1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why do we need Caruso though? Won't he just take minutes from Amen's development? And besides, Aaron Holiday is basically the smaller version--defensive bulldog combo guard who can knock down threes but isn't the best playmaker.

I'm onboard with grabbing Drummond for a song.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Are you seriously comparing Holiday to Caruso? I love Holiday, but Caruso may be the best parameter defender in the league. He’d fit our identify perfectly.

Corrosion and Dankstronaut like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Sure they will. 20m of immediate cap relief, a 1st and 2nd round picks that aren't 7 years away... send your guy out of conference... and we still have 2nds or a Nate Williams to sweeten the pot. What contender has a better offer? Let em overpay.

No I think he replaces Holiday not Amen. Caruso is easily an upgrade for either though.

I don't think the money works there unless you ditch one of the other guys. Tate on a rebuilding Bulls makes as much sense as he did during our rebuild and honestly I'm a Tate-r. I want him here, with the rest of the dawgs.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't think he's saying Holiday is better than Caruso, just that Caruso's role is not the most pressing need. The Rockets are 2nd in defensive rating and 25th in offensive rating. Getting the best perimeter defender in the league would have diminishing returns. We need a frontcourt player, a lights out shooter, and for Amen to develop. They have no backup at all for Sengun, I'm not even counting Landale as a possible rotation center. I love Caruso as a player, but he won't come cheap nor will he address our biggest weaknesses.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes, that was what I meant. Holiday is obviously not as good as Caruso, but he fills a similar role and he's doing a pretty good job of it. I'm just skeptical that the marginal gains are worth it. We have a lot of great perimeter defenders already. We don't have an elite play finisher/shotmaker or a backup center.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

What's in OKC's war chest? The picks and swaps from Houston were supposed to be their most valuable assets, but we are looking like a playoff team rather than a bottom dweller. Many of their future 1st round picks are from Denver, Philadelphia, or the Clippers which are all loaded teams. Miami's pick is lottery protected. Plus, Utah already has so many future 1st round picks from Minny from the Gobert trade. I don't think they'll accept only draft picks for Markkanen, they'll want a blue chip prospect.

I think what Utah would want is Jalen Williams, salary filler, plus a couple of picks. Giddey would fit in with Utah complexion-wise but his value is in the toilet at the moment.

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Jalen Green+Jaesean Tate+2024 Brooklyn FRP+2027 Rockets FRP fir Jarace Walker and Buddy Hield.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Utah might also be interested in Cason Wallace. He's played well and looks like a potential starter.

Where does Cam Whitmore stand versus Jalen Williams? I personally feel like he has more upside, and Williams probably tops out around 20/5/4 off of very good efficiency, but Cam could end up being a notch higher than that. However, Williams is vastly more proven. You can feel confident he's at least a starter or a good 6th man.

9. MrButtocks

Jalen Williams has proven to be a very good basketball player already. Last season he expanded his game when SGA was out, averaging about those numbers you suggested albeit on a small sample size.

I doubt Utah values Whitmore very much. They passed on him at #9 and #16 for Taylor Hendricks and Keyonte George. If they thought Cam had star potential they wouldn't have done that. Explosive scoring games in the G league probably haven't changed their mind. I like Cam's potential but he has a long way to go.

Y2JT likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No thanks.

dmoneybangbang and Corrosion like this.
  11. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Is Ja Morant still suspended? Would he be able to return to NBA?

12. Houston77

Supporting Member

He’s coming back Dec 19.

saleem likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

He's back next Tuesday. Also did a new press conference.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

15. dmoneybangbang

How are we feeling about Wendall Carter Jr?

ApolloRLB likes this.
  16. Houston77

Supporting Member

Is he available? I’d love to trade for him. Sengun / Smith / Carter Jr. would be a great frontcourt rotation.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

No thanks. Too short, too out of shape, and he's sucked just about as bad as Jock this season. We can do better

jb86, saleem and Y2JT like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

There's no reporting, just me tossing out a name. I think that would be a great front court too.

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

Thoughts? Would you give up “five-ish picks” for Markkanen?

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I thought I was a little higher than most on his value. Five-ish picks seems a little steep.

Corrosion likes this.