1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Amen Thompson recalled

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Dec 9, 2023.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His averages for the year are over in 50% in FG and over 45% on 3's. That's better than most players on the team. I'd love to see him take more shots.

Arnel, roslolian and saleem like this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Amen needs to be integrated slowly. That ankle obviously needs time to heal. Kid obviously has ways to go when it comes to strength and conditioning.

Sean Dr34ms, Arnel, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

injury prone bust. time to move on

4. 34to11

34to11 Member

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Don't be so pessimistic. Look at the long term picture.

Jontro likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

:(

Nook likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Excited to see him out there. Takes time to get over an ankle injury but we can really use 15 points and 5 assists from him off the bench.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m fine with Holiday off the bench. Early in the year, I didn’t get the love because his 3-pt shot wasn’t falling, now it is. I want him to take open shots generated off the offense. If he can get more shots that way, I’m great with it. I hope he can continue to play well. At some point, he is going to lose some minutes to Amen and Cam, because they are more multi-talented. Of course, if he continues to hit 45% on 3’s maybe not, but that will almost assuredly come down to Earth as will Dillon’s 3 pt shooting. He was a great signing, but a journeyman none the less.

anthony59237, OremLK and roslolian like this.
  9. SamFisher

kubli9, vince, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, he's not going to shoot like Steph Curry forever. Unless he does, in which case get that man a big new contract. But he (probably) won't.

The good thing is, like FVV, he can play off the ball alongside Amen just fine.

As for Cam, it's going to be a little harder for him to find minutes right now. If somebody in the backcourt gets hurt (knock on wood) or Holiday drops off or we make some kind of big trade an opportunity may open up for him. But getting reps and learning the systems in the G-League is probably okay for now while we work Amen into the lineup.

anthony59237 likes this.
  11. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Holiday is a product of the system imo. This team is insanely well-coached. The ball movement is top tier and there is not a selfish player in the bunch. What this means is that the ball will find its way to open shooters. Holiday can and does knock down those wide open looks (a few heat checks as well). I imagine there are a lot of NBA players who can knock down those open shots (spoiler: Amen isn’t one of them; Cam is if he can stay grounded) while also bringing more to the table (which both Amen and Cam do).

Holiday is honestly perfect in the role he’s in. Amen would be a plus to the ball movement but a minus to the shooting. Cam would be a minus to the ball movement and at BEST a wash when it comes to shooting. This is why he’s the odd man out IMO. He has all the tools but still needs to grow mentally. I believe he’ll get there though.

I think Amen can contribute too much to the team right now to sit in the G league. I agree with those saying play him as a point forward. The defense, athleticism on the break, vision/feel are all enough to grant him minutes. His lack of a jumper and his shaky handles have been the biggest struggles with him playing the 1. I think that’s where he lands eventually but ease him into it rather than tossing him the keys day 1. I see Amen being the primary playmaker off the bench at the three with Holiday being a knock down spot up shooter playing off him. If Amen is having an off night with regards to turnovers/FG% then he stays at the 3 and slides more into the Tari role as a slashing wing with Holiday being the primary playmaker. Basically his versatility gives us options and he’s too talented not get minutes somewhere.

burlesk and Corrosion like this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Welp, that unlocked a memory. Now I need to find some 227 reruns.

vince and JeffB like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Definitely take it game by game and Holiday has been real good.

14. opticon

opticon Member

Top 10 sitcom intro ever. Come at me.

Nook, vince and SamFisher like this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Busty Amen

Jontro likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Hopefully he strengthen those ankles with the tib/bar, if not those injuries will continue.

17. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

I don’t see Jeff Green getting many minutes unless Jabari just drops the ball. I believe Amen will always play with Fred or Holiday as primary ball handler until he can actually handle the ball correctly and should be used as wing defender like his brother Asur. So I definitely see Jabari working more on back up 5 when Sengün is resting and using Amen as 2-4 switch

18. SamFisher

Long single cam tracking shot - Sherm hits the double Dutch perfectly - meanwhile in Texas a young Wes Anderson sees it and decides he wants to make movies for a living

opticon and Nook like this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

20. jayydela

jayydela Member

Great news. Amen makes me feel better about not getting Cade Cunningham.