1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore to G-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by speedjames, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

@DreamShook

DreamShook likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

we in here fighting for Cam's career, lol

for safety.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Cam Whitmore 's time will come. Relax.

Aruba77, Nook, DreamShook and 2 others like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's a large gap between GLeague and NBA as Hartenstein will tell you. Even Garuba killed people in GLeague and he hasn't even played on the court much in 3 yrs.

6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Please don’t ever compare Cam to Nix ever again! Not even funny and you should be banned for saying such a thing!!!

7. invocux

invocux Member

His shooting will translate. He needs to play 15 minutes then we should slowly move on from Jalen.

Garuba didn't play because he was undersized and had butter fingers. Cam doesn't have physical limitations.

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

You don't want to hop on board the Nix train?

9. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Are they waiting for any starter to get injured before they even consider recalling Cam Whitmore from the G-League? Or is there a minimum number of games that he plays in the G-League before he is eligible to be recalled? Or is that the prerogative of Coach Ime Udoka?

Yes I agree the sooner they move away from Jalen Green the better.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

man Nix was balling in the g-league, I thought he was going to be the one. Then he became DD's favorite and he fell off a cliff. Im worried for Cam because DD loves him so much.

11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Been on that train and it crashed….

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Hell, there was a stretch early in the season where he was playing well in the NBA, he was shooting ~.420 from distance for the first three weeks or so, then he went downhill .... and crashed at the bottom.

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Not even DD can jinx Cam….he’s the real deal. Eventually he’ll replace Jalen Green, as Udoka doesn’t like his defensive lapses and low iq turnovers. He had a good game in Denver, so maybe there’s hope.

14. ilias

ilias Member

Just gleague highlights, but a lot of positives to take from these, especially when comparing with Green:
    • Good shooting mechanics, shoots in balance, doesn’t rush his shot, shoulders & feet aligned.
    • Good decisions when gaining separation - Green’s Achilles heel
    • Knows how to apply his athleticism to gain an advantage, both in finishing at the rim and off the ball movement
    • Careful with his dribbling in tight spaces. Went really low a few times to get to his spot, unlike Green who keeps his back straight and dribble high
    I don’t expect he will be a winning NBA player right now, but worth giving him 10 mins a night to improve his in-game decisioning and for him to get used to NBA speed and physicality. Needs to be coached not to be too eager or play selfishly for his own numbers. Hopefully he will learn soon that the play doesn’t finish when the ball gets to his hands. He needs to be taught how to see the next pass and play within the confines of a team structure. By end of year, he should have fully replaced Holiday in the rotation.

Shark44 and Hemingway like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought that train was built disproportionally fat in the middle and did not make it out of the first station.

16. j@amc

j@amc Member

When Cam was in the draft, I thought he was a forward, maybe slightly undersized, but a guy that could play the 3 in today's NBA. His athletic testing and shuttle time suggested that he could occasionally switch and guard 2s. Since we've been playing the Nuggets repeatedly, I thought he'd match up well with Christian Braun (6'6 220) or Julian Strawther (6'6 205). Maybe Cam could use some of his natural gifts to stay in front of a Michael Porter Jr (6'10 218).

The tape I looked at didn't show a lot of ball handling. It showed a wreckless, turnover-prone guy who crashed into smaller players. It looked like he would hit a wall when the NBA athleticism and scouting caught up with him. Bigger, taller players with wingspan at the 3-spot would give him trouble.

Ideally, I thought he would be quicker than Tate with a steadier shot, a more explosive option.

After seeing him play for RGV, I now realize I was wrong about his position. His previous coaches had him in the wrong spot. He's a 2-guard. His ball handling and decision-making are a work in progress, but he's a guard that should only switch to the 3-spot occasionally.

With more experience, he'll guard 2s with ease. He'll almost always have a strength advantage. His quickness translates today, and as he continues to work on his body (age 19! He doesn't turn 20 until July), he may be even more explosive.

On offense, he's a volume shooter, unafraid to take the uncontested look. The mechanics are there. He can take over a game. In this recent stint, he's learning to harness his athleticism to get easier looks than just barrelling through guys. But if he starts off against guards rather than bigger guys, he'll have more success.

Udoka was super smart to call up Amen and leave him behind. That may trigger a motivational factor in Cam that will propel him into a role with the big club. Excited to see more consistency and growth.

DaDakota, Corrosion, Shark44 and 3 others like this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Cam Whitmore looks like a take over the game guy, a go get a bucket guy. I'd love to see him as a 6th man microwave scorer with the current squad but I don't know where we find the minutes right now. Maybe if Aaron Holiday cools off it will be Cam's turn to take over those minutes and work his way up from there?

Shark44 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Remember when folks were worried he was going to pout down in RGV? Time to trade Tate and get this kid a few minutes.

19. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I agree on Tate. He serves no purpose here and has a good contract. He should be relatively easy to move. Only thing might be they're holding him to make him part of a bigger deal

That said, if Ime doesn't see him as a rotational player I'd rather he stay in the G-League to keep improving

20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I often wonder in a situation with silast still here and koj still off the team, would the starting lineup be Sengun, Jabari, Cam, Green, and Amen?