1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson recalled

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Id give him most of Uncle Jeff’s minutes. Jeff is a situational player at this point. Have him in there on those tough games

glimmertwins and HardenReturns like this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Tate’s minutes have already been reduced to next to nothing. Amen and Cam can also play his position. Now is the time to trade him and a draft pick if necessary to get a legit back-up center. The more he sits the bench, the more his trade value will go down.

burlesk, Plowman and withmustard like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think you can lower Tate's minutes at least a bit. Amen should be able to do everything he can do and more but he will make more rookie mistakes in the process. Also don't see Fred's minutes dipping below 30 unless Amen is playing amazingly well. He'll probably lose closer to 4-5 minutes.

4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

All great points, but with those 4 guards all sharing minutes, then several of them are being underplayed. All of them deserve 36 minutes a game right now based on potential, production or contract. This doesn't even include going big and putting Tate at guard, or like you mentioned getting Whitmore some minutes. It's like if I cook a 4lb cheeseburger for dinner, that can be very effective at feeding me, but is it best use of resources?

I actually love the rotation right now, if Amen and Whitmore didn't exist, then this wouldn't be an issue. These kids are too talented to not get some serious minutes, which means others are being short changed.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah, I was thinking FVV averaging around 30 would be ideal. That is not a heavy load for an NBA player his age. I don’t think Tate will get any minutes unless they still try to showcase him a bit or we have severe foul trouble. I like his hustle and he is an irritant on defense. However, he is a foul machine and is not an effective offensive player. Tari, Amen, and eventually Cam are going to spell Dillon and Jabari most of the time. I think Uncle Jeff continues to get about 10 mins a game until we get a legit backup center.

Mathloom, Plowman and OremLK like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

****, another defective player?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Adjustable rate mortgage

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

We've sucked against the press. Van vleet is good at a lot of things but he doesn't have the athleticism to beat that. Green has the speed but not decision making. Amen will be a huge help as teams deploy it more.

burlesk and RichieBanks223 like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t love the rotation right now. I love that Ime is not static in his thinking and will try and do something positive in reaction to the game’s flow. Right now, when Sengun goes to the bench we suck, FVV is playing monster minutes and that won’t be sustainable now that we are into a more normal NBA schedule. Holiday has been really good the last few games, but he is not effective when his shot is not falling. If his 3 stays this automatic he is a fine rotation player, but if not we either need to trade for a good shooting SG or give Cam a shot. Far and away the biggest need for this team is a back-up center that will at least let our defense keep us in the game, when Sengun sits.

10. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Ok. You're a troll. I'll just ignore you as others have suggested

Arnel and HardenReturns like this.
  11. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

I still believes in Tate to be the guy who save us from some crucial game by his insane dog mentality. Good thing you know which Tate you gonna get within 5 mins of the game he plays.

anthony59237 and Little Bit like this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Reported to Maude

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Can't wait to see 3 point guards on the floor at the same time.

14. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much agree with everything here. Our priority needs to be a rim protecting back up center, instead of a 5 or 6 deep guard rotation. It's too bad BKN has been winning, a few weeks ago it seemed we could find that center in the lottery with their pick.

anthony59237 likes this.
  15. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

There are zero reasons why Tate should get minutes over the 4th pick in the draft, even if Tate is marginally better right now (which I don't even believe).

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I like Holiday and I'm glad we have him, but man, it's too easy to predict when he's going to shoot.

As for Fred, we need to give him some help when people are pressuring him. Yeah, he gets it up the court but he expends a lot of energy and bigger guards can bully him a bit. Need to do what we can to take care of Fred when he's on the court as well as reduce his minutes by a bit.

Looking forward to seeing Amen ease into it over the next 10-12 games. If he is who we think he is, I would expect his minutes to start creeping up after that.

It's funny how many people on the Board are arguing Sengun vs. Green when we have no legit backup to either so far. With any luck, Amen allows us to cover one of those slots soon.

17. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I don't know who that is but enjoy trolling the forum with pointless jokes that nobody laughs at because you have nothing of substance to provide. I'm sure your high school friends find you amusing.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Amen.

Uhm...

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Holiday is a league minimum player if he was an unpredictable shooter he wouldn't be available for minimum.

Nobody is arguing Sengun vs Green some people on the board just hate Green.

I don't really get the confusion or discussion regarding playing time for Amen it's pretty simple FVV is currently playing 37.8 mins which is around his career high. The reason for this is simple we have no backup pg Aaron Holiday is more of a 3 with a little D than an actual pg, Ime tried starting Holiday when FVV was out and he sucked ass as the playmaker. Amen will come in and be the backup pg he'll get those 7 mins from FVV to start and prob eat away at 2-3 for additional minutes. The players from the bench should be given a set amount of PT and then the ones who are hot or playing well should be the ones who gets more time that game.

You are right backup C is the more pressing need. The one guy I can think of is Olynk. Detroit has bigs coming out of their ears and they keep losing so they prob don't need an old dude like Olynk. I'm not even sure why we let Olynk go tbh, he was balling on the Rockets.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tate and Amen don't play the same position. At the very least you dont want Amen getting played 2-5 with no thought process on how he can contribute. Tate is our glue guy we plug him anywhere there is a leak.

To me Amen is the guy with the highest ceiling on this team after Sengun. Rox should dedicate him to pg and have him master play making and shooting.