1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. cbass

cbass Member

I agree with you 100%.

By “some of you guys” do you mean the one specific poster who made the claim that Jalen would be better if he stopped painting his nails and then proceeded to use the term “tranny” as an insult? If so, you should address them directly rather than using vague generalities like “some of you guys” imo.

OremLK, subtomic and GOATuve like this.
  2. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

That's fair. To be completely honest I didn't read the entire conversations once it deviated to the immature stuff which is why I used the term. You're right though as it does lump people in unfairly so I apologize for that. Was not my intention

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Top things a shooting guard needs to focus on:
    1. Shooting
    2. Finishing inside
    3. Dribbling

Things Jalen has gotten better at:
    1. Moving his feet on defense
    2. Passing around the perimeter
    3. Being benched

In overtime he was just floating around on both ends last night, as he does in almost every fourth quarter. He is looking more and more like Kevin Martin is his absolute ceiling.

The things I personally value the most in players are intelligence and grit. These are consistently the best traits in players from the 90s teams, Yao-Mac teams, tweener teams, Harden teams, and current team! I don't think Jalen has those.

I was apologetic for him last season because I wanted to see him without KPJ's own set of negative qualities and lack of ball-intelligence at PG. Well, I've seen it. It's bumming me out.

#1003 napalm06, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  4. cbass

cbass Member

No sweat bro and fair enough. I shouldn’t have let him get me into an insult battle.

subtomic and GOATuve like this.
  5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

He's always reminded me body-wise of a more explosive Kevin Martin, but Martin was savvy and slippery on the offensive end--something Jalen desperately needs to work on. They both do have a knack for drawing fouls because their frames sometimes exaggerate contact, but Martin was seeking it whereas Jalen gets his free throws often as a byproduct of his speed and occasional recklessness while attacking the rim.

If he gets as comfortable on offense as Rockets Kevin Martin, that's easily a 27-8 point scorer in today's NBA, plus Jalen's almost certainly going to end up a better defender than Martin if he keeps progressing on that end. That's a player who is easily all-star caliber, so one can only hope Jalen reaches that projection

6. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Unfortunately I think we're looking at JR Rider

napalm06 likes this.
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, this was funny. :D

8. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

Would you guys trade him for Kevin Hurerter and picks from the kings? Or who would ya like to trade him for?

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm not saying he’s a superstar but he’s already earning his contract so I don’t understand what the issue is

I would flip Green for Simons right now and not lose any sleep over Green’s lost potential

NewAge likes this.
  10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

i would take Kevin Martin any day over Jalen. He was the #1 scoring option for Sacramento and Houston. One of his years in Houston were elite by anyone’s standards. I think we don’t remember him as well as we should since we traded him for Harden, who was on another level

Jags, Richie_Rich and NewAge like this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like where this thread is going.

12. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really think Lucas broke his shot trying to speed it up … and I wonder if the coaching staff is working on it again…

Sometimes teams try and improve shooting motion and completely f it up

He also needs to work on his touch with floaters - need him to work with Holiday cause JG always ends up between a floater and shot which = brick

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The issue was I was talking about Green and someone tossed out Simons and I made a remark......there was no issue.

The truth is neither Sharpe or Simons can become Damian Lillard for them no matter how much they pay them.......

but they could end up being minor All Stars.....something along that line.

They are definitely on the lookout for the next Dame.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but if we picked Mobley, we probably wouldn't get Sengun, or if we did, probably not Jabari next year. I'd rather have Sengun/Smith than Mobley/Ivey?

anthony59237 and clutchdabear like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mobley and Allen worked out well, it all depends on the coach at that point....Silas cannot command a real Center......let alone a Twin Tower.

But yeah there would be concern with Shooting but it is not like Rockets are really shooting that well either.......

I think it is not necessarily Mobley, you could get Scottie Barnes or Franz .......it is the thinking that counts.....not whom you pick......you spot a guy that is special in his own way and who has potential to be much better than an average defender.

I am all for a draft guru who will go with his strong favorite instead of a Draft board.....I hate draft boards.....get your 5 guys that you like the most......

#1015 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2023
    Easy likes this.
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Kevin Martins scoring efficiency was absolutely elite. Essentially 40% from 3 during his prime. Would love to be able to say the same about Jalen some day. Optimism is dwindling.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Green just needs to finish with aggression. He might not be strong enough to overpower people at the rim, but he should still be strong enough to make it hurt to block him. Mass is only part of the equation for force.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Right now, a comparison to Corey Brewer would be an insult to Brewer.

19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

What about Mobley/Sharpe?

20. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

It's on Stone now. Ime's done an amazing job with the roster he has. If Stone can somehow get an upgrade at SG without having to trade any of the main core, then that would be the best bet. Move Jalen to the bench and see how he responds to a 6th (or 7th) man role. It may be best for the Rockets and Jalen for him to go up against second units.

If he does get traded then the Rockets don't necessarily need an "upcoming star" in return. They badly need the type of players who lit their ass up last night. One of them is fresh out of the G League. Someone who plays smart, can shoot and just be ok defensively would be great for the Rockets.

Hopefully Amen stays healthy from here on out and Cam starts earning some minutes on the team. If they can breakout this season then Jalen off the bench could be a problem for the league. If he's traded alone or packaged with other teammates, I just hope they get some great shooters in return. I hate those floaters he shoots from the free throw line when he can just shoot the damn ball lol.

Strength (or lack thereof) isn't the issue. Many great players like Iverson, Arenas, Jamal Crawford, Monte Ellis, Lou Williams etc. are all built similar to Jalen. They weren't even all great defensively. The difference is they were smart players. Jalen lacks basic fundamentals and his bbIQ is lower than his knee caps.

#1020 BasketballMind, Dec 19, 2023
    BallSoHarden likes this.