1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

isn’t alpi like top 5 in the league in box outs? rebounds can sometimes be a misleading stat

cml750, tagedieb and clos4life like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No. 9 now. But it's not just those, he also just leaves the uncontested rebounds to his teammates. I see Jalen Green flying in all the time now, when there is no opposing player around.

cml750, clos4life and IvanLCPM like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He'd get exhausted pretty quickly.

IMO they should feed him more since he's by far the best player on the team, but it can't be literally every possession he's on the court.

5. Proud Firelander

13 straight points for the Rockets from Alperen Sengun. Shortly after that Claxton flop technical.
    6 FGs in a row and a free throw. Ordinary players can't do that.

plegus, cml750, clutchdabear and 3 others like this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

He also has 3.9 screen assists per game that results in 9.1 pts. He is good in hustle stats too. He literally does everything.

cml750, clos4life and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If there isn't a stat for "rebound assists," there should be.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

There is the box out leaderboard, but that only captures it partially.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/box-outs?dir=D&sort=PCT_BOX_OUTS_REB

Depending on where you check, he is no. 6 or no. 9 there currently, he was the league leader there at some point.

He is also in the top 10 in screen assists:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/hustle-leaders

Also in the top 30 range for loose balls recovered, for deflections, for charges drawn, top 15 for contested shots per game.

#10550 AroundTheWorld, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    plegus, cml750, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  11. MystikArkitect

Two games in a row Ime/Alpy coerce and condition opposing centers in the first half and start unleashing Alpy downhill in the 3rd quarter and they've not been able to adjust.

Next game is going to be his biggest test of the season.

clos4life, subtomic, noppeper and 3 others like this.
  12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's literally one of the only stats the Green fans can point to as him having good games. Don't destroy that myth like that!!!

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I can't tell how they define a box-out. Do you get one even if your team doesn't get the rebound? Do you get one if you personally get the rebound?

I guess what I want is a stat that compensates for all the times you could have had the rebound but let your teammate have it, and made it possible for your teammate to have it. So if you get the rebound, you don't get this stat.

cml750 likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Someone else has to get the rebound - either another teammate, or it becomes a "team rebound" (where you don't get the credit for it).

The reason I say this only covers it partially is that this only counts it when you are actually boxing out an opposing player.

But what I see a lot is that the opposing players are already running back, the defensive rebound is uncontested, and Jalen Green FIGHTS FOR IT, JUMPS REALLY HIGH TO GET IT. Alpi just lets him be.

cml750, clos4life and Will like this.
  15. maypk

maypk Member

Reading other fanbases opinions about Alpi is hilarious.

Pistons fans tell they'd pick Cade at 1 and Alpi at 2.
    Raptors fans tell they'd pick Scottie at 1 and Alpi at 2.
    Cavs fans tell they'd pick Mobley at 1 and Alpi at 2.
    Hawks fans tell they'd pick Jalen Johnson at 1 and Alpi at 2.

I guess that's how you know who really is the best player on that draft class, lol.

Ankara1923, berkowsk, plegus and 8 others like this.
  16. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

The Sengunatics were...

right.

[​IMG]

plegus, cml750, iambeyonce and 5 others like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"I love being double-teamed, then I can find the wide open teammate."
    "I'm looking forward to going up against Gobert. I watch a lot of video and prepare for how to attack."

Bigearz, plegus, cml750 and 3 others like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Boring Alpe....puhhhh.....dude is automatic....do not really need to watch the game no more.

19. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

So the question is now, what's the best complementary piece to put around him?

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

For me, I have always really liked Sengun. He's far and away my favorite player on the team. My concerns that I have expressed that may keep him from superstardom were:
    • Lack of elite size or athleticism
    • Lack of consistent range
    I've talked a lot about why I feel that way and am not too interested in that topic anymore. I still maintain most of my concerns, it's just so boring to talk about. I rather talk about things we have learned about Sengun that have surprised me and may really assist in his hopeful ascent to superstardom.

Interior Toughness

I am not talking about being clutch when I say toughness. What I mean here is that Sengun has zero issues banging down low. In fact, he enjoys it. I knew early on that he had great footwork in the post, but a lot of players can't stand the constant physical blows and start shooting jumpers more and more. For me, big men shine brightest slugging it out in the trenches. The range is just to provide spacing for the rest of your team and more importantly, prevent you from getting schemed out of action as easily. I love this mentality of his to try and make the paint his home at all times. Now, he does struggle against quick long bigs though (honestly, virtually all do) so it will be interesting to see how he overcomes bigs who are faster than him and can recover quickly from his feints and fakes.

Body Control

Sengun's lack of elite physical measurements is my main concern with Sengun. One area though where I have been really surprised about though is his overall body control. I mentioned it in one of the game threads, but Sengun falls and flails with grace. It's like watching a beluga or walrus swimming; kid may look a bit awkward out there at times, but he is flexible and in control. His handle (while pretty good for big man) can't always keep up hence some dumb TOs, but often it's moot point as he's not dribbling around. This might actually be a big part of him overcoming some of those athleticism challenges where he shoots in additional interesting ways to avoid bigger, longer, or faster opponents. Long live the Flamingo Fling and Shotput Scoop!

I still don't think of him as a future top 10 superstar yet, but he's been proving me wrong in a lot of ways. I am especially happy to see him carving out a presence in the midrange.