1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn (and our stash of gold) - Sellers at the deadline? What's their next move?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It should finally be clear to the masses that the Titanic is going down, down, down... All those role players...Bridges never being more than the third best player on a contender...nothing but late firsts in the cupboard....locked into Simmons massive albatross of a contract. it's been checkmate for awhile, but what's next? They have to make moves.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Knicks made the first move out of the New York area....

Simmons' contract can be stretched and bought out....

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm going to say I can't predict the future with absolute certainty, but besides Booker, Phoenix looks really old with 4 late FRPs in the next 7 years. Brooklyn should get some really good picks from them when Booker is in his early 30s and the rest of the team are among the cast of the remake of Golden Girls. Brooklyn's own picks post Bridges look pretty good as well.

The Nets have basically three options.
    1) Trade for a star and ride out the Harden trade with trades and MLEs
    2) Keep on the threadmill of mediocrity and keep falling slowly further behind before machine kicks them off.
    3) Go fullscale rebuild and not worry about sunk costs.

I expect they will pick option 1, but it will end up being Option 2 in disguise. Rockes get at least 1 Top 4 pick out of this decision.

I think the smart thing if they don't get lucky with a star by this deadline would be to trade Bridges in a trade that involves getting their 2024 and 2026 picks back regardless of whether Bridges goes to the Rockets. I'm guessing the Rockets would want a pick in 2026 even if it sucks to preserve the ability to trade 4 future unprotected for a star if one becomes available next season.

#4 Joe Joe, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Although they had the KD Harden Irving and the Garnett Pierce Deron teams ......

Brooklyn never struck me as ambitious as the Knicks....

saleem likes this.
  6. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I would trade all the BRK swaps and picks back to BRK for Bridges.

Arnel, 34to11, Y2JT and 2 others like this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's way too much for Bridges, as far as I'm concerned.

saleem, Htown Stros, cml750 and 17 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Usually if a veteran team is not proactive in starting a rebuild it is very common that they are scared of having to pick players.....

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bridges probably isn't enough for the Rockets to do that trade straight up considering where they are in the competitive cycle, but I think most teams would do that for Bridges. Losing the 2026 pick really would hurt the Rockets flexibility. If Brooklyn was willing to do that trade, I expect the Rockets would be able to get quite a lot of value from Bridges from a third team if they got another team involved.

10. MystikArkitect

Bridges and Claxton and they get their picks and swaps back along with Landale and Oladipo.

It's a no brainer for both teams. Nets gave it a shot and it didn't work but this gives them a real opportunity to rebuild correctly. They're gonna want Cam or Amen but they can **** off if that's the case. Rockets have all the leverage here.

joshuaao and don grahamleone like this.
  11. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

I say let's stay patient with moving that pick...2 areas we need to upgrade: SG and our bench, mainly our Big men position off the bench.
    I don't think acquiring Bridges will make us title contenders this year. Let's stay course on acquiring and improving our assets to make bigger moves

Plowman likes this.
  12. Dredd

Dredd Member

Ppl on here act like MIkal Bridges is a SUPERSTAR talent. He's a great player, but not something I'm blowing up the team for.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If Houston is making any kind of trade for a star, it also means trading or benching a starter.

Who is that exactly?

As for whats best for Brooklyn, I dont see that they have the assets to trade for a top star.

#13 jim1961, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's a short sighted trade. If the price is right, sure why not, but not at the expense of trading away our draft capital. Those are good assets for us. I know you guys don't want to develop young guys, but at the same time, Sengun is coming up for a max extension, Green is going to likely be extended (although the verdict is still out on how much), then Jabari and Eason are right behind.

Assuming Amen turns into the player we all want him to be, maybe we will get to shed Fred's salary, but maybe not. We have seen how critical the PG position is for us and since Fred will be in his prime, I highly doubt the Rockets will forego his salary a couple of years from now unless Amen is the clear PG for this team.

So yeah, just a ton of salary commitment in the next few years, so having prospects from those Nets picks will also be important. I wouldn't jump on trading them away for a player that does not put us in contention, even if he makes us more competitive.

don grahamleone, jcmoon and cbass like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This is more like it! :) (Nets fans are already succumbing to their fate I love it!)

saleem and persian hoopa like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I agree with the spirit of the trade but I think the problem is that the Rockets are still missing that true #1 offensive guy. The guy that we have all been hoping Green could be. While I agree that Bridges is worth those picks, the Rockets at least have some lesser versions of him in Eason and Brooks. With Cam potentially being another player in that mold. I would reach more for the Brandon Ingram type if I were giving away our war chest than Bridges, even if I would put them as similar level of players.

saleem likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They have what Phoenix gave up for a star plus some of what Philadelphia and Dallas gave up for a star. They have plenty. They just would not have much left and would depend on trades and MLEs to build around that guy.

On a star for Houston, that would depend on who they get and send out regarding who goes to the bench.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Knowing that any one of those picks could turn into a Sengun, Eason or Whitmore level player?

don grahamleone likes this.