1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] James Harden's Los Angeles Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol please explain how Jabari is being given all this opportunity to become a star…he is being used as and treated as a role player

literally nothing about Jalen’s minutes, shots, etc would change with Harden here

you’re just saying stuff based off nothing

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I would say nothing about Hardens stop in Philly did anything to hinder Maxey from becoming the best he can be. Maxey has even outright credited him for helping him grow.

CC certainly became a big worthy of a pretty nice contract playing with Harden.

The team scenarios where he has needed to take a step back and do more creating, he has. I just don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion that if he came here that he’d be trying to score 30 a game again. I think he’d play a role almost identical to what FVV is doing but maybe doing it a little better(more efficiently).

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The proof that they're given opportunities is that we've seen Jabari and Jalen screw up in opportunities that are either too big for them at the moment or too big for them, period. Simply put, we wouldn't have the patience with them if Harden was here to give them different opportunities that are better for them at the moment but not in the long run.

4. JumpMan

Maxey would not be the player he is now with Harden still in Philadelphia. But that is the type of player we would compare to the young Rockets. Not a player like Capela, who doesn't have offensive skills. Even taking a step back and creating more would hinder the development of players we hope can one day create for themselves and others.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

But what is currently fact is that FVV has the ball more, shoots more and assists more for Houston than Harden does for the Clippers.

So it’s just a belief by you that if Harden were here that he would be doing those things to such a higher degree more than what FVV is already doing that it would make a difference in our young guy’s development? FVV is near the top of the league in time of possession and assists already.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not Harden's job to develop players his job is to play the best way he can which is by being the system. In terms of development playing with Harden helps a young player develop by teaching him how to play off ball and play within a system. It's a big reason why Maxey is playing well with Embiid now it's cuz he learned how to play off ball. OTH guys like Harden and Cp3 only know how to play with the ball in their hands, that's why the two of them feuded and also why their offense under MDA was always your turn, my turn.

If Harden were here his max deal would cost 50-60M a year which is still higher than FVV's 40M a year. In that scenario we wouldnt have Jeff Green so the Rox would be a lot worse, Green was signed last minute since we still had money after the failed Brook Lopez signing. I also don't know if Harden will bring back all the entitlement stuff he used to do, Ime wouldn't stand for crap like being 15 min late to film reviews and all the partying and coming to games drunk AF.

#826 roslolian, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    Rocket River and JumpMan like this.
  7. JumpMan

First of all, I disagree completely with just looking at numbers when comparing players, but even then...

VanVleet has the ball more because he plays more. On a per 36 basis, Harden assists more. And Harden's usage rate is higher. VanVleet does shoot more this season. But none of that matters because Harden is in a completely different situation with the Clippers.

Yes, it is my belief that Harden would hinder the development of a young team because he would do more than he would on a veteran team with 2 all-star level players (1 on which plays at an MVP level when healthy).

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Im not “just looking at numbers”. Just using them to point out some facts.

Respect your opinion but my counter would be that Fred is our lead playmaker and essentially tied for 2nd scoring option. There aren’t many players with the ball in their hands more than Fred in the entire league. In the “clutch” he’s 2nd on the team in scoring, free throws and 1st in assists. We already rely very heavily on Fred in the areas of opportunity that you worry Harden would be taking from our youngsters.

If your worry is that Harden would be hindering growth by limiting opportunities for our youngsters than how could you not have the same gripe with Fred?

My problem with Harden coming back here was always on defense. Not that Fred is anything special there I just think he gives the effort that young guys need to see. Offense, I think Harden would be playing the FVV role almost exactly in volume, just better in efficiency.

9. JumpMan

Essentially, you think Harden and VanVleet are playing more or less the same this season and Harden would play more or less the same on the Rockets and you use numbers to back up your points. Well, I don't agree with either of those takes. I think Harden comes across his numbers in a vastly different way in a vastly different system with vastly different teammates. I think Harden would do a lot more with these teammates and the offense would revolve around him. It would be very frustrating for Harden to play exactly the same way as VanVleet, watch Jalen and Jabari go through their growing pains, and give Sengun the same opportunities as he has now.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yes I do think the role would be very similar. Primary playmaker, 2B scorer. Ball in his hands about the same. Setting up teammates at a pretty similar rate. Shooting at a similar volume. Leaving his young teammates with a similar level of opportunity to develop.

The numbers illustrate that FVV already takes up a very large chunk of the opportunities that you are worried Harden would take. There’s not much more a player can have the ball than FVV already does. There’s not much more creation opportunities you can give a player than FVV already has with us. So if the worry is opportunity then FVV by all relevant measures of “taking opportunity away from young players”should be the same concern.

If what you meant this whole time was that you think it would be impossible for him to play the way he currently is based on a belief that a frustration problem playing with a younger group of guys would 100% arise, ok but I would disagree.

JumpMan likes this.
  11. StroudAndYorDaddy

maxey his last year in philly with harden was averaging 21 on 60% ts.. this year he is averaging more points because he is taking MORE shots but he is now doing it on 59% true shooting

12. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

James is still clearly an elite player and it's eating the haters up inside.

BTW thinking he wouldn't make this Rockets team DEMONSTRABLY better in place of VanVleet is actual insanity. With the jump Sengun has made, they'd be contenders.

#832 Loneyroy7, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  13. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Also because KD and Klay got injured.

GermanRakete and Rocket River like this.
  14. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then it is good for Scottie Barnes that Van Vleet is out of the window.....

JumpMan likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He started all the talk with his Daryl Morey is a Liar comment........

Daryl might be a liar but Harden did not have to go on social media on an Asian tour, calling out Morey in front of kids.....

He does not care but people noticed that he is not really high IQ off the court.....he is high IQ on the court for sure....

Morey could just have shipped him to the Memphis Grizzlies or the Charlotte Hornets .......

17. StroudAndYorDaddy

I don’t think morey and harden will still mad at each other for long.

18. Asian Sensation

Rockets have a winning record in January and you sorry rejects still slurpin this bum ass loser.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . and like clock work you came in to slurp the drippings

Rocket River

20. Asian Sensation

sick burn loser :rolleyes: