1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle hires Altuve-hater as Astros beat writer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Dec 13, 2023.

1. vince

vince Member

Why does it look terrible? If it were a dude, would you say the same? Are you inferring that women are above being criticized regardless of what ideas they communicate, just because they are women?

Granted I haven’t seen what folks are saying about her, but she’s a journalist, criticism has always been a part of the profession.

2. Radricky

Radricky Member

Yes I would say the same if it were a dude and he was being harassed online, having trashy dudes threaten him, and was trying to get him fired.
    The entire thing is ridiculous.

Buck Turgidson, Pringles and jim1961 like this.
  3. vince

vince Member

I switched 610 sports talk radio off after I heard the audio turd that Josh Innis, and I never turned back outside listening to a Texans game here or there. I don’t know who hosts what show or anything of their programming.

Josh Innis was nepotism on feet, the son of the man who voiced either scooby doo or shaggy? Oh did I say he was a turd on the radio that wanted to be shock jock more than talk about sports. I still haven’t forgiven 610 for that abomination.

4. vince

vince Member

Good for you that you are an enlightened soul; the chronicle needs your patronage and folks like you. Not for the money but for the support and clicks.

I on the other hand, have not subscribed to the chronicle in eons, and with this type of hiring, not going to restart now. I could give a darn what they say! I much rather read the takes from folks here on Clutchfans.

I have no problem with subscribers airing their disdain for this sports writer. Though the folks at the Chronicle aren’t stupid, they obviously were anticipating this type of backlash; hence no amount of complaining is going to relieve her of her job. Plus the chronicle being a part of Hearst media empire can sustain any city newspaper even at massive losses.

It’s just another jab by the national media to the Astros fans about the sign stealing fiasco, which the Astros stole from the Yankees and Red Sox. Notice how the Yankees haven’t won anything since their little trick was exposed. The Red Sox won their last title still using the sign stealing, and got but a slap in the wrist.

National Sports media is mad that the cash cow that was the Yankees, and the so called Yankee edge is as dull as a butter knife.

Stephen66 likes this.
  5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm not saying she is a liar or anything...but I've seen so, so, so many people on social media that get backlash or cancelled pull the "I'm getting death threats!" parachute cord whenever the heat gets too much and they're desperate for sympathy. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm against attacking and insulting her directly on social media. The best way to get back at her is cancel your subscription to the Chron if you have one and refuse to read any of her articles.

astros99, vince and Stephen66 like this.
  6. Radricky

Radricky Member

I couldn’t care less about the chronicle lol.
    I’m just not a fan of cyber bullying and trying to ruin this chicks career because she tweeted Altuve is a cheater.

jim1961 likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm never gonna say any kind of online bullying and name calling is right, even if the person pisses me off.

Having said that, if you are a public figure on twitter..it's gonna come with the territory. I'm honestly surprised she took this job knowing that she's talked s**t about Altuve in the past and didn't think to delete it. Again not saying it's right, but there are tens of thousands of Astros fans with twitter (and given the last few years we're a pretty defensive bunch), that was always gonna get dug up, and it isn't exactly the distant past.

Rock Block, vince and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Calling Altuve a cheater was not the issue to me. Many people have done that.

It was that less than 3 months ago, after everything that he has done, not done, and been reported about him and his character, she said Altuve does not deserve any respect and she will not respect him.

There is a big difference.

But cyber bullying (or real bullying) is never ok.

Boycott, make your feelings known and tell people straight out how you feel and why. Never include threats or name-calling.

FuryFC and vince like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah this girl (and whoever hired her) is learning a tough lesson. Obviously you always wish everyone would take the high road but aside from actual celebrities and Uber-wealthy people, journalists might be at the top of the list of people who need to be able to handle online heckling. If literally anything anyone said on Twitter made her suicidal, she is probably in the wrong line of work or has a lot of self-care to do before she’s ready to actually fully do the job she just accepted.

I have a big soft spot for mentally ill people, so I feel for her, but her immediate retreat to victimhood is still off putting. This is just one of those situations where nobody seems to win.

