1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where Do You Stand on Jalen Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Dec 19, 2023.

?

Pick the one that best fits your opinion

1. 10- Jalen will be everything we want. Superstar potential. Needs a bit more time.

2.1%
  2. 9- He may not be a superstar. An all-star perhaps.

5.1%
  3. 8-

2.6%
  4. 7- He will still be a valuable player.

12.4%
  5. 6- He may still come around, but it will take longer than we hoped.

20.5%
  6. 5- On the fence. Things could go equally either way.

17.9%
  7. 4-

9.8%
  8. 3- He will not ever be the guy we hoped. Role player at best.

23.5%
  9. 2-

1.3%
  10. 1- Hopeless. Worthless. Trade him.

4.7%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Largely given up on him being a top 2 scoring option on a real contender because he has plateaued so hard at a young age. The second and third years are years you should see the most improvement, and as a scorer we've seen absolutely none to this point. I just see no skill improvement whatsoever, he tries to beat a man with the first step, and if he can't get by them it's a contested jump shot or give it up. He doesn't seem to use screens well at all, and he has very little shiftiness moving near the basket. I don't see him bringing enough value anywhere else to be an impact player if he's not that level of scorer.

I certainly still think he could steady himself and be a solid scorer that has a long career in the league, but that won't do us a lot of good if we're talking title contender foundation. Those kind of guys tend to float around the league for a reason.

Bust is a relative term, if a guy has a long good career it's hard for me to call him a bust, and I think he will still do that. Based on what we needed from him as the second overall pick, I would say he will fall well short.

#81 sealclubber1016, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This. You can't learn how to play basketball in a short time.

csc177 likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If his value is very low and unlikely to improve, why bother riding out the contract when you can use the contract itself as a value piece returning up to ~125% of his salary.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What other choices does he have as starting 2 guards?

Cam or Holiday .... Cam's not ready and Holiday is small - he and FVV would be a terribly small tandem.

Holiday as the starting 2 also screws up the PG rotation as he's the guy Ime goes to when FVV goes to the bench.

FVV is averaging almost 39 minutes a game as it is.

Jalen probably starts unless there's a trade bringing back another option or he misses time due to injury.

BigMaloe and MystikArkitect like this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

6th man is my best hope at this point. Larry Hughes is the comparison that comes to mind right now, but could see Lou Williams or Jamal Crawford.

Even if he panned out, I think you get Mitch Richmond.

6. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Let him walk for nothing.

No team would want him in the fourth quarter with the game on the line.

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I voted 9. It’s getting harder and harder to defend his subpar performance lately. But I I’m not giving up hope, yet.

His first two years were completely wasted as far as his development goes. So I’m willing to give him more time.

#87 duluth111222, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  8. Shark44

Shark44 71er

I voted 6 because he's still young and has some phenomenal ability. The Silas years set him back, let's give Ime a full year to see if he/staff can help him figure it out. Jalen reminds me a little of a guy I played with that had all of the athletic ability and some fantastic skills, but he never pulled it all together and ended up flipping burgers. Hopefully that's not his fate or at least if it is we trade him before he runs out of value. C'mon Jalen "let's go"!

albuster likes this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

If he is a throw in in a trade which nets a valuable piece that is here for several years then I would trade him.

A Green for X is what I was getting at, him alone isn't going to get value.

I would absolutely choose not watching him stink up the court for any longer than I need to.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Wanted to thank you all.

168 votes so far. Pretty good turmout!

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Well I was really high on him and defended him pretty staunchly for 2.2 years. Now, Im thinking best case scenario is he blossoms late in his second contract. Likely not with us. He just can’t convert enough shots. Likely a Jordan Clarkson type 6th man.

evo8lover and Tankeio like this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

I am at a 3 he could become a role player but his contract with us won’t let him so he needs to be moved. It’s not all his fault but it is his reality.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I ain't standing nowhere close to him. Not trying to humped.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

We really should create a thread called "The Curious Case of Jalen Green". Because it is curious. Let's look at his rookie splits:

Games: 67
    FGA: 14.2
    FG% 42.6%
    3P%: 34.3%
    EFG: 50.8%
    Reb/Assist: 3.4/2.6
    Pts: 17.3

Now his junior splits:

Games: 24
    FGA: 14.3
    FG%: 41.6%
    3P%: 33.1%
    EFG: 47.1%
    Reb/Assist: 4.5/3.2
    Pts: 17.5

It is a little weird. How is he statistically worse than rookie Jalen Green? It makes almost no sense. He has improved as a playmaker/rebounder, but regressed everywhere else. Everywhere that really matters for his position and his archetype. He's a rhythm player and sort of reminds me of what Harden said a few weeks back. That he felt shackled in Philly and that "he is the system". I do wonder if Ime/Jalen fit as a pairing. I don't think that Jalen suddenly forgot how to play basketball between his sophomore and junior seasons. But having the green light to just shoot whatever, whenever for most of his existence and then suddenly being asked to be in a system might not work for him. I don't think Jalen is a bad player at all. I just might think he's a bad fit on this team. This system needs a 3 and D wing with incredible efficiency. Jalen is the antithesis to that. He would fit a D'antoni/Carlisle YOLO ball.

BigShasta and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

@YOLO

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The margins are ~1% in shooting percentage and 3 point percentage from rookie year to this season. That's well within the expected margin of error. He hasn't really "regressed" he just hasn't improved.

I've been one of his biggest critics but the fact remains if he can simply improve his shooting, it fixes everything.
    But as long as he shoots these percentages, it won't matter what offensive scheme he's in he's going to be criticized.

IvanLCPM, kubli9, Rocketeer and 3 others like this.
  17. MystikArkitect

Lower, no matter how much, is regression. Especially when you throw in this being his 3rd season. Ime harped a lot about "good shots" right after his hire. How many of this team takes good shots right now? I'd say our two primary ball handlers take the worst shots. Fred makes them but they're still bad shots. Jalen is the same except he makes them less than Fred does. We have a bottom half offense because our starting backcourt is sub-40% from the field overall. FVV at least offers playmaking and takes care of the basketball. If Jalen was a better shooter, we could deal with his turnovers and loose handle. I just don't think that Jalen at 14 shots per night is conducive to success with him. He needs more like 22.

Another issue that is starting to murmur is Ime's rotations. Jalen or Jabari get hot, get sat halfway through the 1st because that's just what happens, and then they don't score again for 2 quarters. The rotations at times seem very jarring and abrupt.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not a Rocket.

DD

evo8lover likes this.
  19. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This. The kid is simply just not hitting shots. All this talk about lack of skill, and all that is bs at this point (not saying he doesn't need to improve, he does). But he isn't hitting and its affecting other areas of his game and now to the point where he is "thinking" way too much on every possession. He's lost all confidence and now he's running out of time with this team and I think he feels it. I'm comfortable with whatever Ime decides with him, but I'd still like to see Whitmore get some minutes at the 2.

majicdonjuan and Corrosion like this.
  20. Risingred

Risingred Member

A bust; a role player at best. A third year 2nd round pick with no calling card, there's no freaking way to defend him. His shooting has been inconsistent and below league averages, his ball handling is shaky, he can't defend to save his life, plus low basketball IQ. At this point, I'll trade him for Caruso straight up without any buyer remorse.