman.....usually the results are not going to be good in the NFL.

When scoot-boogie out of the pocket in order to see the field, it usually results in cutting off half the field since the cardinal rule as quarterback is don't throw across the field.

In college where teams usually have maybe one NFL defender you can get away with it......but in the NFL.....all the defenders are NFL quality for the most part. Ends in interceptions.

I prefer the non running QB that can run if need be.

vince likes this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I define a running QB as one who uses design running plays over 10% of the time, usually near the goal line. C J's runs are more of what I call Scrambles to buy time to get an open receiver or run out of bounds to avoid a sack.

Fran Tarkington and Archie Manning were scramblers.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Tebow comes to my mind as more running back than quarterback.

But mostly the undersized quarterbacks like Murray, Manziel, Baker Mayfield need to get out of the forest (pocket) to see the field.

I'd rather have 6'3" or taller that can control the pocket like Tom Brady, Joe Montana that can run when need be. CJ Stroud fits that mold to me.

CJ can make all the throws with touch or gun it.
    Unlike Doug Williams or Jeff George who only gunned it Both of which thought their rifle arms
    could brake the cardinal rule of throwing across field.....found out even they didn't have enough arm to make a living out of that successfully.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Imagine what a Kyle Shanahan could do with Bryce Young. It is all about the offensive scheme you put a QB in sometimes. A West Coast offense would be GREAT for Bryce Young.

Panthers need to hire a coach (offensive or defensive) who will have an OC that runs a version of the WCO.

6. havoc1

havoc1 Member

I’m pretty sure Frank Reich runs a version of the West Coast Offense and that didn’t work out too well for Young.

I actually think Bryce is best when he is playing out of structure, and my understanding of the WCO is that it is timing based. I don’t know what type of offense would fit him but I’m not sure if he is cut out for the WCO.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I still think he would make a good backup for CJ. Nothing against Mills, but he has accuracy issues.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Carolina's o-line is below average and their receiving core is just plain pathetic. Without absolving Bryce, some of their fans argue even CJ wouldn't succeed there.

havoc1 likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sometimes.

Sometimes the scheme makes the player, sometimes the players make the scheme.

As @vince said earlier, the Panthers have put themselves in a bit of a pickle.
    _____
    You don't trade so much for someone that isn't ideal or close to a being sure thing.

As in a video I posted earlier in this thread: Panthers coaching and scouting wanted
    C.J. Stroud but were overruled by the owner. Owner thought he knew better.
    Saw Young scrambling at Alabama and working magic just like Johnny Manziel
    did at Texas A & M.

NFL is a different animal than college or back then when Fran Tarkenton
    scrambled for his life each play.

But yes, sometimes just designed roll outs or moving pockets can help.
    Not all quarterbacks can be patient dinking a driving 5 yards each play
    all the way up the field all game long like Tom Brady. Some think they
    are home run hitters. Wanting to swing for the fences each play.

Tom Brady laid out the offense in Tampa Bay....has it been great for
    Baker Mayfield? Yes

Can he maintain dink and drive for long stretches vs the best defenses in the playoffs?
    Not sure

#2169 ApacheWarrior, Jan 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    vince likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

PFF Grades for Rookie QB's - 1. C.J. Stroud - 81.1, 2. Aidan O'Connell - 65.6, 3. Levis - 63.3 ... 8. Bryce Young - 56.0, 9. Anthony Richardson - 52.2

1. C.J. Stroud – 81.1 (14 games, 473 attempts)
    2. Aidan O’Connell – 65.6 (10 games, 312 attempts)
    3. Will Levis – 63.3 (9 games, 254 attempts)
    4. Tommy DeVito – 61.9 (8 games, 176 attempts)
    5. Jaren Hall – 60.3 (3 games, 20 attempts)
    6. Tyson Bagent – 57.4 (5 games, 143 attempts)
    7. Sean Clifford – 56.5 (1 games, 1 attempts)
    8. Bryce Young – 56.0 (15 games, 509 attempts)
    9. Anthony Richardson – 52.2 (4 games, 84 attempts)
    10. Dorian Thompson-Robinson – 49.3 (6 games, 112 attempts)
    11. Clayton Tune – 31.4 (2 games, 21 attempts)

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Buck Turgidson

Bryce Young as Steve Young...

I want to see it.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lance Z was always trying to talk **** about cj. About how he partied too much and had the low test scores.

He was great in college and balled out against georgia. MJ gambled till 2 in the morning, but he balled out on game day.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's pray on this.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Meanwhile at Casa De Tepper this morning.

[​IMG]

IBTL and Blatz like this.
  16. Yordan The Great

More like a half sandwich.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Funny.

This keeps getting brought up. It's fun to clown on people, I get it.

There was a time in this forum when there were hardly any posts being made. The team flat out sucked. It had no direction. The decisions being made were some of the worst in recent sports history. That was when that post was made. I enjoy this forum more than most, and I enjoy the Texans more than most. I always enjoy new threads and new content in the forum, and at times, I've probably started one too many threads to try and keep this forum fresh. Guilty.

But this thread wasn't **technically** about Bryce Young, per se. Yes, I wanted Bryce Young. Yes, he's in the title. Yes, he was widely considered the can't miss prospect in the draft, and yes, I fell victim to that. As did many other posters.

But this thread was mostly about those true "half sandwiches" that wanted us to tank another year for Caleb Williams. Third sentence in the second paragraph. Let's not forget that. That was a less-than-nominal amount of posters here that wanted to do that. That's what this thread was in response to. And this thread, in fact, proves what an idiotic idea that is.

I have been playing along for long enough. I'm extremely glad we got CJ and not Bryce. I was wrong, I admit it. But also, let's not forget what an idiotic idea it was to tank one more year for someone like a Caleb Williams.

18. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The ideal offense for him is a version of Kubiak's offense which featured a lot of roll outs and bootlegs and play action.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I thought that both CJ and Bryce Young would both be above average NFL QBs, before the draft. I was against paying the price to trade up to get Bryce; it was just too expensive.

I also thought that both CJ and Bryce would not hit their full stride until the end of their second pro year, if not third. CJ hit his stride his first year, so I was wrong about that. Cj might even get better over the next few seasons and that would not suck.

20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong thread

#2180 panamamyers, Jan 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2024