1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SG Trade targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Mike, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

This is the most likely scenario. Udoka would appreciate his defense and he can score and pass some. Young enough to contribute when the Rockets are “good”. He and Thompson could potentially be really nasty defensively.

Getting Murray would likely take a multi team trade with Green and the Nets picks and maybe more going out for Murray.

Not sure I would do it - but he would be a good fit.

jcmoon, Aruba77, Y2JT and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Murray is a very good defender when he is held accountable- which he isn’t in Atlanta.

Plowman likes this.
  3. ilias

ilias Member

Main problem with Dejounte Murray is his outside shot. He has been quite inconsistent in his career. Given our spacing issues, I’d rather we go for a pure bucket, like Anfernee Simmons.

Of course it all depends on what assets we invest in a trade. Maybe our next SG (assuming we move on from Jalen) is just a stopgap like FVV. Say we trade for a Dejounte-level SG this year without giving out the farm; then 2 years down the line - when we are ready to compete - we package Murray and rest of assets for someone like Booker/Mitchell.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. TheBeastSystem

no on dejounte

jalen and reggie for tyus and ryan rollins

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I wonder if Coby White is available. He was on a downward trend the past couple of seasons due to a crowded rotation and poor defense, but he's always been a good shooter. His ballhandling and playmaking has stepped up huge this season with Lavine out. He's only 23 and on a cheap contract, so the Bulls wouldn't trade him for cheap, but he was considered somewhat of a disappointment prior to this season so maybe they'd like to cash in for their rebuild while he's hot.

I'd also like Tyus Jones. He's a PG, but it feels like we're running FVV into the ground a bit as the only reliable playmaking guard. Like FVV, he's a decent defender for his size and one of the steadiest ballhandlers in the league. His 6.6 A/TO ratio is actually better than FVV's. I think he'd be available because he's not in Washington's long-term plans and is an expiring contract. He's only 27 so we could either re-sign him or get value in a SnT.

Little Bit and tagedieb like this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Rather have Simons than Murray if I got to choose. Dream scenario would be Maxey or Bane, but that ain't happening.

7. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Maybe a change of scenery will help both of them.

8. TheBeastSystem

ivey has extra year on his deal
    would be worth trading jg for him for that reason alone in my opinion

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Murray do not play defense…I do not see as Ivey as a starting shooting guard and he is not a defender, not a defender now and was not in college

10. ilias

ilias Member

Another win-now target would be Zach Lavine.
    • His stock is pretty low right now, so he can be obtained at a decent value.
    • His skill set (shooting/spacing, penetration, fast breaks, high-efficiency scoring) complements our team well.
    • Surrounded by FVV and Dillon his defensive deficiencies will be mitigated.
    Assuming there are no long-term concerns about his health, he would definitely represent an upgrade over Green in the SG spot. We are a definite 45+ wins team with Lavine.

Green, Oladipo, Tate, Landale + 2 FRPs (2024 Nets, 2025 Rockets) for Lavine and Drummond

11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Too short to pair with FVV IMO. And we don't have the dual rim protection like the Cavs.

Pass.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Atlanta fans have been harping about his defense and shooting all year. Its possible its a bad fit for him in ATL, but he's been riding on the Spurs reputation for a while.

Plowman likes this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not claiming to be a Murray expert, but from what I've seen myself and what I've heard from people who do more closely follow SA and/or Atlanta:

His height helped him be an good-enough PG defender in SA. As a SG, his very slight build lessens his impact on defense.

That said, he's not worse than Jalen on defense. He has decent hands and can get steals. His 6 additional years means he has better awareness than Jalen. But he's also not good. He'd still be the worst defender in our starting lineup, and probably the worst defender in our regular rotation.

Nook likes this.
  14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I’d be interested in Lavine but I am giving up essentially nothing.

Green+Green+Tate+Jock+ Dipo for Lavine and Pat Williams.

15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Start Boban at SG.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

But he is probably far better than Green on offence
    AND he can run the 2nd unit as a PG - which really allows time for Amen and Cam to come along over the next couple of seasons.

I like the idea of DM.

The other possibility might be the Pistons and Bojan, Ivey and filler.
    Bojan can start and space the floor
    Ivey can be a development project
    Green/ Tate/ Jock/ Oladipo might entice them?

Haymitch likes this.
  17. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Hard pass on Lavine - he's making $40M+ a year through 26-27 season with the last year a Player Option...we'll be surrendering our cap flexibility for a player who's team actually is playing better without him. Lavine is an example of a player with good stats, but not a proven winner

cdxiong, A_3PO, OremLK and 1 other person like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

Not a fan of Lavine's contract. Definitely would not offer picks if with a Green deal. The cheap rookie + expiring contracts, given up are actually valuable for teams hitting the double apron. If anything, Bulls should be giving us a 2nd rounder for taking Lavine off their hands.

Teams like the Wolves and Celtics will get very expensive after this season, when some of their guys have to get extended. May even have cats like Derrick White shaking lose.

On Lavine himself, he and Tibs parted ways. He also is asking to leave because he doesn't want to play for Billy Donovan, who is winning right now with the players who do listen. Is Zach going to cause drama if Ime rides him too hard.

If he was a 25m player instead of a 40m player, then maybe. If we're only looking for defense and spacing, there's likely cheaper options.

#58 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

On Dejounte Murray, he seemes more 'outspoken' and let his real personality show, after he left the Spurs.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

You have to remember that with FVV we can bring in a guard that is a little bit more of a combo. He just has to penetrate well.