1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. invocux

invocux Member

I don't think he's the future #1 of this team nor do i think he is future Killian Hayes. I'm almost never biased i will always say it how i see it. His handles are terrible and his shooting form is simply put disgusting. I don't think his shooting form can be fixed. Both twins shoot the same they have been shooting like that their whole lives and you can't really change the way you shoot after a while. It becomes their identity finds a place in their DNAs almost. There are certain players who got much better as they age like Lowry but Lowry has always had a nice form so that argument is frankly trash. Don't be optimitic just for the sake of being optimistic like an NPC. "He will get better he is only 19-20-21" talk is a low iq talk. You can get better, get worse or doesn't improve at all. Where do you all think these bang average bbers in the league came from? They were once 19 years old too.

What i like about him is his court vision and bbiq. While i don't expect him to be Harden or Dame i know he will not hurt the team even if he never shoots well. I think him and Sengun will work fine, he will drop dimes at times drop our jaw to the floor. He's very clever. I can see him averaging 8-9 assists a game but i don't expect him to be a 20+ ppg type of PG. His numbers will be around 15-17. He will not be a liability on defense. I like him more than Green, Tari and probably just a little more than Jabari but he's not as valuable as Cam or Sengun in my eyes. Yeah i think he eventually will be a 16/6/8 type of kid. His size will help him massively seeing the court over others. He will probably grow an inch and become 6'8. He will be able to make passes that FVV can't.

I don't think he is a bust but i don't think he will be a world beater or franchise cornerstone mainly because i don't really give a damn about a player's athleticism unless he is a Morant like outlier and i think that shooting the ball is kind of important in bb.

wolstein and Gergin like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His lack of shooting definitely will be noted when the team is facing a legit contender that can take advantage.

I like the kid but why were the worst teams of the last years the Pistons and the Rockets drafting a raw guy?

Fits their model.....

invocux likes this.
  3. invocux

invocux Member

Yeah they will let him shoot as much as he wants. He would get Russ treatment. I wanted Scoot so bad because i trust him being a .35 kind of shooter from behind the arc and he is talented as ****. He doesn't shoot well atm but i don't hate his form. I also wanted Whitmore which we got him and Gradey Dick who is not doing well atm but i'm in love with his form he will become a great shooter. I think he would do fine here. I don't hate Amen but we are extremely lucky that Cam slid down to 20.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree with this assessment. Honestly he could be super valuable as just a solid starter who doesn’t need the ball to make an impact on the game. We get so caught up in the best case scenario for these rookies that we lose sight of what well balanced teams look like. Amen’s passing combined with his bball IQ make him valuable playing alongside a creative(Sengun) and a chaos maker(Tari).

invocux and Y2JT like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is exactly it. Amen is already an elite defensive player. He needs to take at least all of Tate’s minutes. If we need instant offense it is Holiday for now, but he is not a rotation level player on a good team. Amen and/or Cam should start taking his minutes. We are not going to win shoot outs. When Brooks and Jabari get back, we need to get back to the relentless defense. For all the Tate fans, he is not good defensively. People need to quit relating hustle to good. Good players hustle, but if all you have is hustle it doesn’t make you a good player.

6. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I thought he was ready to play in the NBA? Is he injured? Has he even played half a game or 24 minutes?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How can you be a top draft pick and you can't do the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING a player can do....and that is being a good shooter.

Why the F... are we focusing on the wrong things.....

Shooting is the single most important thing.

DD

invocux likes this.
  8. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

He didn’t have to. He was always 2-3 years older than everyone he played against until now. OTE might have the worst competition out of any pro league in the world. Not even exaggerating either, that’s how bad it is.

gumbleton3 likes this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Exactly….top five picks are supposed to be what you tank for which are players who can shoot and carry an offense in the near future. I haven’t officially called Amen a bust, but I have a hard time seeing him as a 23 points per game scorer in this league. For all those who say I’m crazy because of the ridiculously small timeframe, I disagree because we have years of film of him playing in an inferior league and being the oldest player in that league and still not being able to hit threes or free throws. Dude can’t shoot outside shots which makes him more of a Matysse Thybule prospect than a James Harden type prospect.

10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

This has very little to do with the 11 games he’s played. He isn’t an 18 year old newbie with no resume and background. He was one of the older players drafted (yes 20 years is now sadly considered older in drafts) and has an immense background of flawed mechanics and miserable shooting percentages on anything outside of close to the basket. Our only hope in drafting him was that Ben Sullivan could somehow fix his horrific form and turn him into an average outside shooter. Rarely has this ever been done, but I guess hope springs eternal for a few of you.

vince likes this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He will hurt Sengun if he can’t shoot better than 12% threes, because teams will pack the lane due to no threat from our shooting guard. His brother plays significant minutes and averages 9 points a game. When all is said and done, Amen will likely average in a similar range when given 30+ minutes a game like his twin brother. They are who they are….great athletes who score most of their points on athletic layups and fastbreaks.

vince likes this.
  12. vince

vince Member

Amén has a lot of work to put into his game. As of now he has a boatload of potential, but would be highly inefficient and ineffective for any sort winning formula. If his shooting stays abysmal, he will be like many who came before him, athletic freaks with little impact in terms of results in a results oriented league. He may be a side-shows and nothing NBA substantial, maybe he can hook up with the Harlem Globetrotters.

I would suspect the Rockets have an idea of how to improve his in-game shooting percentages, but so far it looks miserable.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe we can replace the Bust tag with Unproductive Player......

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The only place he would fit would be with the Warriors in their prime because Shaun Livingston was playing well without being a shooter off the bench.....

Clippers' Shaun Livingston.....just an average player.....

vince likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It all came down to the luck of the draw. We lost. We got Amen and the Spurs got.....

16. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

rafaella stone had three top 5 picks within 3 years and none of them became top 5 or top 10 in their class rankings. nough said. i am sure some idiots will say it is too early. is it too early for the existing top 10s in their respective classes? no. u compare apples with apples. and stone failed badly.

Dredd likes this.
  17. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Toxic thread with too much negativity. It's just way too soon. He couldn't get any practice in before the season started and there's barely time to practice once it begins. The more he plays the better he'll become. I love what I've seen so far, despite the mistakes. He just needs to believe in abilities and be more aggressive. He has that lost puppy look Jabari had last season.

His mid range shot is better than I expected and he has a floater I didn't know was in his bag. Everything he needs work on will improve because he works hard. Since he's finally able to play against brother (after missing the summer league game vs. Pistons), hopefully we'll see a more aggressive/assertive Amen.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hell, God's Work is never a Bust.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jabari isn’t top 10 in his draft class?

y’all just say anything on here…

name 10 players better than Jabari in his draft class, I dare u

Y2JT likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

The only draft class you can maybe start to draw some conclusions on is '21 and even then it's probably a bit too soon. We know which players of that class are going to be good but we don't know which current bad/mediocre performers will break out and push into the top 5 of that class. Hell, it took Lauri Markkanen until year 6 to become an all-star.

Still too soon on '22 or '23 to draw firm conclusions about very much. But Jabari is doing fine and is currently on track in my view.

We aren't even close to being able to determine anything about '23 or especially Amen's ultimate outcome, since he's played even less than most rookies from his class.

Hemingway likes this.