1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I'm thinking that the Jalen Green Ime Udoka relationship might not be a lengthy one. They don't seem to be a great fit for each other. I do think Green could still be a very good player, but his shooting and inefficiency can't be ignored. He looks uncomfortable and out of place in this offense right now. He looked better earlier in the year. Hopefully things improve.

2. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I was a huge Green fan but this kid ain’t it. Hes got so many deficiencies. Starting with his approach. Hes not serious pregame. Bari/Amen were constantly working and you could tell very professional. Jalen just looked like he was there to hang out.
    His offensive efficiency is putrid. He has no vision and is always looking to score. He comes off the screen and has no bag and just tries to get to the rim without any nuance. He missed like 2 skips, a cut to amen, and wide open corner 3s. He has no court awareness two times he had a 5 on 4 and he dribbled so slowly he gave away the advantage.
    He’s so little on D, slow to rotate, and usually is guarding a random nobody on in the corner. And even then he can’t play the low man.

He’s high usage without efficiency or impact. Just give his minutes to Cam/Amen/Tari. No ones gonna trade for him lol.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Whatever Ime is trying to get him to do, Green just seems unable to do it.
    The lack of or negative progress this year is just becoming indefensible.

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Green can't get an easy shot. His drives are out of control, he's not getting the lobs he got a year ago, and his outside shooting is as inconsistent as ever. On top of that, he's the kind of player who should get to the line a lot, but too often that doesn't happen. No free throws again tonight. That's really inexcusable for a guy as quick as he is. He could make a living at the free-throw line but it doesn't happen, and I'm not sure why not.

jim1961 likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In part, teams are learning that they dont need to foul him to keep him from scoring.

subtomic likes this.
  6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

They tried to accomplish the very difficult with Porter as a reclamation project at the same time they were developing Rookies.

Porter eventually crashed & burned and Green is falling far short of expectations.

Maybe Green would still have had problems even if they had ran a tight ship instead of mucking around with Porter.

Maybe Green would be different if they hadn't been mucking around with Porter.

This failure with Green isn't going to be easy to overcome. Have to hope that Whitmore or similar rises to the occasion because Green surely isn't doing it.

7. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Jalen moves away from the defender when he goes up to the rim. Which he always did from AAU days since they rarely calls defensive calls on layup and make the finish look more stylish. He does have small hand so he is bad at holding on to the ball in the air to begin with but bigger issue is him not able to change his tempo is bigger issue. Basically he has two speed; Fast and Faster which is not a good option when you playing against a NBA defense bigs.

NewAge likes this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

YEah, the speed is super-elite but if you don't get a free lane it doesnt do you much good. We're not set up with an Offensive Tackle like Gortat or Steven Adams clearing lanes for J.Wall and Westbrook, that's not what we run.

The promise with J Green offensively was that he'll develop from a so-so shooter into a decent shooter, so that defenses would have come out to him and he could blow-by for layups and free throws... It's not happening.

On the defensive end there is some improvement. He's still not boxing out, but is attentive and trying to track rebounds, and with his footspeed he's getting to the ball successfully at times. He still doesnt fight screens, but is more aware and again using footspeed to avoid them entirely...

fattz likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not comparing him to Harden there, just didn't like that 'Inefficient' shot bit. The midrange is extremely valuable, it helps a guard like Jalen become that much harder to guard.

I don't know how likely or unlikely it is. That's on the coaches and team to figure out. That's what people don't get. He could be nailing these shots in practice and thus is just waiting for it to flip in games. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but if the former happens it isn't going to be a lightswitch. Worse shooters have improved than Jalen, it's far from impossible.

Yall tend to think this is how it works, players evolve and grow over time. Sengun didn't get to where he is now suddenly, you saw it coming on game to game.

Same with Jabari now, this 30 point game didn't come out of nowhere, he's been having good games for a while now, its built up into this, and now maybe he'll get more trust from the team to take more of an offensive load, but my point is if he's working on his shot it isn't going to magically get better over night. It's not a video game, his rating isn't going to magically go up on 3 point shooting +15 points, it does take commitment from him to improve yes, but also in the team. I really don't want to bring up the list of superstar players that started to come on a little later where giving up on them 1-3 years in their career would have been silly.

While I'm not happy with his play this season overall, there is no reason to give up on him right now. People upset about losing these games need to keep the long term focus, who gives a flip about a random Wednesday night game?

We aren't doing **** this year. We'll be lucky to make it to the playoffs to get swept. This year is still about growth and development, so all these talks of drastically cutting his minutes or trading him for possibly bad contracts (Lavine) or 1 year players who will bolt to Miami, LA, or NYC (Donovan) are just silly to me. Neither player is putting us into the contender tier and yes I'd rather bet on Green fixing his ish then most of the realistic trade proposals people have put up here.

anthony59237 and NewAge like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The way Jalen Green is playing right now, he'd be lucky to get an offer of the veteran minimum.

fattz likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sengün has that mean streak even when he sucks, he is prancing and dancing around defenders....

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean I don’t disagree but at some point the results have to matter and you have to change course in some way. We can’t just keep “hoping he turns it around!” and giving him 30+ minutes per game and letting him shoot more than most on the team if the results aren’t remotely passable.

beardsanity713 and MadMax like this.
  13. bmelo

bmelo Member

Idk bro, he doesnt look to special when he plays either and teams dont even plan against him

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad and disappointing. The worst part of trying to trade him is that we'd have to give up even more draft picks for him, and we already wasted our #2 pick in the draft on him. I'm not sure what kind of contract he's expecting, but he's not worth much. It would be hard to justify paying him even 4 million a year.

Eric Gordon 2 year / $6,552,719
    FT 45% 3PT 39% TS 58.4%

Aaron Holiday 1 year / 2.34 Million
    FT 45.5% 3PT 42.9% TS 58.7%

Jalen Green
    FT 41.8% 3PT 33.9% TS 53.1%

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can call it dumb ass or anything you like. But tell me how do you know Sengun wouldn't be even better now if he was coached properly from the start?

I am amazed how people talk like they know counterfactual outcome and/or the future for sure. The fact is, you don't know and I don't know. It is fine if you don't like Jalen Green or don't think he will be anything. But trading him now is just bad move. What is the hurry? Why not wait a little longer before a better informed decision can be made?

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He only played in 5 NBA games. Let's watch a little more before we make any conclusion about the kid.

OremLK likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And some teams don't care if he is scoring a bit.

18. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

If Pat Beverley is available, I would say go for it. Rockets need a defense oriented guard who's willing to do the dirty work.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He had major deficiencies. The reason he was picked 4th was his athleticism and vision, passing.

I have a hunch he is going to be okay but I fail to see that he is special too.

Maybe he can be a flashy player and gets away with it.

Easy likes this.
  20. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Jalen Green is stupid. Low IQ. His physical gifts got him all the way to the #2 pick, but the guy just sucks. Jalen does not scan the floor and process the game like the other 9 professionals playing.

Where did that Winnie the Pooh Jalen Green d***rider go?? I thought Jalen was the next MJ or Kobe! Lmao @The hypebeast clowns and their sexual attractions to influencers.

Let’s never draft a player based off Instagram followers again.

clutchdabear likes this.