1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you collect anything?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jul 29, 2022.

1. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Game used jerseys and bats.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I've liquidated my T-206s already. And about 1/2 of my patch cards. I still have most all my HOFer autographs (single signed balls, pics, framed cuts), a few more patch cards left and some true 1 of 1s. I "collected" only HOFers but obviously I accumulated a lot along the way. Also have some very rare sets but as a general rule, post 1975 MLB sets don't sell all that well regardless of the rarity. I have some sets where you got 1 card per case but still the set is pennies. I know they printed the common set in mass but I originally thought the subset's rarity would be collectable. But collectable value is more about where the number of collectors is greater than the number of things that exist. There are collectors today that still collect HOFer autos and there are a lot of deceased ones that have good value because of the rarity with most in collector's hands not wanting to sell. There will come a point where the heirs just want to liquidate after someone's passing. And will the next generation care so much to pay that much? I think the interest will wain over time. Hence why I think I'll sell when I retire. It gives me one last time with the collection (going through things I forgot I had) before passing it on to someone else who would enjoy it. And it will give me something to do at a relaxed pace. Once I get tired of it all, I may go auction house if there is any value left.

Edit: I just checked today and some of the set cards are good money. I may have to separate those and sell the high dollar singles separately and sell the lot for the rest. Man I thought I was underwater on my sets

Yeah comic values are in the age, story, illustrator and condition. I had a huge collection of Archie's growing up that got trashed along the way but those aren't the Marvel or DC that are highly sought after today so I don't feel I lost too much. I bought a few Hulks one year as a rookie collector on the cheap thinking I'd hold them (and maybe one day...) before I found out that artist makes a difference and I got the wrong illustrator.

#202 ArtV, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Dr of Dunk likes this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I finally recycled my lifelong collection of alkaline batteries at Staples. I no longer collect batteries.

BenignDMD and Xerobull like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, those old Archies from the 50s are worth a lot nowadays. It's a shame since you could get them for chump change just a few years ago, probably. People would kill for something like Pep #22, the first appearance of Archie in a comic book. A lower-grade copy just sold for around $70,000 a few months ago. I'm not a huge fan of Archie, but some of the ones that are popular like the inuendo covers, are really collectible. A lot of these comic book prices are correcting, or in the case of bronze, silver, etc. era comics, they've crashed back to pre-pandemic levels or close. I may have to switch from collecting golden age back to those in the next few months depending on the price trends, but golden age comics are some of the coolest in terms of nostalgia and history. I don't really mess with the modern stuff (post-1980s) for the most part - too generic, produced in volume, and boring to me.

ArtV likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Staples takes batteries back?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

7. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Guns. To many to count.

rockHEAD likes this.
  8. Xerobull