1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle hires Altuve-hater as Astros beat writer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Dec 13, 2023.

1. raining threes

Yep,

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I hope I never have to face this situation either.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The sad thing is I have now had to prepared for the eventuality.

raining threes likes this.
  3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Oh I agree, if indeed she is getting death threats then she should turn those over to the police and anything sending them should be prosecuted. I know that's not typically how it works, but that's what should happen

As for giving her a hard time because she gave one of our hero's a hard time....as they say, don't start none, won't be none

raining threes and ryan_98 like this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The media became part of the Government instead of a watchdog. It therefore lost credibility and trust.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This has been my deal all along on this

SHE started this with her Libel of Jose, and somehow many think that is fine but people responding to that isn't

And again, i'm not talking about anyone who potentially sent death threats

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Yes. Only Libtard Comedians get to do that.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I can only wonder what the Chronicle was thinking. IMO, they are 100% to blame for this mess. There must have been a lack of awareness about this woman by the person(s) who made the decision. They are probably wishing she would change her mind so they can move on.

One other point: Astros fans in general should not be tainted by the small minority of kooks and morons who have abused and threatened her online. This is a fraudulent guilt by association.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I miss the days where we had endless threads about firing Dusty and benching Maldy... instead we got this forsaken topic to replace it.

9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Come on - you know you want to virtue signal some. This woman could be single and might read clutchfans!

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea if any of the thousands of journalists in the 90's had these issues, and neither do you. My guess is that threats and harassment have gotten much worse across social media platforms in general the past decade. To say if she shouldn't be a sports reporter if threats to harm her made her contemplate suicide just doesn't make sense to me though. Threats are threats, and can happen to anyone who airs and opinion online, to someone in public, or to someone in person. People of all occupations can break down mentally when threatened and harassed over and over. Online platforms make it easier to harass and troll anyone. When they allow it, they fuel the fire for the sickos to spew their threats of harm or violence to others. They don't stop those type posts from reaching the recipient.

11. raining threes

Or like I said, she's a proven liar and not to be believed.

Once a liar always a liar.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I understand your point, but is it an entirely predictable outcome? Nobody knows when they or anyone else could be triggered to the point of suicide, but it can happen.

I can see saying, maybe if you are scared of approaching criminals, or panic in threatening situation you shouldn't be a policeman, or if you blood or body fluids make you nauseous, you probably shouldn't be a nurse. But, saying someone shouldn't be a sports reporter if they don't want to be threatened with violence is a bit of a stretch. It's a scary thought. Should kids quit playing sports or doing anything where there are rival players or fans, because some might get crazy and threaten them? Should people quit taking jobs where they are required to enforce policies customers don't agree with? I mean, look at how many doctors, nurses, waitresses, store clerks, stewardesses, etc .. were threatened or attacked by nutjobs because of trying to enforce policies during the pandemic.

Kudos to you for making your kids aware of threats though. That being said, many kids have been threatened online, or bullied, who were driven to suicide. You can't tell those parents who lost their kids that it was a totally predictable outcome, because you didn't monitor everything they said or did online. The sad part is that nobody should have to avoid being a sports fan, journalist, or anything else simply out of fear of some crazy threatening to harm or kill them for their opinion.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Nobody should be threatened for their opinion on sports. That said the Chronicle is pretty much h worthless and she never should have been hired

ryan_98 likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You may be right, and she may be just attention seeking, or trying to put the crazy Astros fans. Regardless, nobody knows, so she should be left alone. I mean teens lie, but if your lying teen said they were suicidal they should be taken seriously.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really appreciate the tenor of your response.

Sadly, online bullying is pervasive enough that any adult engaging in social media should reasonably be expected to be prepared to encounter negative comments, even threats, especially if they say/do objectionable things. And any parent who allows their child online is being negligent if they don’t properly prepare their children for what they might encounter and the risks involved. Would I blame a parent whose child commits suicide after being bullied online? Of course not, that would be the height of cruelty. But I’m sure those parents DEFINITELY feel like they should have done a better job of that, and rightly so.

I wish society was different. I wish we had mechanisms in place to prevent online harassment and hold those abusers accountable. But we don’t. So If you use social media, and especially if you are a public figure, you’d better be prepared to deal with the risks.

raining threes and Htown Legend like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Deleted because I realized engaging that particular poster isn't going to change anything about their behavior.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Nor should it.

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I hear ya. It goes beyond freedom of speech in my eyes when it becomes harassment, abusive, or threatening. Fortunately, I can put those types on ignore on this forum. There's a group of guys who get their amusement off personal attacks of others or bullying.

19. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

The final outcome of her longevity with the Chron will directly depend on how the Astros players deal with this matter.
    If they give her access they have forgiven her.
    If they shut her out she will head back to Arlington and turn her Twitter account back on.

I stated this early on in this thread, but her distortion of the truth about Altuve may be a false opinion shared by many others in the media, and may be a factor in his attempt to be inducted into the HOF.
    Many sports writers hail from areas that there is a large amount of hate for the Stros. I live in NY and the Yankees being the Astros personal punching bag for a few years has left a bit of ptsd in these parts.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The chron sux and it's all on them. I hope they burn for giving her a voice and making this an issue.

Common sense that's lost to tribalism.

She called Jose a cheater and didn't budge. That doesn't mean she's necessarily in the group that gave Jose absolute **** with death threats, slurs, or wishes of cancer.

It's already questionable to enable your side's crazy to do that in kind, but she's getting the full wrath for every failing of that other group.

She can still feel depressed or suicidal even without people threatening her and with only insults and harassment. That's part of the job and maybe she thought she could handle the thousands of hate messages streaming to her box daily. Not many really can, and those who do usually make an extra zero or three than her current salary.

It's also a different generation so who knows.