1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari’s out here catching strays for no reason

Also Cade has been pretty bad this season, like the Pistons fans are more down on him than we are with Jalen by far.

And I’m still not convinced Paolo will be a more useful player long-term than Bari

Corrosion, anthony59237, Nook and 2 others like this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he gets it together soon, and while he’s on the Rockets. He truly does have generational physical gifts and he’s a really likeable kid. He just gets so frustrating to watch sometimes, though. Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t care enough

3. cumutk

cumutk Member

I liked your optimism and as a Rockets fan, l also would like to. But problem about him is much deeper:
    1.this kid has zero to no main basketball fundamentals, l really dont know what is his professional basketball background but he does not look like he played in real competition before.
    2.Basketball is not played only with physical gifts, athleticism, it needs basketball iq to compliment with it. Yo can gain muscles in the weight room, but you cant gain basketball iq that much easy.
    He needs someone, a basketball teacher to teach him like he plays basketball in college and needs to show him how to pass, when to pass, how to shoot etc.

Sad thing is your #2 draft, the player you want to build around seems just like a at best nba role player who should come from the bench and play 15-20 max minutes..

4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

It’s ok that we have different opinions on him, my takes always skew towards the optimistic because I see basketball as a form of escapist fantasy where hopefully the good guys (us) will always win in the end :p

Right now Jalen hasn’t done anything to assuage your concerns about his game, and I completely agree that his main problem is that he has no go-to scoring move, which is pretty damning as someone who is expected to be our star scorer.

Some of the positives that I see in his game are that he is very quick laterally, is a smooth and not purely vertical athlete, and is quite dexterous at finishing around the rim, when not being bumped.

Now, all of the things I just brought up are in the category of “physical gifts” that you already mentioned but I’m hoping that he can build some trustworthy basketball moves to go along with them. That’s all I ask for

cumutk likes this.
  5. Entropy

Entropy Member

Jalen "Shows up 1 in 3 games" Green strikes again. The only thing consistent about this guy is his inconsistency.

#905 Entropy, Dec 18, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  6. Joe Willie

Joe Willie Member

i think you’ve nailed it.

Roomba likes this.
  7. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Smith isn't a bust, he has improved across the board from his rookie season.

8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

In these two and a half years of watching Jalen I really don’t think I’ve seen many ho-hum 22 point games with decent efficiency that someone like Jamal Murray pumps out. It’s either boom or bust and he’s definitely not booming right now. The hallmark of a go-to scorer is how boring they can make their scoring seem. For Jalen it’s oftentimes like waiting for a moment of ecstasy that may or may not arrive

…I guess I know how all my exes feel now

anthony59237 and Entropy like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

10. cumutk

cumutk Member

Respect your valuable opinion, appreciate it.
    We dont need to look at from the same point of view.
    All we want is Rocket's success, Jalen Green is our player, infact l like his chemistry with Sengun also. Let time will tell us about him.

Ancient Moabite and Roomba like this.
  11. a time to chill

When JT Gatlin sours on you...it's over

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think I'm about done. It's been 24 games and he's averaging 17 points off 40% shooting and 33% from three. I expected a step forward and he's not just treading water, at this point it looks like a step backward, despite having a much better team surrounding him and a much better coach.

If Ime pulled him from the starting lineup next game I'd have no problem with it. I'd like to see what a Fred/Dillon/Tari/Bari/Alpi group could do. Tari isn't going to space the floor and give us the "go get a bucket" guy that we clearly need on the perimeter, but Jalen isn't doing that anyway. At least Tari will play his ass off, shut down stars on multiple key possessions, and get us a ton of offensive rebounds.

I don't know if Jalen is a total bust now and forever, but he's not the best player to have on the floor if we want to win games this season. I don't know what he needs. Probably a change of scenery at this point.

Go ahead and trade him for Lauri, Trey Murphy, Immanuel f***ing Quickley. I've lost my belief that he's going to figure it out. One game too many like this.

Hope he proves me wrong the rest of the season.

13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen’s got some work to do to win everyone back over

OremLK likes this.
  14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wish.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

16. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

aw man, we got to give Amen a chance first before trading him! He's got like what, three and a half games in? He might be our Magic Johnson for all we know

Little Bit, OremLK and harold bingo like this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The best ability is availability LOL :D

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Touché, my friend

ipaman likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Not worried about it. At this point he should not be extended at his max salary. If he wants a max salary extension, then he can start dropping 25 points a night - because the Rockets desperately need a scorer… if that doesn’t happen, then he has all of next year to prove he is special - and he can play the market and the Rockets can match if they want.

The defensive effort and awareness went from like a 1 to a 6-7…. So that is really impressive improvement. He is no longer a big liability defensively. He is now okay to slightly above average now.

Offensively has been a disappointment. With scoring in the league the way it is - 20 points a game is like 15 points years ago.

Green has the rest of the year to show he is a top 2-3 option on a very good team.

slothy420, KingSamJack, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Cade? From the Green draft- the best players have been Barnes, Wagner and Mobley. Cunningham has been as big a disappointment as Green.

The Jabari draft - meh, Holmgren or Banchero would be fine, but Smith has taken a big step forward this season.