1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle hires Altuve-hater as Astros beat writer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrish23, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly. In many ways the lack of a media market "backbone" is what allowed the cheating scandal story to run away with itself in the first place. Absolutely no media presence whatsoever here that has national respect. If so, writers would have had second thoughts about triple-downing on a story that would try and scapegoat/pin any use of technology for "advantage" allegation on just one team.

2. Qan

Qan Member

She deserves it...to be fired. Fck the Rangers

The Beard likes this.
  3. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Yeah I get it. I would have done the same if I were in her shoes for sure. I think most fans are somewhat understanding.

What’s always bugged me about the whole scandal was every team was attempting to steal signs. And some did it more effectively. We know Beltran brought it over from his time with the Yankees. I believe there have been other documented incidents with the Dodgers and Red Sox.

She took an aggressive stance. At minimum, if she is now covering this franchise as a local beat writer where she will be required to interview and develop relationships with players, I would like to see her take questions about her very strong position on Altuve.

4. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Unless she’s able to do some effective crawfishing, I anticipate her to have the same challenges. She was unrelenting in her opinion. Granted she’s entitled to her opinion, but she also owns any fallout that may come with it.

It’s all good if she was taking on the role of a Rangers beat writer.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  5. Qan

Qan Member

Yeah, she really is an ignorant clown when she dissed the Astros and Altuve just recently. Hope people will stop harassing her though, even if she's a clown. I honestly will probably never even see or read 1 article from herin her tenure here in Houston.

astrosrule likes this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Altuve is such a class act he will treat her with utmost respect, which she or none of the other media a**holes deserve. Guess I’m not that classy, but our media as a whole is the scourge of our society.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i doubt she'll last long.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The twitter reaction is actually impressive. So apparently the only time Houston has a backbone is when it comes to harassing Astros beat-writers that are either douchey or fake.

Did Evan Drellich's book sell well?

The Athletic continues to look for its next "Astros scandal" story to keep it afloat.

Invisible Fan, vince and Stephen66 like this.
  10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean they had a Titans fan covering the Texans for many years.

vince and lnchan like this.
  11. Radricky

Radricky Member

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

Someone link me Steven a smiths rant please

13. conquistador#11

I thought we were all going to commit mass suicide, like the Cult with the Air Nikes, after all the smack talked to Rangers fans all season long only to lose in game 7. But it was an easy fix, blocked all words baseball, Rangers and World Series. =) It wasn't so bad.

Stephen66 and Radricky like this.
  14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I honestly hope she and chron separate. This is not going to go well for her unless she quickly does an article acknowledging the evidence that Altuve cheat and the flimsyness of the buzzer allegations, and doing a mea culpa. Fans are not going to relent on this issue and if anything, the volume will be dialed up the second she starts her job. It will be pure misery for her, and not fair to the Astros fan base. Even if she does this, there are some who won’t forgive or will brand it a self serving apology. I think that’s to be expected and tolerable for her.

I think the question is what are her goals big picture. Maybe it does not serve her well to be seen as cratering to fan pressure and “selling out” her true feelings, but dying on this hill is going to be painful.

15. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

vince likes this.
  16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

from a stirring the pot, click bait, modern media methodology it's brilliant - as such I will be abstaining from reading any of her content. plenty of other alternatives out there.

I remember one time on the drive home from work i was listenting to a young Josh Innes. He was terrible, i got frustrated with his stupid takes, called in and while venting to the screener - he said, well he got you to do what he wanted, didn't he? You're listening and called in. Message recieved loud and clear. Drop the call and change the station.

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Considering he is also the biggest advocate in trying to get Bud Adams into the hall of fame still...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Josh Innes is the worst thing to ever happen to Houston radio and never deserves sympathy. He plays victim more than Lebron.

DVauthrin, CheezeyBoy22 and vince like this.
  19. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

the dude was awful from the jump but somehow kept rising for awhile. Eventually it caught up to him and now he hosts a classic rock show in St Louis lol

The Beard likes this.
  20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

lol. Like I implied, I hung up and tuned to another station. This type of schtick is just meant to draw emotional reactions.

vince likes this.