1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to trade Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

2. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

At the end of the day, Jalen can create offensively in ways that no one else on our roster can. Yes, he doesn't do it nearly consistently enough, but this team can look absolutely desperate for creators most nights. I love guys like Bari, Tari, Brooks, and to a lesser extent FVV and Holiday, but none of them are guys who create. The coaching staff, I think, knows this, and are likely going to give Jalen a longer leash than maybe anyone on the roster because we NEED him to work more than anyone else. I know stupid CF threads don't affect anything, but for a guy who is so susceptible to waxing and waning confidence, I choose to keep sending our guy as many good vibes as possible. I believe.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Pairing Amen with VanVleet right now would not be a good idea. FVV and Sengun need players with potential to hit open 3’s. Cam might be a better option, but Ime obviously isn’t ready for Cam to get real minutes. Amen is going to be a superstar, but he needs to be a force off the bench and let Holiday or Jalen (if he is hot) be the outside shooting threat with the second unit. I think Ime has shown that he will roll with the unit that is playing the best together. Sometimes that will include Jalen, sometimes it will not. Right now teams still regard Jalen as a threat despite his poor TS% and that opens up other opportunities. He also gets to the line a lot and that is important as well.

BigMaloe and majicdonjuan like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You're right it's a very general number and meant to be indicative more than anything. I just think that's how long it takes for most players on a roster to become instinctive in a new system (and we've never seen that before from Jalen). I anticipate things click for him somewhere around mid season but at the same time I really feel like Cam and Amen will start making their case soon. That will be the bigger factor than his contract situation if he doesn't clearly outplay two rookies all season.

5. Rocketsglare

Rocketsglare Member

Jalen can score the ball. It’s the other things he has to improve on. He can’t defend and can’t drive to the basket properly without turning the ball over or throwing up a Hail Mary. He has this year to prove it . If a trade proposal package comes up for another all star , Stone should atleast be thinking about it.

No Worries and DaDakota like this.
  6. NewAge

NewAge Member

so you’re saying if someone is offering an all-star for Jalen Green Stone should think about it?

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If Jalen's play continues, I can see a future of Amen and Cam in the back court. I really like Jalen and thought he was going to be the face of the franchise but Amen showed me exactly what Ime has been saying about him since training camp....he is extra special!

I wish Jalen could step it up, I don't know what the issue is.

Crashlanded19 and evo8lover like this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What shooting guards are available in FA next year? The really good ones are not available in trade.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Completely agree with trading for an all-star if it doesn't include Sengun, Jabari, Amen, Brooks, or Tari. Everyone else including Jalen is fair game. I just know who this mythical all-star is.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I guess there's Harden.

11. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

On one hand, I agree that it seems the coaching staff has been trying to make getting Jalen going, especially early, a priority -- and that it seems to be because Ime is trying to do everything he possibly can to see if Jalen can be coached up to be the perimeter scoring option we need.

But, on the other hand, Ime has benched Jalen in the 4th three times now in the last 9 or 10 games.

So, yes, Ime does seem to be willing to exhaust all possibilities in seeing what we REALLY have with Jalen, and what he can be coached up to be. But Ime's leash on Jalen's mistakes is not that long (as he said in last night's presser, when players make the same mistakes in the second half as they did in the first, and which were talked about during half time, then the leash will be shorter), and if Green keeps getting sat in the 4th, I could see both the coach and the org starting to deprioritize him in the game to game scheme, and in the long term team building strategy.

MrButtocks and Rocketeer like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I hope you are kidding.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  13. HamJam

Sad thing is, he can't score the ball consistently either. It is the only thing he is "good" at, and he isn't consistently good at it. E.g. He had 7 points on 2 of 10 shooting last night.

Entropy, Y2JT and Bobbythegreat like this.
  14. HamJam

Immanuel Quickley is going to be an RFA this offseason. He's more of a combo guard than a pure SG, but he is a good shooter, can play on ball or off, and can defend 1's or 2's. He's a pretty underrated player imo. Can flow between being a 3 and D guy who guards two positions, to being an on ball guy. Would potentially be a nice long term fit with Amen, and could immediately start next to FVV.

Knicks are kinda flush at guard right now, so maybe a sign and trade for Quickley would be possible, so that the Knicks don't have to pay him (which they didn't want to do enough to extend him this last offseason), nor lose him for nothing. Heck, maybe even Jalen coming back to them as a big part of the deal.

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If we are gonna trade green, I hope its a reunion with harden the amount of btching will keep forum active for seasons to come. It won't happen but it will b funny.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The excuses keep mounting, but the results speak for themselves. Green is who he is. Middling shooting guard capable of big nights but too inconsistent to be a starter on a high level team.

This Rockets team has pretty much all the key pieces in place except for shooting guard. If they figure out that position, they're going to be dangerous. But Green ain't it.

Downtown Sniper and Entropy like this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, by then, Harden will be ready for a new team; as long as it isn't our team, amiright.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he accepts the vet minimum, he can tag along as the 13th option.....IDC.

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I actually think Harden finishes his career with the Clips as long as they are willing to give him a near max salary. He is playing really well and even he can’t be stupid enough to burn more bridges. Hell no, on the Rockets. We are set, especially at PG. Amen is the next Magic.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

You realize Jalen is 7th in offensive rating on this team right?

Wont even get into his embarrassing net rating.

Hes 8th in asst/to ratio
    Out of the rotation players he is 7th in ts%

There are plenty of players on the roster that can create offense better than Jalen given the opportunity.

Jalen fits the profile of a scorer more than some other guys but expectations dont always align with reality.

Downtown Sniper likes this.