1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Holy **** Deboer did everything he could to lose that game. That was an abysmal coaching job tonight!

A_3PO, raining threes and rfrocket like this.
  2. raining threes

Probably top 3 QB in this draft if not for his injury history.

3. Buck Turgidson

Not sure about that.

If you've seen him this year...

any pressure makes him fold

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's almost impossible to win a game by committing as many penalties as we did, turning the ball over as much as we did, and failing to pressure a Heisman-caliber quarterback all game. We were lucky to have a shot at the end - and it's fitting that we were garbage in the red zone one last time - but we did everything necessary to lose that game for four quarters.

rockbox likes this.
  5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ewers is good but not great. Hopefully Manning improves enough to challenge him in Spring.

Texas defense is still a lot to be desired.

Great year for them though, and due to recruiting feels like we will see them have opportunities to compete for a championship.

dmenacela and mtbrays like this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

It’s time for Ewers to move on. Arch was a good boy and patiently sat this year, but I think everyone is ready for the change to be made. I guess maybe Ewers would probably have to take a pay cut if he turns pro, but the time is right.

Ewers would probably go somewhere in the top three rounds if he comes out. But, if he gets beat out by Arch then I think his value would plummet. Ewers is a good college QB, but Arch is expected to be great.

dmenacela, tinman and seemoreroyals like this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ewers looks like 3-5 round prospect. Can anyone say Gardner Minshew? Very similar.

Penix is extremely underrated. A lot of similarities to Stroud minus that awful looking release.

8. mtbrays

Supporting Member

The bright side is that Sark and Ewers have turned this team around from 5-7 to 12-2 in two years. That is remarkable and we should all feel good about the future. These young DBs will grow and compete against receivers like Washington's in the near future.

On the other hand, Ewers was "off" last night and seems to not really be anything more than a really good game manager when he is "on". He had so many tipped passes before missing AD for the win. His balls don't have any "zip" on them compared to guys like Penix. If he comes back, I hope he truly earns the starting spot and that Arch is able to challenge him because, if this is Qunn's ceiling, he may not be the one to help us win the SEC.

#16068 mtbrays, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    dmenacela likes this.
  9. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

Ewers doesn’t seem to have much touch on the ball or the ability to zip the ball into tight windows. QB play was the difference between the two teams.

#16069 Pbev99, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    dmenacela likes this.
  10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Disappointing but no complaints about this year at all. We could have lost a few more games but things broke our way. Going to enjoy the feeling before next season has potential to shatter hope again.

tinman, mtbrays and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I've seen everything but a March Madness win and a Super Bowl win for Houston...

everything else is gravy to me, I just can't get that upset about it anymore

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Our redzone execution did us in again. We had a shot and blew it. We would have won with Bijan because he was essentially our redzone offense last season.

I know Ewers can make those passes but for some reason he loves to put air under all his passes. Almost the opposite of Malik who would rather throw Warren Moon type tight ropes to everyone and have receivers not be able to reel them in. Honestly, I think Malik has more of the physical tools to be an NFL quarterback if he can get he develops his the game management part. NFL receivers expect balls to come at them fast.

13. Buck Turgidson

or Brooks

raining threes likes this.
  14. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Pray for the NRG Stadium event organizers, though. They have been two UT bed shittings away from hosting Texas in the CFP championship and Final Four in the last year.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know who should have moved on ?

Penix. He’s playing his 6th year , same with Bo Nix. They aren’t college kids , more like adults already

raining threes likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Don't kick me out of UT fandom circles....but I think I'd rather see UH win it in hoops than UT. I think. Maybe. Maybe no.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't know. We had redzone issues when Brooks was healthy also. Bijan was just a different animal when it came the combination of power and elusiveness.

18. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I fully admit that Texas winning a basketball national championship would be cool blip on the fandom radar for most Longhorns, probably less exciting for most than baseball and volleyball. Can you imagine if they'd won a championship and raised a banner in a half-full Erwin Center full of blue-haired football donors?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Stupidass Carmelo Anthony.

I haven't been paying that much attention so far this year, how are the crowds at the Moody?

20. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Muted largely because of the awful non-conference schedule. Imagine paying good money to see Incarnate Word, Delaware State, Rice, Wyoming, Texas State, Houston Christian, Texas A&M Corpus Christi, UNC Greensboro and UT Arlington.