1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Amen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by corrado, Jan 4, 2024.

1. corrado

corrado Member

or as fast as any interesting target appears on the market. Nothing against Amen, he may be great, he may be bust, too early to tell. But I think it is pretty clear that he is not the type of lead guard we need in Senhub centric offense.

I can't be sure but drafting Amen only made sense to me if front office was planning to move away from Alpi and role with Brook as a center. That, fortunately, did not happen but it left Amen in a place where, at least for me, it is hard to imagine he will be able to show his full potential. His perceived strengths, high BB IQ, athleticism, running a break are negated by Alpi's dominating presence (and Ime's halfcourt only offense), while his weaknesses are on full display.

I really do not think Alpi and Amen will ever be an ideal pairing and considering Alpi's emergence and the fact that he is just a half a year older the choice who to keep is pretty clear. Let's get ahead this time and try to capitalize on an asset before law of diminishing returns kicks in for good.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OP, you will have to grasp that the generic fan starts thread about moving.....

The Rockets are just sitting calmly.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's so predictable this idiotic thread about Amen was started by a paranoid Sengun-only fan who feels Amen can't play with Sengun and 90% of the OP is Alpi, Alpi. Alpi, Alpi.

4. corrado

corrado Member

Yeah 90% of this post is about Sengun cause he is the one that Amen does not fit with. I am not a Sengun only fan nor paranoid about him. But if front office is sold on Sengun being our main building block, they should look to trade pieces that do not fit with him when they value is still high. Udoka's mandate is to win not develop players, so unless Amen becomes a decent shooter (and I doubt that), I think he will struggle to get a lot of playing time, which in the end might ruin his trade value.

5. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Terrible thread. The kid has played 15 games and a total of 207 NBA minutes.

Amen is a PG who is having to play as SG since the offense goes through Sengun. Once Amen is trusted to run the offense (2nd team) on his own, he impact to the game will dramatically improve. This kid has a good head on his shoulder and will be in the league for a long time...can't give up on him.

jcmoon, plegus, Mathloom and 4 others like this.
  6. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Kid hasn’t event played half a season not even 20 games. Holy smokes dude, in perspective you start a new job you’ve had experience in the field you work in, however the new company who hired you does things a little different and after 15 days you hear your co workers he doesn’t fit in, he’s not picking it up, etc. how would that make you feel? Look it at that way

plegus likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Amen not being an instant starter allows you more time - 20% from deep wont cut it on this team thats for sure. Do the ROX really need a "pure" PG next to Sengun long term?

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll play along.

Why do you think Amen fits better with Brooke Lopez?

Is Amen struggling for playing time now?

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This team needs more playmakers now and especially for the future. Amen has the most high end upside as a playmaker and has barely gotten started in his career.

OremLK, BaselineFade and roslolian like this.
  10. corrado

corrado Member

Brooke fits well with Giannis - he is a floor spacer and does not need the ball. Obviously Amen is no Giannis, but his game might develop in that direction if we are lucky.

Right now Amen is playing, but I think it has more to do with Dillon and Tari injuries than anything. When they get back he will still get time, but my intuition is not much of it will be together with Sengun.

And generally I am not suggesting dumping Amen, not am I implying he is bad, I just do not think he fits what the Rockets are building and therefore should be used as our main trade chip, as a lot of folks around the league still believes in him.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You thought you were clever by parodying another thread, but decided to ignore that its season 1 vs season 3.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

nah i enjoy watching amen play.

future all-nba defensive team i'm calling it now.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not every player has to 100% fit with Sengun, Sengun isn't playing on the court 48 mins a night.

Right now Amen is the backup pg and plays when Alpi sits down so not sure what the complaint is.

jcmoon likes this.
  14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Nah. His handles seems to be getting less loose and more controlled. He was taking ppl off the dribble the last two games and not that 3rd string scrubs. He gets to the rim with ease. Now finishing in traffic is something he needs to improve

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm not opposed to trading anyone (including Alpi) depending on the return! There I said it....:cool:

Having said that, at this point, I'm not inclined to trade Amen! I, like @Nook, feel that that this kid has tremendous upside, and IF, IF, IF he ever develops a mere plebeians jump shot, he will be a force to be reckoned with! I understand OP's desire to maximize that pick. Trading POTENTIAL for an established, proven player is a tricky conundrum that can make you look foolish and can set you back years if it doesn't work out in your favor.

Example: Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson :D
    On December 19, 1986, Andersen re-signed with the Astros as a free agent. In 1987 Andersen arguably had his best season in the majors up to that point. He finished with a record of 9–5, a 3.45 ERA, 94 strikeouts, and 1012⁄3 innings pitched in 67 games. He set career highs in wins, innings pitched and strikeouts. In 1989, Andersen recorded a career-low 1.54 ERA in 60 relief appearances.

On August 30, 1990, Andersen was traded to the Boston Red Sox for minor league prospect Jeff Bagwell. He made 15 relief appearances for the Red Sox in September, recording one save and a 1.23 ERA. The trade is often regarded as one of the most lopsided trades in baseball history; Andersen spent one month with the Red Sox before becoming a free agent, while Bagwell went on to spend 15 seasons with the Astros and was later inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in 2017.

Go Rockets!!!

Mathloom and napalm06 like this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL. Funny thread.

Seriously though, I see Amen as being potentially a positionless player. He's got the size to bulk up and be a 3/4 potentially if that's where he finds his niche. The only thing we know now is that he's not a naturally gifted shooter, seems to be smart where he can handle schemes, can create a little bit, handle a little bit, potential to be a versatile defender, and naturally crafty finishing around the rim.

Drafted where he was, I think it's fine to just let him develop for his first three seasons. Not sure what kind of player he's going to come back as after the next two Summers. He could end up being Penny Hardaway. He could also end up being more of a Shawn Marion type. Who knows.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree it's beneficial to have shooters around Sengun, but I don't agree that it's time to give up on Amen. I also think Sengun's shooting has been improving noticeably and I believe it's only a matter of time before his 3 is consistent. If he becomes a big that can spread the floor, Amen's shooting becomes at least slightly less important.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Guess what, the thread starter's join date is the same month when Sengun was born. Can't be coincidence, right? Someone knew 21 years ago that this baby would be a Rocket.

[​IMG]

corrado likes this.
  19. Soneca

Soneca Member

I just clicked on this thread because I thought it was a joke. Being a serious one makes it a joke in another sense, though.

We're not winning a championship this year or the next. There's no reason whatsoever for the FO to do win-now moves in detriment to real potential. I get it if they move Jalen, he infuriates me every time he tries to get to the rim and in pushed around like a feather. It's his 3rd season FFS.

But trading a rookie? C'mom, let's try not to aim to appear smart while looking foolish posting nonsense like that.

20. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

A Sengun only fan who has a Clutchfans join date from before Sengun was BORN?!?!?

Damn, that's impressive.

I do agree this thread is bad though. However, the reasoning OP gives is why I didn't want to draft Amen at 4 -- however, the person I did want to draft at 4 was Cam Whitmore, and we got him anyway, so I can NOT be mad, haha.