All she had to do was express her regret and then take the first legitimate opportunity to reverse her opinion on Altuve. Thats still her best move. Either way it’ll blow over and hopefully she’s able to maintain some perspective.

Qan and Pringles like this.
  10. Pringles

Pringles Member

Astros fans have been a bit too much on social media. A bit unbearable at times.

prospecthugger and Radricky like this.
  11. Pringles

Pringles Member

I was gonna say she probably learning a lot on the fly, but then realized she is around my age (late twenties, early thirties). She should have known better than to make those comments about Altuve especially when you're in that profession where opportunities are extremely limited and you take what you can get.

12. Buck Turgidson

If people don't like her (or anyone's) reporting on the Astros, it's very easy to not give her clicks, not post her tweets/articles, and generally just ignore her. The situation would then sort itself out.

vince, Pringles and Major like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

Weird combo of sentences in the same post. Why comment about something when you admittedly have no idea what the issue is?

cmlmel77 likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

In the modern world, the harassment goes much further. It would be pretty easy for idiots to find her address, find her family, leave death threat voicemails, etc. And all it takes is a couple of those people thinking it's OK, encouraged by all the "regular" haters that just do it online. She had her entire life turned upside down in the last week because of what - a couple of twitter posts? Take the stupidest things you've said online and imagine thousands of people one day finding it and all making it their mission to harass you for it while you're simply trying to live your life. Imagine you getting a job with the Astros and everyone finding all the shitposting you did about them last year and how horrible they were for not spending more money and not caring about winning and whatever else, and then imagine all of Astros nation coming after you personally and trying to get you fired for it.

I owned an internet company back in the early days of the internet and in my early 20's. I designed games and had lots of people who loved me and lots who hated me for various reasons. The first time I got a death threat voicemail on my home phone and learned someone had stopped by my UPS Store mailbox looking for me was really freaky. And that was in the days before social media where one crazy person could be amplified by tens of thousands in a feeding frenzy that just encourages more people to justify it like this where "being verbally attacked is just part of the job". Maybe it is today, but it doesn't mean it should be nor that it's an acceptable thing, nor should anyone be defending it.

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Of all the major cities, Houston has the worst set of sports media outlets in America. Outside of a handful of people, there are just too many hosts and writers that either completely phone it in or seem to hate their audience and the subjects they cover. I can’t imagine New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, even Miami having a sports legend of Altuve’s caliber and just letting him be smeared and delegitimized nationally, year after year, as a cheat despite evidence to the contrary. Now you have columnists like Jerome Solomon scolding fans and telling them to take Altuve’s lead and just say nothing. That’s the problem.

Leah Vann and stadiums of fans across the country have an irrational hatred for Altuve because Houston sports media figures like Solomon didn’t do enough to loudly and consistently debunk the allegations and educate not just fans but their sports media colleagues across the country. So now Astros/Altuve supporters act stupidly online trying to defend him on their own and it turns into a mess because they don’t have the maturity or intellect to make arguments without getting personal.

No one should be cyber-bullied, but Altuve deserved/deserves a loud, thoughtful, full-throated defense and it’s a shame no one with a large sports media platform has ever bothered to do it.

Invisible Fan, FuryFC, cbass and 6 others like this.
  16. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

If this lady would have posted that she doesn't respect Judge because she thinks he's on steroids and then was hired by a New York newspaper she would have been obliterated even worse...Houston is cake, like they say money talks, if she starts costing the Chronicle money she's going to be gone...

Invisible Fan, Qan and Stephen66 like this.
  17. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I'm loving all of this. I hope she continues to get the business. (Evil laugh)

Stephen66 and Sep11ie like this.
  18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

“I AM THE ENEMY”

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I was a journalism major, but I never worked in the field because it is a field of b****es, and I figured out I’m not a b****.

Terrible, insecure, drama queen nobodies work in journalism. The Ken Rosenthals of the world.

Yes, there are exceptions. The exceptions prove the rule.

20. Buck Turgidson

Wow.

This was at UT?