1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. ilias

ilias Member

Not ready to press the button yet…but would consider it, if we could trade Green for another young scorer like the below:
    • Cole Anthony
    • Immanuel Quickley
    • Anfernee Simmons
    • Devin Vassell
    • Dejounte Murray
    • Cam Thomas
    • Benedict Mathurin
    Still, best to wait till the summer, don’t want to give up on Green’s potential so early.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  2. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

This guy can score

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ron Artest had a bigger offensive bag

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's not for sure that his value will get higher though. One could argue trading him now is simply getting off the sinking ship and maximizing what value he has left.

I wouldn't trade him now because I think his value is so low at this point, I think it's just better to risk his value dropping to zero in the hopes he figures something out during what time we have left on his rookie deal.

I don't think he has much more value than a late 1st round pick at this point, which sure as hell isn't getting you anything of long term consequence, but is still more than nothing if he continues flaming out.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you mean by offensive bag that is overpowering and bullying players in the post and perimeter, yeah please.

6. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

I dont really get "Dont trade him his value is too low"...

If his value was high we wouldn't want to trade him...right?

He sucks...he wasn't worth the 2nd pick...Rockets F up... this is the price they have to pay...

Y2JT likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

I've been on the Ant Simons train for a while now (his mom call him Ant). The push back I got last year was, people saying Simons wouldn't look as efficient without Dame.

This year, even on a bad Blazer team, his TS % is 59.5%. 39.8 3pt% at 9.3 attempts per game. 5.2 free attempts a game, at 92.3% FT. His game sample of being good shooter is also longer (and more consistent) than others on the list. Simons can flat out shoot.

He's 6'3 and skinny. But I'm a bit tired of people over relying on talking point of positional size over skill ball. League is softer now, skill ball trumps positional size. Kpj at the 1 was supposed to favor positional size, how did that turn out. Athletic ball also means little, when it's non basketball functional athletism. This is kinda what got Weaver (and less extent Stone), trouble in the first place.

If Blazers love Henderson at the 1 (Brogdan for now), and Sharpe at the 2 (instead of 3), I would definitely inquire on Anfernee. He's also on a long contract.

#1227 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 25, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
    ilias likes this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Ya but what do we really need for this team at this point? We don't need someone to take over the starting guard position. We have a logjam at that spot with Holiday, Bullock, Whitmore, Amen Thompson can play both 1-3, Oladipo somewhere collecting checks. If we can get a rotational Back up big and a couple picks we'll be fine. There is no way we give him the money he'll want because of his ego. He'll probably just walk at this point. I'd rather just get some needs and call it a day.

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

He seems to be on more of a Demar Derozan trajectory assuming he can get it together: someone who can get 20-25 PPG (albeit inefficiently) and isn't able to provide much else. I don't think this team is good enough yet that we can start trading players away especially this season, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he's not part of the 'core' going forward.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sounds good but Blazers would not do it.....he is better than Sharpe and Henderson right now.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I liked Simons coming out of college. I wanted the rockets to draft him that year but we didn’t have a pick. I live in a Portland and have watched Simons his entire career.

He’s a very good scorer. He’s undersized but he is a very efficient shooter. My comp for him is Eric Gordon with terrible defense. He is straight up one of the worst defenders on a terrible defensive team. I know we need a scorer, but I have a hard time seeing Ime putting up with the lack of defense.

I do think Portland would trade him for Jalen Green. I personally would rather sign Gary Trent Jr in the offseason. He’s a legit 2-way player; excellent shooter and a much better defender…and still very young.

ArtV, robbie380, Y2JT and 1 other person like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

Do you think if he's here, can his defense be improved to neutral?
    Follow up, thoughts on his replacement level to Green's current defense?

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He has a bad/long contract for an offensive only SG. We would be much better off trading for Brogdon using the Nets pick unless we somehow could bet Bridges at the trade deadline.

Aruba77 likes this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

Well Green gots to go. For him as much as us. He can and will flourish in the right setting. (We are not it). We will not get top value. Our goal should be to get a super role player as his return. Maybe just maybe two.

Carpe82 likes this.
  15. Aruba77

honestly with Ime, I’m a believer in his ability to improve anyone’s defense, but wish Simons was taller.

the guy shoots 38-39% career from 3 and can also dish it. He is a high-level scorer, and would definitely contribute more than Jalen. So from a replacement level standpoint, he’d be a big upgrade. I’d have to strongly consider trading Jalen for Simon. I think the Simons contract is actually reasonable.

but as I said, signing a guy like Gary Trent Jr, who is also 25, 2 inches taller, plays good defense, same 3pt efficiency, but much less of a scorer and playmaker, is also worth considering; especially because u don’t have to give up assets to get him.

I also like the Brogdon idea (not for Jalen), but he’s a scorer who is also a good 2-way player. His contract expires after next season so could be a nice 2–yr guy for us. Still in his prime.

#1235 Aruba77, Dec 25, 2023
  16. Aruba77

agreed Bridges would be the holy grail but I just don’t see the Nets dealing him. If they are willing to deal him for their picks back I’d make that deal; I’d also be more than willing to include Jalen in a deal for Bridges.

I actually don’t see the Simon’s contract as bad. He’s about to start hitting his best years. If he can find a way to not be a defensive liability then that contract will be a bargain.

Agreed getting Brogdon would be a great option and he’d cost a lot less.

Y2JT and daywalker02 like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I wouldn’t trade Green for Simons, but Green, Tate and all the Nets picks for Bridges I would do.

Aruba77 likes this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

Mikal is a SF though taller (but slower). If he replaces Green, who's going to the 2, Dillon? or someone else.

Mikal would cost more, I also see Nets less likely give up Mikal, than Blazers on a Simons. Mikal is Net's #1. Whereas, for Blazers, it's arguable Anfernee is their best player, but in their eyes right now the future is Sharpe and Henderson. If they tunnel vision on their mystery boxes, there might be opportunity for the Rockets to snatch Ant up.

Note: back on the Nets: the us giving Nets their picks back seems to be more of a HOU fan base thing, than a Nets fan base thing. It's akin to how little our fanbase talk about the idea to trade with OKC to get our picks back. Nets is not draft picks poor after the KD trade. They're also a .500 team, where right now is still looking at most a re-tool (than a full rebuild).

#1238 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 25, 2023
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

88% of talked deal are either not going thru or nipped in the bud in the beginning.

Brogdon is the most realistic, he is older and Blazers were not going to retain him for long either way.

Simons in a packaged deal for a borderline All Star or All Star reserve is something Portland might do but in a few years.

For now Jerami Grant (massive contract) and Brogdon are the odd men out, maybe Time Lord as well but he has a friendly contract.

20. Ancient Moabite

Jalen Green 'Not Happy' with Offensive Game, Says Rafael Stone (msn.com)

Not only is Green's scoring average trending down to 17.1, but he's shooting just under 40 percent from the field, which is far from what you desire from your franchise shooting guard. However, general manager Rafael Stone isn't overtly concerned with where he is at the moment.

"Some is just the ball hasn’t gone in as much as he’d like," Stone said via Kelly Iko of The Athletic. "Some of it’s make and miss. I don’t know that it’s not having the ball in his hands so much as trying to adjust to a different offense, different schemes. ... I know Jalen is not happy with where he is offensively and we want him to be better and more efficient too. But I would say that it would not be accurate or fair to single him out."

BaselineFade and Mathloom like this.