1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to trade Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Nov 28, 2023.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

he still has until the end of the year for me to have a more concrete outlook on the type of player he'll be going forward but with a quarter of the year done, he wouldn't be someone I'm investing significant money in on a long term deal as of right now

harold bingo and evo8lover like this.
  2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I like Jalen Green, but he's got this season to figure it out before Rockets start engaging in trade talks for an upgrade.

With that being said, Amen had a great quote about the first stat he looks at is +/- because it determines how much playing time he gets. This must be a Udoka thing because I've never heard a player come out and say this.

Jalen Green played 24 minutes last night and had a -14 plus/minus.

Amen Thompson played 10 minutes and had a +7.

No need to overthink this one - Green is playing himself out of minutes and maybe out of the starting lineup.

NOTE: Jabari was +15...

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I dont think hes going to get to the end of the year playing at his current level. I think ime will bench him if he keeps playing like he has been.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think if Ime were not be hard pressed to win every game, he might have given him more minutes.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Handing Jalen Green's minutes to a capable veteran will give us multiple additional wins as a team.

PLENTY of high upside youth remains on the team without Jalen Green -- Sengun, Jabari, Cam, Amen, Tari... We should trade Jalen Green for a player who can shoot the 3-ball and defend.

6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

First part I agree with, but no need to get rid of him till seasons end.

He can be a boost off the bench worst case scenario as he's still explosive.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

There are plenty of SGs available that are very serviceable but could be looking for a small payday, Malik Monk, Trent Jr., THT, Melton, Grayson Allen o_O, and of course you have Cam who could cheaply take the reigns.

Regardless I think gets another year because he is cheap right now and you do have Cam in waiting.

8. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

alperen, jabari, tari - we have 3 players who are definite keepers/impact players.

out of jalen, amen, cam - ideally would be nice if all 3 pan out, but really just need one of them to pan out and be impactful. all 3 have huge worts - jalen (bad defense, low iq/mentally soft), amen (terrible perimeter shooting), cam (selfish, motor not always on). out of those 3, it seems more and more unlikely that jalen will pan out given what we've seen these past 3 seasons... bad iq is bad iq. he may be a hard worker/gym rat but his footwork, his decision making, his jump shot is still ****. he may be practicing a lot but it feels like he's just throwing up shots just for the sake of practicing, instead of actually being focused in perfecting his craft and being motivated to be one of the best in the nba. like someone said, he's still fading away on simple pull up jump shots and his form is ****... compare him to devin booker and dbook has textbook form and is efficient in just getting to his spots. nothing jalen does on the court feels fluid and natural - it's nothing like mj, kobe.. or even booker. add this to the fact that jalen will never be a plus defender no matter how hard he tries because he just doesn't have the defensive aptitude... i wish i am wrong about his offensive shortcomings but we've all seen plenty of him these past 3 yrs... there's something off about his form, his fluidity, getting to his spots on the court. he'll always have nights where he goes off but i just can't see a future where he'll ever be consistent. jordan clarkson/malik monk wouldn't be the worst outcome for the rockets as long as we don't commit huge money/yrs to him.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There are lots of 3&D players who can outperform Green's inconsistent start to the season but we don't need players who can just cut it. We need someone who can specifically develop into a major scoring threat from the perimeter worth the max. The would lift the offense tremendously. That's what this team is missing. That's the difference between us and being a treadmill team.

10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone gets too caught up in the idea that it's superstar or bust for Jalen. If his floor is Jordan Clarkson, Malik Monk, Kelly Oubre, Bogdan Bogdanovich etc, he can still have value to the Rockets the same way those guys have value to their teams. It all comes down to whether the team can sign him to a contract that matches his production.

That said, he shouldn't be untouchable in a trade if the right deal presents itself.

clutchdabear, JW86 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My faith is slipping. But he still has the potential to make you look stupid in the future if you get rid of him now. You trade him now, you are selling low. Might as well hold on to him and see what happens. Worst case is letting him go for nothing after next season. We still have a whole bunch of young and promising guys on the team. If he breaks out this season, you win.

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

100% not arguing that. Im saying Jalen didnt get benched, Tari balled out last night and deserved to continue. If Tari wasn't the literal best player on the court last night, he likely doesnt doesn't play the entire 4th.

Ime doesn't play favorites, he clearly believes in Green being one of his best 5 and his starter. If that wasnt the case he wouldn't be there, as shown in the 4th last night and at other times this season.

My only gripe about all the back and forth with green is its never, "wow Tari had a great game and deserved to play, rightfully so" its always just "jalen sucks ass", "jalen deserves to be benched", "cant wait till we trade this loser for nothing".

Its a shiitty piss poor negative mindset from a big group of our fan base.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Jalen Green signed a 4-Year (s) $40,808,448 contract with the Houston Rockets on August 04, 2021, with an annual average salary of $10,202,112.

So who do we get back that is an upgrade if we match a 10mm contract?

14. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

Could we not just try Whitmore? Give him half of Green’s minutes, or at least just play him a little bit. I think if he was in Green’s spot we’d be a better team. Cam has no bball IQ or willingness to pass, but honestly we just need buckets from that SG spot. And Jalen isn’t cutting it
    Plus Cam is a much better defender

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  15. YaoMingsSoulja

Great scorers find a way to get to the ft line, especially when their shot isn't falling. Jalen was getting to the ft line a ton in the beginning of the season, but now not so much. I'm not sure if defenses have adjusted to him, or maybe he's trying to do too much that he's not even thinking about getting to the line. Either way, being able to do this would be a huge boost for him and he needs to find a way to start doing this again.

Carpe82 likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think some people want to use him as a salary matching piece (probably attaching some kind of draft capital) and a more attractive player in a bigger deal. That's pretty much dumping him for very little.

Players under rookie contracts are supposed to be bargains. Most of them should be worth more than what they are making. If you see a guy worth less than his rookie contract, then you must have wasted a draft pick.

17. dmoneybangbang

This..... It's a very emotional outcome that is par the course for CF members.

It's just very emotional to start making decisions about Green's future so soon with a completely new coaching staff.

18. dmoneybangbang

If you want to trade Green.... then you need to start putting out trade ideas instead of just pretending like it doesn't matter.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Just throwing a few thoughts out...

If we keep him and he's not good he's either going to be playing a lot of minutes hindering the growth of the team -OR- he's going to get benched which will decrease his value regardless.

I wouldn't rule anything out, but I'm not high on Jalen becoming a much better player than he is now. But anything is possible.

I will say that the NBA has given up on a lot of lottery picks before they've finished their rookie contracts and almost all of those guys go on to not be anything special or out of the league in a few years.

Hopefully the Rockets don't have hoarders syndrome where they don't want to get rid of junk because they think it might come in handy later. Just declutter and move on.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

There is exactly one player on the roster who can create as well as Jalen and he does it in a completely different way and in a completely different place on the court. Again, I'm not saying Jalen does it nearly as consistently as anyone would like, but every single game he does several things with the ball in his hands that no one else on the roster can do (and frankly, not a ton of guys across the league). You wish those moments happened all the time, but you hope that he can refine and grow into a player that does access his top end skill set with regularity. It is worth being patient to find out.